HELP!

Just a Mum

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Elaine and I'm mum to two dyslexic kids, the sensible one and the potato couch;)
My youngest aka potato couch, has recently shown an interest in graphic novels, and has started making her own wee strips using a gacha life app. Wanting to encourage her I need information, and who better to ask but the writers themselves? And to have a place I can ask those questions I cannot answer.

Having had a not so quick look at the forums/boards (hope the new server etc is up running soon), and getting lost, could someone guide me to a thread about comic creator apps/software?

Thank you
Elaine

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
There's a sub forum about comics and graphic novels here.

Most of the people I know doing comics draw the old fashioned way, then digitize/scan, to color.

What computer OS/ Device OS are you looking for apps for?

That would help us help you.

And definitely check out YouTube videos; you though, not your child because there's a lot there that isn't kid friendly.

And you keep cheering kids on, and they'll be ok.

— Lisa the dyslexic Ph.D. and forum admin

Just a Mum

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, we have windows 10 on a laptop, and that's as technical as I get. My daughter is not confident with holding pencils etc, but after seeing how she has improved with her reading (during lockdown) with Gacha Life stuff and Roblox (from reading age 6 to 9 years in 5 months), Santa is bringing her a graphics pad. She loves making up wee stories but cannot get it onto paper as she wants it.
She also has hearing loss, so I am keen to encourage any form of communication where she can express herself.
Thanks.
Elaine

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Is your daughter's problem with pencils a manual thing? She finds them hard to hold onto? If so, check out an office supply store, or section of a big-box - there are soft, rubbery grippers that you can slide onto pencils, pens, etc, that make them larger and 'grabbier' so they are less finicky to hold. They make 'em for people with dexterity problems, like my increasing arthritis.
Even with a graphics pad, it might help with the e-pen.

From 6 to 9 in reading age in 5 months? Your daughter has a lot of potential.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

You may want to try the Art and Design Thread too.

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Hi Elaine, and welcome! I don't have any recs for comic-specific apps/programs, but for art/drawing, there's one called Clip Studio Paint that all my art friends adore. It's a Photoshop alternative that doesn't charge on a subscription basis, and people have made hundreds of brushes and tutorials to do any sort of art you could imagine in it. It's usually $50 but it very frequently goes on sale for $25. I would absolutely recommend it for your daughter to art around with.

Just a Mum

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, I have had a quick look at it and it looks great! I have book marked it.

Elaine

Just a Mum

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, there is so much to this forum! Trying to get a balance between reading the stickies and browsing some of the posts.

Just a Mum

Registered
Reaction score
Just trying out another style of grippers, my eldest likes them. My youngest's biggest problem, she's stubborn! I'm hoping that I can get something that really sparks her interest, and since her adventures on the computer have aided her reading so far, and her wee gacha strips I'm all for encouraging this, especially as she's taken a shine to the Phoebe and her Unicorn books :)