Help Blocking a Scene: Character Being Followed

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I am currently writing a scene in my WIP and needing a little help freeing up my imagination.

The scene involves a character being followed (he knows he's being followed) and was wondering if anyone knew of any really good examples that could help me. Preferably from novels, but examples from TV or film are good as well. I want the scene to have a lot of tension, building suspense and downright creepy (I love gothic fiction).

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
<em>Where</em> is he being followed? Dark alley, modern offices, the docks, hotel, apartment building? Shopping mall? Classic old spooky house? It could make a difference - crowds vs empty and echoing, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmhbob

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
The scene/chapter is set in an area of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, it has a mix of the city's historical quarter by its medieval town walls and what it known as China Town. It's quieter compared to more central shopping and clubbing areas, but its also a maze of ancient gateways/towers, grimy alleys and conservation areas like Blackfriars'. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackfriars,_Newcastle#/media/File:Blackfriars2.JPG

Grace5810

Banned
Reaction score
What special insight does your character have in the area he is in? For example, does he know the streets like the back of his hand or is he new to the area. Establishing the amount of confidence the character has in himself and then have that completely destroyed is a good way to build tension. Like the turns down an ally way he knows leads to the main street but then he is surprised to learn that it is a dead-end. I mean this could lead to fear and fear is something you can build on.
Another thing you can use is masks! You had mentioned that it takes place near a china town? From my understanding, there are always festivals and shows that take place in those areas. So depending on the plot you can add some misdirect by having the pursuers blend into the crowd and give your character some paranoia.

Reactions: cmhbob