Zooming for old people

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So suppose I'd arranged to zoom with someone and then it turned out I have no idea what that means. What would my next step be and would it make me look stupid?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
One of you hosts the zoom. You both likely need to download the app. Whoever is hosting sets it up through the app and sends the link to the other. Click the link, and if you both have downloaded the app, you have ~40 minutes to gab.

More time if you buy a plan.

ETA: If you both have google accounts (e.g. gmail) you can use google hangouts more easily, it's part of the google suite. Hangouts is basically the same kind of interface as zoom. Go to gmail and click on the dots in the top right that get you to photos and calendar and all that. Hangouts is in that grouping. You'll need to play with it, but it should be fairly intuitive.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh thank you. I wish we could just write nice letters like in the old days.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
See this

https://www.takecontrolbooks.com/zoom-essentials/

It's a free downloadable ebook/.pdf by one of the best tech writers I know.

Zoom is a video chat system. You will need a camera on your computer or mobile phone and a microphone, built in is fine.

You will need to download the free app for whatever device you use.

And yes, Google Hangouts are easier.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. I had forgotten that I had a bandaid on my computer camera, so that was useful.

(I don't know why I have a bandaid on my computer camera. There's reasons, but I don't know what they are.)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh here's a Thing. Bandaids don't come off computers very easily.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
You reminded me to place my bandaid back over the camera, due to zooming earlier, so thank you.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh here's a Thing. Bandaids don't come off computers very easily.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay. And my computer has a microphone, you say?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, we all assume this.

- - - Updated - - -

An older desktop requires a plug in, perchance.

My bandaid is masking tape and masking tape on the other side too only smaller.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And I would find that microphone by -

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
What is your device? Laptop of what sort? Desktop of what sort?

My macbook pro has a microphone in the side (on the left, next to other female connectors) and I do not need to think about it.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
And I would find that microphone by -

What device? Who made it?

Basically any computer made since 2010 has a built in camera and a microphone (it's a small hole, typically next to the port for the headphones or speaker).

If you have a camera (look for a small (smaller than an aspirin) lens on the top center of the display, above the actual screen— you have a microphone.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I DUNNIT! I ZOOMED! Thank you both so much. I didn't look like an idiot at all, because guess what my computer asked me if wanted to turn on the microphone and I said yes and it did it, just like that.

I probably need to find where it is, so I can turn it off again, but seriously I think I've done enough tech today, and I didn't break the internet! :)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. I had forgotten that I had a bandaid on my computer camera, so that was useful.

(I don't know why I have a bandaid on my computer camera. There's reasons, but I don't know what they are.)

It's possible for someone to hack your camera and turn it on to spy on you. Not common, despite threatening spam emails saying someone has watched you while you were "enjoying" certain sites, and unless you pay $$$ they will post them to your Facebook or Twitter, which they have also hacked. For that reason, people have been covering their cameras. Newer laptops have a sliding shield you can move over it.

But it would be odd if you had a camera and no microphone. I also think one-on-one Zoom calls are free even if over 40 minutes; it's the group calls they charge for. My wife and I dated for two years and spent the first three years of marriage long distance over Skype. We knew each other in person beforehand of course and saw each other regularly, but it's a nice option to have.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's possible for someone to hack your camera and turn it on to spy on you. Not common, despite threatening spam emails saying someone has watched you while you were "enjoying" certain sites, and unless you pay $$$ they will post them to your Facebook or Twitter, which they have also hacked. For that reason, people have been covering their cameras.
Well I'm not sure, but I think they'd be very disappointed. Me watching gardening videos is probably not what they're hoping to see...

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Zoom?????

It's taken me months to finally master What'sApp after my avatar grandson persuaded me to replace my ancient Nokia with a more up to date phone. For a remarkable £7 a month I now have a decent mobile and constant contact with all the grandchildren, who send me pictures/messages/movies at any time. Oh- and my avatar is also now building his own computer!!!!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well I'm not sure, but I think they'd be very disappointed. Me watching gardening videos is probably not what they're hoping to see...

They could be wanting to see which website can give them accurate information on how to keep their lettuce from bolting. You never know with these people.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh- and my avatar is also now building his own computer!!!!
Do you know, I still remember that avatar from when it was a baby with the most incredible eyes I have ever seen on a baby. I think I remember repping you for the photo...