Who will read this?

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
A reviewer said the readers of my last YA novel would be restricted to "Literate, sophisticated, and cynical 16-20 year olds." My new book in the same style is a comic coming of age romance set in NYC in 1961. Should I pitch it as adult in the mode of Brighton Beach Memoirs or Summer of 42?

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
OT
If they really want to revive NA, maybe they should make the 'romance' a lot less significant. The couple of NA that I tried, and the many descriptions I've heard, suggest that NA was a way to age up YA characters so they could have sex, instead of just obsessively chasing guys.

Maybe books about young people going to college and actually learning new stuff, or getting jobs, and learning about adult expectations, or moving out on their own and learning to deal things on their own.
Instead of the Big Deal in so many being 'What guy shall I pick?'

If this is not RYFW, Admin, please delete.

TheKingsWit

Registered
Reaction score
I would recommend finding a few beta readers to test out your story on. Your reviewer's assessment could be off the mark, or it might not apply to your new book in the same way, particularly with the comedy/romance elements. Asking members of your potential target audiences should give you a better idea though.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
My main boy and girl characters are about fifteen.