Covid 19: Coronavirus November 2020

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Please remember that saying No may save your life.

You're more important than your job.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That sucks heza. :Hug2:

Diana, the incubation period can be short from 2-14 days. Puts you in a bind.

Sounds like tomorrow will be my last day then. I have to work tomorrow to get paid for the holiday. After that, I'm going to try and get back on unemployment. I made a good faith effort to work when the situation was relatively safe. I came back in May, but now, it is not remotely safe. I wait on a 100 people a day. I have documentation of people not wearing their masks. Heck, the police wrote our store up for mask violations, so it is in the public record too. I like my chances of getting unemployment. If not I'll figure something else out. With my asthma and COPD, shit is getting too crazy dangerous for my tastes. It will probably end my Advance Auto career, but so be it.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry you have to give up the employment, Diana, but your own health and safety must come first. Close exposure to 100 folk a day is kind of scary as you say.

Good luck with the Unemployment application.

Stay safe.:Hug2:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Just when you thought Thanksgiving family reunions were poised to become the next COVID-19 infection epicenters, this news comes along.

https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/1331840656696877057

Just before midnight on the night before Thanksgiving, the Supreme Court blocked New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo from enforcing attendance limits at religious services. The vote is 5-4, with Roberts and the three liberals dissenting.

So the first amendment's freedom to religion and assembly trumps common sense. All thanks to new SCOTUS Justice Coney-Barrett who flipped RBG's stance the other way. Yeah, that same Justice who could not recite all the freedoms in the first amendment during her Senate hearing. Oh the irony.

-cb

Last edited:

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just when you thought Thanksgiving family reunions were poised to become the next COVID-19 infection epicenters, this news comes along.

https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/1331840656696877057

So the first amendment's freedom to religion and assembly trumps common sense. All thanks to new SCOTUS Justice Coney-Barrett who flipped RBG's stance the other way. Yeah, that same Justice who could not recite all the freedoms in the first amendment during her Senate hearing. Oh the irony.

-cb

Nice. We were rocking a 3.99 here in Albany already. Add this to Thanksgiving. Yeah, I'm out.

ETA:

It's going to be tough now to psych myself up for going in that final day tomorrow, but if I work my 7 hours I get paid 15 for the holiday. I'm thinking. Doing math and such. This sucks way too much.

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
The reward for 'good behaviour' is to set up a four-day free for all (because we already know that people suddenly unrestrained are, well, unrestrained. And have all the sense of a 'nipped-up cat. Sit back and watch the death rate rise.

Our numbers are slowly on the rise again. Not as exponentially as other provinces, but still.

So no, this is not happening. The opposition parties went up in arms when this was announced. Last week those opposition parties went up in arms for lack of clarity. Today those same opposition parties went up in arms - yet again - this time for having made false promises.

This pandemic is turning into a roller-coaster ride.

-cb

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Our numbers are slowly on the rise again. Not as exponentially as other provinces, but still.

MA was under 200 cases a day in early July. It's been creeping up ever since, and we did nothing to stop it except continue to ease restrictions. A few weeks ago we backed off a little, but we were already 2K cases/day. Now we're at 3K/day.

The good news is a lower percentage of people are dying. The bad news is we're apparently governed by people who can't do math.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Re going on unemployment, Diana, maybe you know this stuff: If it is like WA State, there are a bunch of questions for the regular section. One has to answer you are able to work (ignore the fact there are caveats). and when asked if you are looking for work one can say no. Normally you would have to be looking for work.

But they added a new section when you are getting the Federal stimulus unemployment. In that one you only need to answer that COVID is stopping you from working. On my form it says something to the effect COVID is making it so you can't do your regular job. As long as you mark yes on that one, or any of the questions for that matter if they apply, you qualify.

Of course all these benefits are due to end in a month if McConnell gets his way. :(

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
MA was under 200 cases a day in early July. It's been creeping up ever since, and we did nothing to stop it except continue to ease restrictions. A few weeks ago we backed off a little, but we were already 2K cases/day. Now we're at 3K/day.

The good news is a lower percentage of people are dying. The bad news is we're apparently governed by people who can't do math.

Oh, I think many of them can, but they're looking at other graphs than just case numbers and death statistics.

We're governed by people who are elected by popular vote and who rely on contributions from businesses and wealthy donors. So they're likely tied in knots trying to decide which moves will be least unpopular and bring the smallest amount of financial strain to their states. And the Federal government has been most inconsistent with its support to states and their efforts to curb spread within their borders. They're getting different pressures from various quarters and are trying to work out some kind of compromise that keeps most people who are likely to vote, if not happy, at least less-than-furious at them.

