• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

But just What is this book?

SalomonTauber

Registered
Reaction score
Nine years ago, a man tried to murder me and very nearly succeeded. I was in ITU for days and critical care for more and convalescence (physical) took a couple of years, during which time I was diagnosed with PTSD. A trauma has happened, then we process it (or not) and then we arrive at a place. Except in this case, that isn't true. He tried to murder me because he was my ex-wife's new husband, a career criminal and because she convinced him to do it. He got 27 years for attempted murder, she got nothing. She abused and brainwashed our children for eight years before the murder incident and had been abusing me for the entire twenty-five years I have known her. She plumped for trying to murder me because I had won custody of our children and she had lost. It was her last roll of the dice (although she's made a few more since and continues to emotionally abuse the children only they are so blinded they can't see it.)

Anyway, along the way, I realised that I (because of my childhood) kind of allowed myself to be in that situation, and didn't place myself as having value in society that would make me proud/stubborn enough to walk away from abuse knowing I deserved better. And in that twenty-five years, I have had to battle staggering incompetence/negligence and apathy from police, social services, courts, councils, governments and the institutional gender bias of the world at large that seems to think that blokes who are abused must deserve it or at least that blokes are fine at just working these things out for themselves are require no TLC/Support. I've also realised the world is a very broken place and the current methodology of defining success by wealth, fame and popularity are absurd and fetid and won't ever come to any good.

So here is my writer's block. I've been told I have a fascinating story that needs telling. I think that too. I'm just not sure what the hell it is. I could write one of those "self-journey" books (A Child called IT/The Boy David series - that sort of thing) but they tend to be written by someone who has achieved deliverance to a better, happier or more peaceful place; and I very clearly haven't. I could write a manifesto for what's wrong with the world and suggest a New World Order, but that kind of sounds arrogant and anyway, I'm not sure the world wants to listen to that sort of book right now. Or I could write a book about mentally coping with decades of abuse and how gardening and watching the wildlife sometimes makes it fairly bearable, and how that doesn't really equate to depression because it's actually just a motor reaction to years of hell and pills won't fix it. But I have no recognised qualification in mental health and so would be immediately denounced by that profession as a dangerous charlatan.

Has anyone got any bright ideas for how (in this sort of situation) you make head nor tail of what it is you're supposed to be writing please? Someone once said, "just write, write anything and it will start to become clear as you go," so I did. Except it didn't. I've just ended up with 60,000 words which is a mish-mash of all the above and with no apparent way to end the bloody thing!

I know I need to do this. I'm just completely stymied as to how I figure it out.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
The 60,000 words are important.

I have two suggestions. They might not be helpful, as there are many roads up the mountain.

First, pull out a big piece of paper to visualize all of this first part.

Identify your protagonist, and their two starting wants/needs. What does your protagonist want or need at the start of the story? Most simplistically, this can be something external (e.g. financial independence, a house, a wife) and something internal (e.g. self esteem, to reach one's potential, love).

Now, align the events of your story (which exist in your 60,000 words) in such a way that your protagonist is working toward their external goal. The perfect family, say--or whatever you decide the goal is. Events might include getting a job, buying a house, and so on. As your protagonist is approaching that first goal, his view of what his life will be, the 'picture' of it, strain is starting on his second (internal) goal. Self esteem is eroding, or the marriage is growing loveless, or something like this.

Your protagonist reaches a point where the external and internal goals are diametrically opposed--he cannot have both. He can either have the house and family, or he can have his self esteem. He must choose.

^^That's not a very sophisticated explanation, but it is a useful thing to noodle around with because it'll help you see a journey (the story) and the conflict. In other words, an event (the murder attempt) is a news item, not a story. It is a major plot point within a story, but it is not the story. Finding the story can mean finding the journey, and the journey is the protagonist working toward a goal and reaching a point of conflict where he must choose. The murder attempt will slot into this journey, and cause both external and internal challenges to your protagonist.

Hopefully that makes some sense. There are other ways to envision story. If this one doesn't float your boat, ignore it.

Second. Read. And read with an eye to structure. I'd suggest The Glass Castle. It's a very readable memoir. Pair up the events you are working with alongside the events in that book (abuse, assault, etc) to see how the author worked her traumatic life into a bestseller. (The internal 'need' in that story, for the protagonist, was Independence. She needed to live her life independently from her family. At first she thought she needed love, but abuse, etc etc. Her external goal was money, in order to escape the family. Etc.)

Good luck. Storytelling can be satisfying, but it's not necessarily intuitive to do it well. The advice to write is good. That's the clay you can mold into a shape.

I believe your story is memoir.

Last edited:

SalomonTauber

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Woollybear. That's very useful and I'm grateful. I've tried item 2 but as I say, I'm not sure I've identified exactly what the journey is yet. And so I've tried option 1 too but will again because it just seems more a more logical 'means to an end.' When I say I'm not sure of the journey, I'm unconvinced I want what you correctly identify as mainly memoir to take on a 'self-help' style and partly that's because I'm still very damn angry at the world and not sure the folk in it deserve my 'pearls of wisdom' (such as they are) because they continually do numtyish things like electing Donald Trump and ignoring Covid advice. In short, I seem to spend my life drowning in idiots and I'm just not sure how to find more like-minded people to mingle with, which would quite possibly be the environment that allowed me to then identify what my journey should be (or in which direction to be precise.) Tocontinue the journey analogy, once I found that clearing, I think I would probably have the clarity of thought to pick a useful direction, but I just seem to be fire-fighting constantly right now. If any of that makes any sense.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
When you tell a story, you're giving it structure, but you're also explaining it to someone else. My parents were abusive in various ways, and when I was younger I knew it was wrong, but I couldn't articulate why, or how. When people asked why I didn't have a relationship with my parents and I tried to explain it, it came off as a kid whining that they got grounded. But as I got older, processed my trauma more, got to a better place mentally, and read and wrote more, I became able to communicate this better. I can give specific examples of things that happened, how they made me feel at the time, and how they still deeply affect me now. I can state why those things are wrong, why they're unhealthy, because I got an understanding of it and myself over many years. There's plenty of really bad writing rotting on my hard drive that I had to go through to get to this point.

