Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
It's that time, again, for our quarterly fund-drive.

I know that in these very tricky times of ongoing pandemic, a lot of us are struggling just to keep our own heads above water, and I completely understand that -- but if you can chip in for AW's ongoing expenses, that would be terrific.

Our BIG goal is to upgrade the forum software and migrate to Xenforo, shortly after the first of the year. AW Admin has done a great deal of research into this potential move, and it would solve a BUNCH of problems we experience with VBulletin, as well as hardening our DDOS protections, as well as being much more nimble and responsive.

Stay safe, everyone, be well, and if you've already chipped in or signed up for ongoing monthly support, thank you SO much. We wouldn't still be here, without you.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm bumping this thread.

Moving the server, and more importantly, moving and importing the database is going to require paid help.

I'm able to do a lot via my iPhone, but that's not something I want to even think about doing.

We're also going to have to pay substantially more for hosting; we'll be starting a new contract rather than having an established contract.

We're already paying more in terms of security and scanning software.

We have over 69 thousand members.

On a given day we average over 5000 unique members logging in, never mind the ones who aren't logged in but are on the site.

Less than 5% of our active members have ever subscribed, at any level.

A cup of barista coffee is around $3.00. A cup of brewed coffee at a chain is around $1.00.

What is AW worth to you?

We understand not everyone can help with cash, and that's fine. We really do understand.

But there are a lot of ways you can help.

What does Community Mean to YOU?

AW is Free to Members

But that’s because someone else is paying.

Like any online community, AW has costs. We have server and hosting costs, bandwidth costs, software licensing costs (the forum software as well as tools for making sure we’re malware free, for instance).

AW is a community of writers. We support each other. Why not support the community too?

• The DDOS attacks on the server, and continuing attacks now, have been expensive. We've had to pay for additional software with increased monthly costs.
  • Right now, Mac and I pick up the pills that ads and subscriptions don't cover. That's not going to be possible indefinitely.
  • We stopped running Google ads, and we really do appreciate our wonderful members who have voluntary subscriptions.
    [*]Subscriptions don’t come close to paying the monthly server costs.
  • Less than 5% of the people who have logged in during the last year are Kind Benefactors; that means that some time after they joined they subscribed at any level; it might have been $1.00. Members who subscribe at any point at any amount, retain their benefits.
  • We’re facing the same problems faced by other large communities, some of which have simply had to pack up and close down.
  • We run our own “local” ads as much as we can, but we turn down advertisers who don’t have ethical privacy policies or which otherwise strike us as not appropriate for our members.

In other words, advertising alone isn’t enough.

How Can You Help?

• Continue being an active member. Being an active, engaged member of the community is the most important kind of support. That includes people who rarely post but engage a lot via PMs, Crits, and Rep comments
  • Use our affiliate links (see below) or Subscribe to AW via PayPal or sending a check.

Voluntary Subscriptions to Absolute Write

There’s an FAQ: AW Voluntary Subscriptions.

Subscribing, at any amount, gives you a permanently larger PM box and the ability to use a larger Avatar.

You also get the warm and fuzzy feeling of helping a community of writers.
You can use the Benefactor Member User title.
You don't need to have a PayPal account.
You can use a debit or credit card.
You can subscribe for another member (PM AW Admin or MacAllister with the member’s Username).
You can use the large blue AW Subscription button on the bottom of any forum page.
You can use this special link: paypal.me/AbsoluteWrite
You can even mail a check made out to Absolute Write (be sure to include your Username if want to have the Benefactor Member benefits):

Absolute Write
8911 Vernon Road
PMB 165
Lake Stevens WA 98258

Absolute Write Affiliate Links

• When you purchase something from an affiliate, Absolute Write receives a small percentage (generally between 2% and 10%) of the purchase price.
  • We don’t know who bought it, or what individual shoppers bought.
  • It doesn’ affect your price.
  • If you’re buying something anyway, why not use an affiliate link?

Here are some of our affiliates.

Book Stores

Amazon.com

Amazon wants you to know that “As an Amazon Associate [AW earns] from qualifying purchases.”