It doesn't help that the people (and not even the experts) are not speaking with unified voices here, and even within constituencies that agree the virus is a threat to be taken seriously, there's a lot of saying they want one thing but acting (and voting, perhaps) in conflict with that. Heck, people do that during the best of times too.

Not justifying the wishy washy approach we're getting from leadership, even in firmly "blue" states, but it's probably difficult to try and balance all the competing pressures. And they always have an eye on approval ratings and how they respond to various measures they propose and pass.

A pandemic seems to be a catastrophe tailor made to expose the weaknesses of democratic capitalism and of highly individualistic societies in general.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
If I understand correctly, states can't operate at a deficit. If the economy stalls for too long, the only solution is bankruptcy. Which would place the states under the jurisdiction of largely conservative courts, which would almost certainly dictate the reopening of businesses anyway.

I understand the desire to keep the economic engine going. We've been patronizing all the local businesses we can (around here, everyone has been very careful, but even so there have been signs of slippage over the last several weeks, and I dread the post-holiday numbers). All the options are bad.

The damage that's been done is down to the Federal government, in particular the GOP Senate. The US has enough money. If we'd paid people to stay home for six weeks back in April, I'd be sitting here today making pointless small talk with my in-laws instead of Zooming the stepkids. If we did it now, we'd save thousands of lives before 2021.

This is a Republican fuck-up, and I won't forget it.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, the people infected while traveling on Wednesday can be contagious tomorrow? Yep. I'm out. I cannot go back to work tomorrow. The fear has officially set in. The die is cast.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Called out yesterday, and today I sent my official notice that I'm resuming my leave of absence as a high risk for Covid 19, as the conditions in Albany have quickly deteriorated. Over the last week we had been hanging over 3% infection rate, today it's listed as 5.61%, and that doesn't count all the new Thanksgiving infected who are just starting to get contagious. Did my laundry and grocery shopping this morning first thing. I won't leave the house at all for two weeks (for laundry and shopping again). I suspect my boss will be shitty and fight my unemployment. If so, I have documentation of all our store's lapses in mask use, and disinfecting surfaces, as well as employees leaving the state, being sick, going to parties and gatherings, and clocking in after lying on the clock-in Covid questionnaire. Also, our policy of requiring us to wait on the maskless, makes it impossible to be safe even if the other safeguards were used. I think I'll be okay. I'll figure something out.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Called out yesterday, and today I sent my official notice that I'm resuming my leave of absence as a high risk for Covid 19, as the conditions in Albany have quickly deteriorated. Over the last week we had been hanging over 3% infection rate, today it's listed as 5.61%, and that doesn't count all the new Thanksgiving infected who are just starting to get contagious. Did my laundry and grocery shopping this morning first thing. I won't leave the house at all for two weeks (for laundry and shopping again). I suspect my boss will be shitty and fight my unemployment. If so, I have documentation of all our store's lapses in mask use, and disinfecting surfaces, as well as employees leaving the state, being sick, going to parties and gatherings, and clocking in after lying on the clock-in Covid questionnaire. Also, our policy of requiring us to wait on the maskless, makes it impossible to be safe even if the other safeguards were used. I think I'll be okay. I'll figure something out.

Hasn't New York State passed a mask ordinance for essential businesses yet? I don't suppose a call to the local health inspectors might bear fruit if there are lots of mask-free folks coming in.

Though here in CA, for all the signs stores have displaying the law and their store policies, enforcing them is another matter. Especially given the penchant the deliberately maskless have for shouting, even spitting, in the face of hapless employees. And if the local cops aren't enforcing (our local Sheriff has said he will not have his officers enforcing the various Covid rules in the county, or even "educating" people by telling them what the rules are without citing them)...

Even so, mask compliance is basically 100% at the grocery stores where I shop now, except for the occasional "nose cheater" (how can anyone still not know this is not safe) and those parents who don't seem to realize the law applies to kids over 3 as well. Can't believe the folks who bring their kids into the store with beverages or food treats they (the kids) are consuming with their masks down on their chins. How to increase the risk? I know, have one's kid eating or drinking while in a crowded store with their mask down. What a grand idea!

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hasn't New York State passed a mask ordinance for essential businesses yet? I don't suppose a call to the local health inspectors might bear fruit if there are lots of mask-free folks coming in.

Though here in CA, for all the signs stores have displaying the law and their store policies, enforcing them is another matter. Especially given the penchant the deliberately maskless have for shouting, even spitting, in the face of hapless employees. And if the local cops aren't enforcing (our local Sheriff has said he will not have his officers enforcing the various Covid rules in the county, or even "educating" people by telling them what the rules are without citing them)...

