• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Prehistoric Peruvian Woman was likely a big game hunter

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...tu9NM8a7Nzf6Od7yn-WjglnwmCt9clmR6FPblEuxLIO6A

Archaeologists in Peru have found the 9,000-year-old skeleton of a young woman who appears to have been a big-game hunter. Combined with other evidence, the researchers argue in the journal Science Advances, the discovery points to greater involvement of hunter-gatherer women in bringing down large animals than previously believed.

The team found the grave at Wilamaya Patjxa, a high-altitude site in Peru, in 2018. As lead author Randall Haas, an archaeologist at the University of California, Davis, tells the New York Times’ James Gorman, he and his colleagues were excited to find numerous projectile points and stone tools buried alongside the skeletal remains.

Originally, the researchers thought that they’d unearthed the grave of a man.

“Oh, he must have been a great chief,” Haas recalls the team saying. “He was a great hunter.”

But subsequent study showed that the bones were lighter than those of a typical male, and an analysis of proteins in the person’s dental enamel confirmed that the bones belonged to a woman who was probably between 17 and 19 years old.

Per the paper, the hunter was not a unique, gender nonconforming individual, or even a member of an unusually egalitarian society. Looking at published records of 429 burials across the Americas in the late Pleistocene and early Holocene epochs, the team identified 27 individuals buried with big-game hunting tools. Of these, 11 were female and 15 were male. The breakdown, the authors write, suggests that “female participation in big-game hunting was likely non-trivial.”

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And it makes total sense: if a small group of people are surviving by hunting large mammals, then any of the group with the strength to 'man' a spear, or whatever the weapon is, is going to be encouraged to 'man' up and take part.
I suspect that on the 'gathering' end of 'hunter/gatherer', a man unable to keep up, or wield a weapon, would go out with the women, gathering plants, or catching smaller game.
We all gotta work together, or nobody survives.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
I saw this and it's really cool. Stuff like this always makes me think of how we just assumed the big bee in charge was the King Bee for centuries because we couldn't get over our cultural biases of a woman being in charge. There's probably so, so many things like burial sites that have been interpreted wrong over the years because people refused to consider that a woman could be a hunter or warrior (or that a couple could be gay, or what have you).

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I can understand why this has generated interest, but it's really nothing that surprising, at least to researches who have made an effort not to be ethnocentric (in the context of palaeoanthropology, being male-centric because you come from a male dominated culture counts as being ethnocentric because it's interpreting other cultures through the lens of your own culture).

The BaMbuti people of the Congo are a modern hunter-gatherer society where men and women hunt and gather together and men share childcare duties with the women (to the point that they were once dubbed "the tribe of lactating men" because men suckle babies to comfort them albeit they don't actually lactate), and they don't have gender roles and are likely to be the least sexist society on the entire planet (or joint least sexist with other indigenous people of the Congo rainforest). Even though the majority of hunter-gatherer societies do have gender roles (men hunting and women gathering) it's not unheard of for women to hunt and men to gather in these societies. They tend to be a lot more flexible than people have been led to believe, for example girls learning to hunt with the boys then hunting as teenagers and young women and stopping when they become pregnant. Which, given the age of this Peruvian woman, is another possible scenario for her people. Though the idea of men and women hunting together is also very plausible.

Unfortunately a lot people have only heard very outdated, ethnocentric interpretations both of the fossil record and of recently-contacted modern hunter-gatherer peoples. Western, male anthropologists went over there, observed what the men did, paid very little attention to what the women did, saw that it was the men who went hunting, assumed this must be true for all human societies for the entire time humans existed and also assumed there were strict taboos against women hunting. When people have gone over there more recently to get to know people from these societies while making an effort to not be ethnocentric and also find out what the women are doing, they found quite a different reality, but as none of this gets taught properly in schools, universities etc, people just carry on believing the myths, including holding horrible and extremely damaging racist stereotypes about modern hunter-gatherers, together with believing that our ancestors were a load of brutes and human culture didn't ever become anything until agriculture was invented. The whole men always hunt and women always stay at home and don't do anything, err, err, I mean gather a few berries and look after the children is an idea that persists very strongly. The idea that women go gathering therefore it's not as important as hunting also comes from western ethnocentricism. Hunter-gatherer societies value hunters and gatherers, and most are relatively egalitarian in terms of sexism because the role of gatherer is so important. And men can be gatherers and women can be hunters.

Another thing I've seen a lot in the past is the assumption by western male anthropologists that all toolmaking was done by men. Ditto cave painting and all kinds of other impressive things. However there's quite a lot of evidence for women making tools and doing cave painting, and in the absence of evidence, there is no reason whatsoever to default everything to "men did it and women didn't do anything interesting".

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Totally agree, neandermagnon.

Humans are amazingly diverse and adaptable. It's kind of our hallmark as a species. But I'm sure some folks will still argue passionately that it's not possible for women to have done this, or posit dozens of alternative explanations for women being buried with hunter's paraphernalia, just as some people get very passionate in their arguments against their have ever been any female warriors in more recent civilizations.

Of course all alternative explanations should be considered, but some people seem to have more than just scientific rigor invested in their arguments against less inflexible gender roles in different times and places in history.

It's not just regarding war and hunting either. I recently saw some articles about evidence that some of the beautiful work on medieval religious texts was (at least occasionally) performed by nuns as well as monks (based on the presence of expensive pigments, such as laips lazuli in the tarter of a nun's teeth).

There are plenty of examples of assumptions in biology being undermined by better observation, whether it be on the actual social structure of wolves or the revelation that monogamous birds of both sexes will "cheat" on their mates. When I was in grad school, they still told us in animal behavior classes that the male strategy in monogamous was to be unfaithful, while the best female strategy was to find the best mate and have all her offspring sired by him. I asked at the time, "Who were the males being unfaithful with, though, if all the females are faithful to their mates?" I got a blank stare.

One thing I've seen less discussion of in anthropological circles has been of evidence of men who filled social or economic roles one normally associates with women, such as gathering or child care. I don't know enough about anthropology and funeral customs in different cultures and times to say whether or not women who gathered and performed crafts we normally associate with women, such as clothes making, decorative work, making of implements and tools related to cooking and food fathering, were buried in graves that contained their professional implements or not. But if so, have they ever unearthed men who appear to have been gatherers, or basket weavers or bead makers or whatever women typically were thought to have done in hunter-gatherer societies.