US election 2020 - WEEK 1...2...3

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
People who broke into the Capitol building and have been identified but not yet arrested, are finding themselves on the US terrorist no-fly list.

https://twitter.com/RayRedacted/status/1348388601118273537?s=09

Scrolling down there's another shared clip of three airport security holding a man on the ground threatening to "spray" him if he doesn't stop struggling. The man is saying, "you treat me like a [beep] black person..." It's not the same as the guy on the No-fly list.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I’d actually wondered why Melania *rump’s chief of staff was among recent resignations. I mean, she’s not exactly in the front of the line to catch legal retributions for the Capitol building attack. Maybe this explains it? Was the last straw? Haven’t yet seen it reported in a major news outlet, though.

https://www.politicalflare.com/2021...ots-she-refused-and-continued-her-photoshoot/

Political Flare said:

On Friday, CNN reported that amidst all the violence and danger, Melania hosted a photoshoot of the furniture and rugs she has had restored in the White House for a coffeetable book she is writing.

But now we find out that White House staff begged Melania to intercede and force Trump to go on TV and get the terrorists to stop. Melania is one of the very few people left in this country that has any pull at all with Trump. She refused to even speak to Trump about it and moved on wiping a vase. According to the Daily Mail:

The heart of US government was under siege, our very democracy on the line, but Mrs Trump was calmly arranging porcelain figurines for the photographer,’ the source continued, saying even the most loyal remaining Trump staffers were left ‘dumbfounded’ by her actions.

Indeed, the First Lady’s closest adviser, her chief of staff Stephanie Grisham, tendered her resignation later that day.

Melania was even asked to intercede, to force her husband to publicly decry the insurgency, but she refused. ‘She said nothing. She remained silent and carried on arranging a vase for the shoot. She checked out of this presidency and her marriage a long time ago.’

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
Mayor Bowser should send CPS to check on Barron.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I feel sorry for that kid. What chance does he have at growing up into a sane, normal, decent adult when he lives in such a toxic environment with no role model who is remotely normal?

On a different note, related to this thread in a different way, what happens if Trump and company don't pack up their stuff and leave before the 20th and have to be shown the door. I assume they do have some personal things in the residential part of the White House. I am guessing departing first families don't just hire a U Haul, or even a high end mover, and there's some government service that helps them to pack up their crap and transport it wherever they are moving.

But there has been no official statement about where the Trumps are moving once they vacate the premises.

I cherish the image of all of Melania's clothing and their other personal effects piled up outside the perimeter fence around the White House, but I am guessing it would be done more discreetly?

I ran across this article.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2021/01/14/white-house-staff-packs-for-move-behind-trumps-back/

Last edited:

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
I'll admit my first thought was "well, at least if he's there they won't try to nuke the place."

This. It's like Game of Thrones - at least if Cersei's there, the wildfire isn't.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
He also said he'd be among the capitol invaders. I wouldn't discard him riling his suckers into a mob and then dumping them again.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
This. It's like Game of Thrones - at least if Cersei's there, the wildfire isn't.

Keep thinking about the "red wedding" in the Game of Thrones show and the books. The insurrection and murders were enabled by insiders, not an outside assault. I think it would be suicide to try something during the inauguration, but what if someone is fanatical enough to be suicidal?

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I recall my previous opinion. You guy are not in danger of a civil war, you ARE right now in a civil war. Please take care.

I don’t really think the first one ever ended.

We’re as divided a nation now as we ever were, but now with the added “bonus” of alternate realities promoted by alternate media. Conservatives and liberals can’t even agree on what facts are, let alone how to cope with real problems.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
This was far more planned than anyone thought.

I recall my previous opinion. You guy are not in danger of a civil war, you ARE right now in a civil war. Please take care.

They've taken it back since.

https://www.npr.org/sections/insurr...-to-capture-and-assassinate-elected-officials

Not sure what they make of the folks with the Zip ties and the guy who said he wanted to put a bullet in Pelosi's head or hang Pence. Seems like some individuals were planning to kill or take hostages, at least.

I suppose what they mean is they now think there was no group of people collectively or coherently planning these things. Random crazy individuals can still be dangerous, though.

This is chilling, though.

A number of off-duty police officers were involved in the insurrection attempt.

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/15/9568...federal-charges-for-involvement-in-capitol-ri

And this too. Scores of current and former military are probed in extremism cases.

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/15/9575...and-former-military-probed-in-extremism-cases

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As recently as last summer I said these groups were too disorganized to pull off anything this big. I still believe this was true at that time, but they are organizing quickly, and will continue to do so.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I guess it's easy to underestimate Trump cultists as they are too gullible, too ineffective, too stupid, because yes, they are. But they still can follow indications, communicate quickly, and cause violence. They are as capable as any other civilian, which in modern times, with all the tools we have at our disposal and the proliferation of weapons, means quite capable of causing damage, much worse when they realize that the Capitol attack, deadly as it was, was still not enough.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I see Trump insurrectionists are calling on the orange wonder to pardon them. He might. Then again, a word in his ear, putting the blame for his present troubles all on their shoulders -- he never takes responsibility for anything -- and I can see him being equally inclined to let them stew in their own legal troubles.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see Trump insurrectionists are calling on the orange wonder to pardon them. He might. Then again, a word in his ear, putting the blame for his present troubles all on their shoulders -- he never takes responsibility for anything -- and I can see him being equally inclined to let them stew in their own legal troubles.

The Constitution limits presidential pardon power by the phrase, "Except in cases of impeachment." That is unclear if it means he can't pardon people who have been impeached, or he can't pardon those in involved in crimes he was impeached for.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I've been of the mind that while most of Trump's base don't have the emotional or mental health to pull off what we saw last week, they have been getting witting or unwitting help, in many different forms, from smart, tactical minds who want to see the US fail. I've never underestimated what could happen, because I never thought it was the MAGA base on their own.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, my local (outside Boston) racial justice activism group added his business to our "Do Not Shop" registry.