Even so, mask compliance is basically 100% at the grocery stores where I shop now, except for the occasional "nose cheater" (how can anyone still not know this is not safe) and those parents who don't seem to realize the law applies to kids over 3 as well. Can't believe the folks who bring their kids into the store with beverages or food treats they (the kids) are consuming with their masks down on their chins. How to increase the risk? I know, have one's kid eating or drinking while in a crowded store with their mask down. What a grand idea!

Yes, NY has a statewide mask mandate. That said people don't necessarily pay attention to it. Advance's policy is that team members are to offer maskless customers masks, and if they aren't accepted, try to hurry them out of the store. Our store has already received a written warning from the police about employees not wearing masks. Our GM wears a mask about 30% of the time, setting the tone for the store.

I handed in my keys this morning. Got a text from my DM reminding me that HR said that they don't have to take me back. Oh well.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Diana Hignutt, The O'Reilly's here in Seattle are very diligent and consistent about safety and masking. If there is one near you I'd check it out (because every store is different) and apply there.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Alpha -- wait, what? She wants you to quarantine for two weeks so you can eat a meal with her? Two weeks of quarantine is a BIG ask. Heck, I came down with a cold at the start of the week (yes, got covid tested, it's just a cold) but had to self isolate until I'm symptom free for 24 hours (tomorrow, dog willing!), and that four days has been pretty miz. Two weeks, even if you can plan for it and lay in sufficient Kleenex (toilet paper leaves your nose like sandpaper), wine (I ran out yesterday, SAD!), cat food (I ran out two days ago, DISASTER!!!!!), etc, is no fun at all. And you're supposed to live apart from your husband, your child is supposed to live apart from their father, for two weeks, just so you can eat a meal with her? OMG I have no words. That is the most selfish request I've seen in forever. Tell her that SHE can quarantine herself for two weeks, going no where and seeing no one, and then you'll let her stop by for a cup of tea. Bloody hell.

Yeah...I mean I think she was kinda sorta joking...but not really. I understand that she loves to get the family together and seeing all the grandkids in one place, but that can wait this year. It really should wait. She rented a movie theater for the kids this year for their Christmas gift - supposedly they have the theater to themselves to watch Elf. Which would be AWEOME under normal circumstances. We're going to try to convince her to cancel and reschedule once things are better. The problem is, once her mind is set, it's set, and she won't listen to anyone, no matter how reasonable.

I just got the word that my family has lost our first member to Covid. We'd already made the decision to not gather for Thanksgiving, and it's going to be especially difficult now to be thankful tomorrow, all of us alone and thinking of the one that's gone. I would appreciate any comforting thoughts, vibes, and/or prayers you can spare tonight.

I'm so sorry to hear this heza. <3

So, the people infected while traveling on Wednesday can be contagious tomorrow? Yep. I'm out. I cannot go back to work tomorrow. The fear has officially set in. The die is cast.

Ugh, Diana I hate that you're having to make a decision like this.

This timeline just sucks.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, I just had to certify the week and answer a few questions rather than reapply for unemployment. Should be a slam dunk. I'm going to hang low while the worst of this Dark Winter passes. I've actually got another, safer job lined up (much less public facing). I interviewed for the manager job, but they hired someone else, the DM there liked me a lot and wants me to run the counter of their new location of HVAC and appliance parts just outside of Albany. They are waiting to get in some backordered parts from China before they open (and hire me). I've been checking in monthly, and it looks to be a couple of months away, and the DM assures me that he hasn't forgotten me. Anyway, my drama should be over for a bit. Thanks for your concern and support. Stay safe!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Have you sold HVAC and appliance parts as part of your current job? If not, you might ask your prospective new employer if they have and 'study materials'. What are the big sellers, any brochures, how much stock?
So you can have a running start. And, look eager.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Moderna vaccine has been submitted for approval in the US. That's the mRNA vaccine which doesn't need to be frozen. I have applied to give it to the EMS folks I work for. It's still a couple weeks away and the refrigerator I normally use for my meds and vaccines might be a sticking point. Hopefully not.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This photo and story had me crying my eyes out.

Photo shows doctor embracing a 'vulnerable,' 'lonely' COVID-19 patient on Thanksgiving Scroll down, the image is midway.

From a related article:
"In a heartbreaking photo, a doctor in full personal protective equipment hugs an elderly patient suffering from the novel coronavirus, serving as a reminder of the human toll and impact of the virus during the holiday season," the caption read. "The photo, taken on Thanksgiving, marked Dr. Joseph Varon’s 252nd straight day of working in the hospital."

Sometimes you don't realize how stressed you are until something like a photo makes you start bawling your eyes out.

More from Dr Varon: Twitter
Today is Dr. Joseph Varon’s 251st straight day of working at United Memorial Medical Center in Houston.

He expects an influx of patients after Thanksgiving. “If we don't do things right, America is going to see the darkest days in modern American medical history,” he says.

Last edited: