• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Editing Services] Mythcreants, LLC

TrapperViper

Registered
Reaction score
Morning all,

Just wanted to share an experience I recently had with Mythcreants. As some of you know, I’ve been working on a MS that is loosely based off of my experiences as an Infantry officer in Afghanistan circa 2008-2009. I’ve had wonderful experiences with betas, as well as other members of our community here who’ve provided feedback on things I’ve posted in SYW.

For those of you who don’t know, Mythcreants is a podcast and blog with a wide range of material regarding story telling. Chris and Oren are two of the owners. Oren also does paid developmental/content editing, and Chris provides wordcraft analysis for a lesser fee. They also do light to heavy copy editing.

I’d been listening to their podcast for a while and a few weeks ago submitted 75k words of my MS for a developmental edit and wordcraft analysis.

My experience was exceptional. Oren, as my primary point of contact, gave me the kind of customer service I’d wish all my employees at my company provided to our clients. He was timely in his responsiveness to emails before and during his receipt of the MS.
After he finished reading it, he sent me a long list of questions regarding the story in order to customize his recommendations. We went back and forth via email, then he sent me an outline on the types of recommendations he wanted to provide. Again, we went back and forth and agreed to the general structure of the analysis. It was a customized approach, specific to me and what I wanted to accomplish through his services.

I recently received his recommendations. A 3,000 word doc that addressed plot, setting, and characters. It was great, and clear that he thoroughly read thru the MS. He addressed the things that worked well and provided advice on how to improve things that didn’t.

It seems like the primary genre Oren and Chris work in is spec fiction. I was a little concerned about this, because my antiwar genre has some characteristics about it that differ greatly from spec fic. My concerns were unfounded. Oren is familiar with plenty of works in my genre and referenced them throughout his recommendations.

Chris’s wordcraft analysis was a joy to receive as well. She highlighted the strengths and weaknesses and gave me plenty of areas to improve, with specific suggestions on how to improve them.

I have no business relationship with Chris, Oren or their company. They are aware I’m giving them a shout out, but there’s no special deal or discount because of it. I’m just sharing my experience with you all incase anyone is considering hiring a development editor.

As for price, it’s available on their website. They have a tool that allows you to plug in the wordcount and receive a quote back. FWIW, I think I paid about $800 for both the developmental edit and wordcraft analysis. That might’ve been when they weren’t so busy though.

Website is below. If anyone has specific questions I’d be happy to address them.

Happy Friday!

https://mythcreants.com/blog/category/podcast/

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Moving this to Bewares and Recommendations.