Anything you buy after clicking this link to Amazon.com will send a percentage of the purchase price to AW. It won’t affect what you pay.

We won’t know that you bought anything, by the way. We’ll know someone bought a particular item, but not who.

Here’s a link for Amazon UK.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Just noting that I realize COVID-19 is affecting people.

You don't want to know what not having bookstores open is doing to my income; it's bad.

So I do understand.

But my most recent information from Mac, who is the only who deals with the PayPal stuff, is that we haven't even reached a 100 dollars, never mind 100 members.

Heck we haven't even had 50 members subscribe *this year*

A cup of coffee a month? Is AW worth that you ?

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay. I am doing all right financially; COVID has not impacted my income. And AW has greatly impacted my life, both as a writer and as a place to interact with like-minded intelligent people. I need this site to not only survive but to thrive.

I have given an amount I can afford. I challenge you--yes, you, and don't think I don't see you looking at this thread but not giving even a small amount!--to do the same. When you donate to AW, please add "I gave" to this thread.

Maryn, not freakin' kidding

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
AW has changed my writing life, and so much more.

I set up a monthly payment direct from PayPal a couple years ago.

runoffscribe

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Cheap and easy. Doesn't make a lot of noise. Doesn't bite. Takes footprints, but leaves none.

I gave, and I write riddles from end to beginning

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I never remember, can you give me a link for the non-Paypal option, not a monthly subscription? One of these years I'll remember to bookmark the link, sorry

Found it, and done! Thank you :)

Last edited:

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I gave.

AW is pretty much my support system and a mayor part of my social interaction since the pandemic, so yeah, has got to be worth something.

Besides, the lockdown closed up all the coffeeshops until next year and I don't drink coffee anyway. (But I do pine for those awesome pancakes from that little place near the mall... *sigh*)

Also finally, blame Cobra. No AW, no SFF Soltice Story Swap and that's a thing that has been giving for years. That alone should get me to fork over.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I appear from time to time, and I gave, too. Lump sum. Don't use paypal.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't sure who to PM my question to but maybe others have the same question. I mailed a check a few weeks back and it hasn't cleared the bank. Not a problem if you just haven't taken it to the bank yet. But I just want to be sure it wasn't lost in the mail or something.

Thanks

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't sure who to PM my question to but maybe others have the same question. I mailed a check a few weeks back and it hasn't cleared the bank. Not a problem if you just haven't taken it to the bank yet. But I just want to be sure it wasn't lost in the mail or something.

Thanks

MaeZe you need to contact MacAllister. Mac's the only one who has access to the mailbox and to PayPal.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I gave. :Hug2:(I usually do the Amazon link, too, when I'm buying things from the UK site - so easy to do.)

Bah! I keep forgetting about the Amazon link!

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca

You can subscribe for another member (PM AW Admin or MacAllister with the member’s Username).
I think I'll subscribe for another member this year. There's a certain someone who could use a bigger mailbox, heh.

Do we take out the subscription first, and then PM you, or do we PM you first? Thanks!

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
I gave.

Can't afford much this year, but hope it helps a bit.

(^_^)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all; it's appreciated.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'll subscribe for another member this year. There's a certain someone who could use a bigger mailbox, heh.

Do we take out the subscription first, and then PM you, or do we PM you first? Thanks!

I'd PM MacAllister first, then subscribe. There's a field towards the end of the process where you can add a message or memo. I'd use that to, to say this is a gift who it's for, and whether or not you want to be anonymous.

Remember that Mac will see an email address, not a username.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Done. AW helped me so much when I was struggling and poor and trying to get in the publishing door. Now with 11 books out there, and doing as well as I can, how could I not help out? Subscribed.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
First and foremost, let me thank all of you from the bottom of my heart. You've been utter champions, and I can't even begin to tell you how much the community support means to me.

We're on track for all the software upgrades and improvements we need, and look to be improving the forum software significantly, as a result -- we'll keep you posted!

Last edited:

Gatteau

Registered
Reaction score
Oh PayPal, you make everything so easy. ;) If I can find the spare change to give to my favorite goofy podcast of no consequence, I can certainly shell out some to this awesome community as well. Done!