druid12000

You're out of your tree...
Registered
Reaction score
The dark side of the moon, making sinister plans..
So, our journeys are different in the details but quite similar in where we arrived. Alcohol and addiction brought me to my knees and very nearly killed me. While in rehab I had several fellow patients as well as counselors, support staff, case workers tell me that I should write a book about my journey in addiction and recovery. The immediate problem I saw with that plan was if you throw a rock in any direction you will hit someone who has written a self help book about recovery. A term used often in recovery is 'terminal uniqueness'. In other words, thinking I'm particularly special because of what I've been through and letting that keep me wallowing in my own self pity (which I practiced for many years and got Very good at, so good it damn near killed me). One thing that has helped is there is a very good recovery community where I live. We help support each other and we can relate to each other's 'uniqueness' in ways that no one else can. You mentioned not being sure where to find like minded people. I bet there are support groups that, even during Covid, are at least holding online meetings. Connect with them. I was astounded by how similar my experiences were to other folks and it's given me a whole new perspective. I have done some writing on the subject, more to make sense of the mish-mash in my head than anything I would consider for publication. I would suggest keep writing it down, poke the bears in that vast forest of a mind, and connect. If you need someone to talk with, hit me up.

SalomonTauber

Registered
Reaction score
I thank you all for the replies, and have thought about all that's written which is all useful stuff in the scheme of things. However my original (probably poorly articulated) query and the point of my 'block' is that I think the story I have to tell is memoir, but also exposé of corruption/ineptitude in the public sector, but also a call to arms for a worldwide epiphany that we can't eat money and judging personal success by wealth, power, fame is a fools way. And there must be a better way.

Perhaps I have three separate stories to tell. Perhaps it's a trilogy. Perhaps there is a way of telling all that in one book; because they are all interwoven and related. That's the bit I can't get my head around. As Druid12000 says, there are millions of self-help books about recovery. I'm fairly sure I DON'T want to be filed next to 'Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus.'

And then I have a bunch of gremlins in my head about style/how much humour to interject (nobody wants 300 pages of durge) and that sort of thing.

Last edited:

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Questions about theme and style are kinda hard to figure out at a very high-level discussion like this. You need to wade into the swamp that is writing and figure it out. I struggled with my current WIP for y e a r s, I kept trying to solve it by rebooting it over and over, adding more POV characters, shifting the timeline of events. But one day I thought "what if I combined these two worlds into one greater world?" which lead to "what if [main character] from [world B] was the one who's writing this story about [main character] from [world A]?" That framed the story in a different way, it made me think about it very differently than before, and I wrote something that I'm very happy with. But I had to write that and experiment to figure it out.

Theme is definitely one of those things that comes out when you're writing. It might shift and change as the story happens. You might find the things you originally thought would support your thesis aren't as strong anymore. Who knows! But you'll figure it out as you go along, that's just kinda how it goes.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
snip

Perhaps I have three separate stories to tell. Perhaps it's a trilogy. Perhaps there is a way of telling all that in one book; because they are all interwoven and related. That's the bit I can't get my head around. As Druid12000 says, there are millions of self-help books about recovery. I'm fairly sure I DON'T want to be filed next to 'Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus.'
I think you do have at least a couple of stories to tell. One is a general memoir. "This happened to me, and this is how I survived." It's not going to be the cure-all for everyone; no memoir/self-help book can be, because everyone's trauma journey is different. But you can tell your story, and it may well help others on their journey. I think "male abuse survivor" is likely an underserved genre if I can call it that. As you say, there are far too many people out there who don't believe men can be abused, and any education on that topic is a good thing.

I think the other story is the one where you go into detail about everything you did and tried and heard and didn't hear from the cops and various agencies who were supposed to help you. It's likely (in my mind) that if you really get deep into the weeds of what happened when you were trying to get help, the book will end up being a doorstop and no one will want to put that much time and effort into it.

And then I have a bunch of gremlins in my head about style/how much humour to interject (nobody wants 300 pages of durge) and that sort of thing.

This is all about your voice. If you feel like you need to be sarcastic or dark, be sarcastic or dark. A good editor will help you tweak that part.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thank you all for the replies, and have thought about all that's written which is all useful stuff in the scheme of things. However my original (probably poorly articulated) query and the point of my 'block' is that I think the story I have to tell is memoir, but also exposé of corruption/ineptitude in the public sector, but also a call to arms for a worldwide epiphany that we can't eat money and judging personal success by wealth, power, fame is a fools way. And there must be a better way.

It sounds like a book. :) You should write it.

I'm not being smart, but I think you'll better assess what it is, when it's done. There's a lot of memoir that ends up as fiction, or Upmarket Fiction or Bookclub Fiction - but until you write it, you won't know.

Try talking it out, when no-one's around. Do you say more as you, or as a fictional character? (For myself, it's always a fictional character.) Play with it - but be honest. That's all you need do.

ETA: Also - humour is good :)