Nanoing November - 500 words per day writing/editing all genres welcome

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Because November is NANO.

How'd October go for you? Good, bad, or ugly?

What are your goals for this month? Are you Nanoing?

Go, team!

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
So I didn't do any writing, but that's okay.

I am Nanoing with the short story and Oubliette if I finish the short story early. I'm already up to 3k, which is awesome. Story's about half done? Roughly? Maybe. Depends on a few things.

I have 3 editing jobs on my plate, luckily with no real deadlines but I still want to finish them in a timely manner. So I've been plugging away at that. Still working on Esperanto. That's been fun. Also working on getting my sci-fi romance novelette published in between all this craziness. :) (It's not new - it's actually from an antho I was in in 2016. Still, it's pretty exciting).

Last edited:

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Thanks for starting the thread, Saoirse. Feels like we can breathe again, doesn't it?

I have been in a rut recently, so I'm hoping to do nothing more this month than climb out of that rut. Best of luck to everyone, whether doing Nano or after other goals!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
After somehow managing to hit my daily word count goal throughout this roller coaster week, I got a bit stuck yesterday. I'm still on target for the end of the month, but I'm struggling with this story. I sort of know half of it, and I've got a handful of characters I'm getting to know.

But I'm really struggling tonally. My three space operas are pretty traditional in narrative voice: third-person limited (ish), past tense, with multiple POVs. My most recent finished book is first person (mostly) present, with two POVs, each with a distinct voice. I've been writing this one more like the space operas, and I'm not finding the mood I want.

Really, I think I'm colossally burned out. NaNo is usually a chance for me to throw off expectations and write for fun, but I've got this shadow of "you need another finished MS, Liz" hanging over me, and I'm feeling like motivationally I'm missing something. I'm feeling like the only reason I still write is because I told people I would.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I don't like this book.

Mainly I think I haven't connected with any of the characters. I'm sketching them in to fit the plot, and that isn't working so well. I'm 17K in, but I think it's all scrap-and-redo.

I keep thinking I'm hanging on for the wrong reasons and I should just quit.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Hang in there, liz. I'm sure you can find a way to make it work - and if not, to make something else that does work.

I had my first relatively good day in a little while. Hard to say what concrete progress I made, but it felt better, and that's satisfying enough.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Not much writing going on for me. I'm having minor surgery tomorrow so I've been busy preparing everything for work (three newsletters for clients and a few other miscellaneous things) so that's been on the back burner. I'll pick it back up once I feel human again. I've got almost 5k for the month versus 0 since August so even if that's it, I've still done great. The only issue is that this is my antho story and it's due January 15th and it's only half done. In draft. So I do need to get back on it ASAP.

I also had an occipital nerve block to hopefully get rid of the migraine/whatever it is, and that took me out for a day as well. I'm feeling much better though, and the pain's been mostly gone, so we may have hit upon something finally! Yay! Stay tuned.

Hope you all are doing well. Happy Thanksgiving.

Last edited:

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Hope the surgery goes well, Saoirse. It's good that nerve block is working, too - I can't imagine trying to work in constant pain.

While I have barely any writing to report here, I had a really relaxing weekend after a week of feeling really stressed and anxious (for no real reason, either), and honestly, that's good enough right now.

Hope everyone else is doing okay :)

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, OSG. The surgery went well, except that I've had an allergic reaction to something and I have hives on the entire side where they did the surgery from the waist up and it's been miserable. :( That's the fun of being allergic to everything, lol. The occipital nerve block is continuing to work, so that's good. I'm glad you were able to have a relaxing weekend - that's so important right now!

I did write a bit. 1,051 words in two days. Slowly chipping away at the story. I won't be done by Dec 1st as I wanted to be, but I should be close if I get some writing done today and tomorrow. I already know that I need to cut some of what I wrote yesterday but that's for revision. I'd like to hit 6k for Nano at least. I'm at 5,893 words right now.

How's everyone else? In the home stretch for Nano?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
<waves at everyone>

I've been a poor team member! For which I'll blame NaNo this time. I hit 50K on the 25th, and have been letting my brain relax since then. Today I made some story notes.

I absolutely hated this book until I wrote the ending and an epilogue. Now I think I may actually finish it.

Sorry about the allergies, Saoirse! I hope that passes quickly.