Is this to much of a stretch?

Battyvamp

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hello everyone.

I have a question, I am working on another novel and it is an urban fantasy romance. I was just wondering if this is to much of a stretch... My Female MC is Half Fae (Seelie), and Half Demon. I just haven't figured out exactly what type of Seelie Fae or Demon (been having a hard time researching the types. My google fu escapes me).

I thought about her having horns, small ones, and eventually she will get wings like a Fae, but they are black because of the demon side. Does this seem plausible? I am letting one persons reaction get to me and now I am not sure if this will work out.

Also want to know what you all think of my male MC being a warrior and a healer. He is to be Hawaiian or Native American, haven't decided yet, and he was supposed to be a twin but he absorbed his twin in utero. If his twin had survived one twin would have been the healer and the other twin would have been the warrior, but sense he absorbed him he is both.

Do either of my MC's sound feasible? Thanks in advance for any advice and insights you give me. :D

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
As with most things in writing, it's down to the execution.

What Seelie/Unseelie fae (and even demon) means in your world will determine plausibility; people have interpreted them in many ways, so unless you're basing it strictly on a specific iteration of traditional lore, all you have to do is be internally consistent in your own world. Horns and wings seem largely cosmetic to me; it's how the fae and demon manifest in the character herself that will (or should) matter most.

Ditto for the MMC, though I strongly suggest heavy research if you're going to use an existing culture, even more than the fae/demon angle. (There's a long tradition of people misusing/abusing Native American and traditional Hawaiian cultures, and unlike the fae and demons, these people actually exist.) Unless, of course, his abilities aren't related to his place of origin or traditional roots, and he just happens to be from Hawaii...

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
A half-fae half-demon character wouldn't make sense in, say, Twilight or Harry Potter, because it doesn't fit with those worlds. Anything can be plausible in fantasy if the world is set up for it to be.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be cautious about using the black=demon thing. Also, I had a moment about learning the warrior/healer mmc had "absorbed" his twin in utero. I think that would be a point to examine: it seems pretty brutal. (Either the "healer" twin had realised his greatest option for good was using his "warrior" twin's strengths, or the warrior twin had etc etc.) I would want to interrogate that - mostly because it seems like a fabulously rich vein to be mining.

But black=evil - nah. I'd do something else there.

Battyvamp

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I'd be cautious about using the black=demon thing. Also, I had a moment about learning the warrior/healer mmc had "absorbed" his twin in utero. I think that would be a point to examine: it seems pretty brutal. (Either the "healer" twin had realised his greatest option for good was using his "warrior" twin's strengths, or the warrior twin had etc etc.) I would want to interrogate that - mostly because it seems like a fabulously rich vein to be mining.

But black=evil - nah. I'd do something else there.

As with most things in writing, it's down to the execution.

What Seelie/Unseelie fae (and even demon) means in your world will determine plausibility; people have interpreted them in many ways, so unless you're basing it strictly on a specific iteration of traditional lore, all you have to do is be internally consistent in your own world. Horns and wings seem largely cosmetic to me; it's how the fae and demon manifest in the character herself that will (or should) matter most.

Ditto for the MMC, though I strongly suggest heavy research if you're going to use an existing culture, even more than the fae/demon angle. (There's a long tradition of people misusing/abusing Native American and traditional Hawaiian cultures, and unlike the fae and demons, these people actually exist.) Unless, of course, his abilities aren't related to his place of origin or traditional roots, and he just happens to be from Hawaii...

My world is a little bit of a bunch of different mythologies from a bunch of different inspirations. So I am hoping I can get it to work out.

Thank you everyone. I think I will change his heritage and what he does. I just have to think about it....thankfully I am only a couple pages into the novel, so it'll be easy to fix what I have so far. I want him to be some kind of warrior or healer....and that is what popped into my head, thanks to an inspiration to one the author's I like and two of their characters being one a healer and the other the warrior.