Seeking Book recommendations

Ariel.Williams

Registered
Reaction score
I’m doing research for a new novel idea and I’m seeking some recommendations. I want books about characters with powers or magical abilities who team up to take down big bads. If anyone has any ideas they would be much appreciated!

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Hmm... Mistborn (Brandon Sanderson) has some elements of this: a team with different skills and powers gets together to topple the corrupted immortal ruler of the land.

Brandon Sanderson's Alcatraz vs the Evil Librarians has a humorous (yet still solid) take on this idea; the "powers" include breaking things, falling down, and being late (all of which actually get utilized in clever ways in the plot.)

There are traces of this in Nicholas Eames's Kings of the Wyld, though it's a bit more of the "getting the band back together" vibe - a band of once-famous adventurers in a fantasy land, called back by their washed-up ex-leader when his daughter is in danger.

You might look more at hero/superhero books, though.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Edit with references:

That structure is a heist or a caper trope; in fantasy can be called the dream team or Avengers Assemble trope. It's something I'm working in my current WIP with as well.

There are markers to these tropes, depending on how closely you want to follow screenwriting approaches. Movies like Ocean's Eleven and Inception use the structure of a team. For the solution to work, you need all the pieces to fall right. The links above further link out to additional discussions on this way of managing a story.

Last edited:

Ariel.Williams

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Brightdreamer, I just added the first two Alcatraz vs The Evil Librarians novels to my library holds; it actually sounds like a lot of fun! I also added the other to my ongoing list of books. And thanks Woollybear, those TV tropes links should be a lot of help for when I’m getting ready to start writing!