How to find who agented specific book

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
Best bet is to check the acknowledgments page. Not every author thanks their agent, but some will. Actually more common, IME, in NF because you typically expect a longer acknowledgments page where the author will thank librarians and others who helped with the research. Most will mention their agent, too.

If that fails, try checking an author's website, especially the contact or events pages. A lot of event booking for authors go through agents, so you can sometimes find out that way.

Twitter bios, too, though I find that tends to be newer authors.

If all else fails, you can just Google and see what comes up. The phrase "[TITLE] sold by at" might net you some results from Publisher's Lunch and such that will mention the agent involved.

Reactions: Mevrouw Bee

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
There isn't anything official that I know of. Your best bet might be Publisher's Marketplace, but that's opt-in on the part of agencies (or so I was told) and they don't all participate.

VBB has it right - your best bet is the acknowledgements page, or the author's web site. I've occasionally seen agents listed in Wikipedia entries as well.

Reactions: Mevrouw Bee

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
You can try Googling

"author's name" and "literary agent"

use the quote marks and retain the and.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You may not find one. I haven't ever written a non-fiction piece that was agented, just direct queries to publishers.

Jeff

paqart

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paqphoto.com
Thanks for the replies! I decided to join Publisher's Marketplace. It works pretty well. There are a few authors without agent information but I was able to find most of the ones I was looking for. I had tried another site, querytracker.net, but it didn't have the authors I was looking for.