New author

jn3766

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

My name is Jeff Nickels from Syracuse, NY. I joined this site because I am looking for beta readers to review my first draft or a novel I just finished. If anyone could steer me in the right direction to find beta readers I would appreciate it. This is my first time writing a novel and would love people to read and critique it. Thank you.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya, Jeff. I lived in Rochester until recently, so we were practically neighbors. Welcome to you!

You'll do yourself a favor to take the time to look around the site and see all it has to offer beyond what you came here to get. There's an enormous amount of how-to on writing and publishing. Pretty soon this board's moderator will share a welcome post with a whole lot of links. It's worth taking the time to click and read every one in between exploring.

In all likelihood, you'll find there's no better way to learn what's wrong with your own writing than to critique in any genre you read (including the one you write but not limited to just that). Once you've got fifty meaningful posts, you can post your first scene for critique and/or seek a beta reader. I strongly advise you to get critique first. Whatever weaknesses it reveals are probably present in the whole novel and should be shored up before a beta read. Be warned: many people who think they're ready for serious critique and feedback are not, and some feel wounded or become hostile when every goof and weakness is pointed out. You don't want that to be you, which is why we advise you to read critiques done by others and to do some yourself.

It's smart to post in your genre's board and in the novels board, as well as some of the other-interests boards. The more people feel like they know you, the more likely they are to volunteer for a beta read.

Maryn, old hand at this, and happy to see new arrivals

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

TylerJK

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Jeff welcome! What genre is your novel? I am also working on a novel that is almost ready for the beta reading stage. Perhaps we can exchange at some point. Best of luck!

jn3766

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Jeff welcome! What genre is your novel? I am also working on a novel that is almost ready for the beta reading stage. Perhaps we can exchange at some point. Best of luck!

Hi,

It's I guess a mystery/ thriller novel. I entered the book pipeline contest for October but wasn't a finalist. I just did it to see what people thought but I guess they don't offer advice. I guess it takes 50 or more responses before I can get a beta reader. That is really why I joined. I am having trouble finding people to review my work for input. Do you have other people you use? Thanks.

TylerJK

Registered
Reaction score
Nice! My WIP is also a mystery/ adventure story. I don’t really. I joined here to get perspective from other writers as well. However, when I get people to read I often just go to people in my life who fit my target demographic. Of course, it’s difficult for them to be objective.