Supreme Court declines to hear PA absentee ballot case

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
https://www.usnews.com/news/elections/articles/2020-11-16/supreme-court-declines-to-take-up-pennsylvania-absentee-ballot-case

US News said:
THE SUPREME COURT ON Monday took no action on a case challenging Pennsylvania's absentee ballot receipt deadline, a few days after Republican efforts were dealt a blow in a lower court regarding late-arriving ballots.

Republicans have asked the high court to block all absentee ballots that arrived after Election Day. The justices previously upheld a Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruling for ballots to count that arrived up to three days after the election as long as they were postmarked by Nov. 3. State Republicans are seeking to bring the case back before the Supreme Court, and President Donald Trump's team has also asked the justices to intervene in the matter. The Supreme Court didn’t grant any new cases on Monday morning, but could still decide whether to consider the challenge in the future.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Frankly, it amazes me that counting ballots that were postmarked by election day was ever a thing. Three days seems tight. Most mail would likely arrive within three days, but occasionally a letter takes longer to get to its destination. In my own state, ballots postmarked by election day are counted if they arrive within 17 days after the election date. I don't think anyone has ever challenged this. Of course, we're not a swing state and the Presidential election count is never even close. It does mean it takes a while to know for sure with closer races or ballot initiatives within the state, however.

It's hard to imagine a letter taking that long to arrive, but now and again something does get held up in the mail and arrives slightly tattered and encased in one of those plastic baggies with an apology note from the USPS. I have images of one of their drug or explosive sniffing dogs having a moment of "fun" with it, but it's more likely that it was fed into one of their machines poorly.