What genre is my MG short story collection?

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I'm writing a MG linked short story collection. It's about four pets and their adventures. Some of the adventures are basic (yet still action-filled) like a library cat returning a lost bookmark to a human. Other are more complex. For example, an evil lizard who is making a serum to turn himself a dinosaur and the pets have to stop him.

The main bad guy in the collection is the lizard who wants to be a dinosaur, but he's only in half of the stories. The other half of the stories are the more basic, "everyday" tales. The lizard is focused on science, but in the sequel to this collection I was thinking, maybe, to have a magician's pet be the main villain who focuses on magic.

I know the most pros say "Figure out the genre after you write it" but this is driving me crazy!

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
The one about the dinosaur is seems to be leaning towards science fiction, but I don't think the whole collection is. They sound similar enough to all belong in the same collection though, so there probably is a name for that sort of story.

Just one possible thing (feel free to ignore it if you want) - birds are descended from dinosaurs (technically speaking, they are dinosaurs*) and therefore more closely related to lizards. Apparently the closest living relative of the T. rex is the chicken. I would love, love, love so much to read a story about a chicken who makes a serum to turn him/herself into a T. rex. Or tries to. The story would still work with the lizard (there's no rule saying he has to turn into something he's descended from) but I just wanted to suggest it, in case it works better for you. Obviously ignore my suggestion if it doesn't.

*usually referred to as avian dinosaurs to avoid confusion with the extinct ones (non-avian dinosaurs)

Last edited:

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
The one about the dinosaur is seems to be leaning towards science fiction, but I don't think the whole collection is. They sound similar enough to all belong in the same collection though, so there probably is a name for that sort of story.

Just one possible thing (feel free to ignore it if you want) - birds are descended from dinosaurs (technically speaking, they are dinosaurs*) and therefore more closely related to lizards. Apparently the closest living relative of the T. rex is the chicken. I would love, love, love so much to read a story about a chicken who makes a serum to turn him/herself into a T. rex. Or tries to. The story would still work with the lizard (there's no rule saying he has to turn into something he's descended from) but I just wanted to suggest it, in case it works better for you. Obviously ignore my suggestion if it doesn't.

*usually referred to as avian dinosaurs to avoid confusion with the extinct ones (non-avian dinosaurs)

Actually, the evil lizard has followers who are chickens. He also has snake followers. Maybe the lizard doesn't do his research right and only the chicken followers turn into T-rexes while he and the snakes stay who unchanged. Yeah! Then when the evil lizard sees how much damage and chaos the chickens/t-rexes are causing he realizes he needs the MCs help. Meanwhile the snake followers are really mad with him and try to hinder his and the MCs progress in saving the town. Thanks, neandermagnon!

I've read short story collections with tales of multiple genres in them. I believe they're just considered "short story collections."

Is this still true with linked short story collections? I feel since it is linked I have to have a genre to tie it up. If not I'll follow your advice and call it a just "short story collection"

Gatteau

Registered
Reaction score
I have my own struggles with genre, but I think talking animals would generally land themselves in Fantasy. Perhaps absurdist fantasy?

I see the evil lizard watching his dino-chickens running around waving their tiny little arms and eventually coming to the conclusion that it wouldn’t be so great to be one, himself, anyway. Then in the end, after everything is put right, he decides that what he would really like to be is an 800 pound gorilla. ‘Cause, you know, hands... On to the next diabolical plan!

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I have my own struggles with genre, but I think talking animals would generally land themselves in Fantasy. Perhaps absurdist fantasy?

I see the evil lizard watching his dino-chickens running around waving their tiny little arms and eventually coming to the conclusion that it wouldn’t be so great to be one, himself, anyway. Then in the end, after everything is put right, he decides that what he would really like to be is an 800 pound gorilla. ‘Cause, you know, hands... On to the next diabolical plan!

I considered fantasy, but the animals don't talk to people. Only other animals which I think would exclude it from fantasy.

Also, I can totally see your scenario happening. :roll:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Is this still true with linked short story collections? I feel since it is linked I have to have a genre to tie it up. If not I'll follow your advice and call it a just "short story collection"
You've already got the 'Barney' stories out there, so I would think most readers of those stories will be in the mood for the scheming Lizard stories. The 'pet' stories add a note of 'reality', talking or not. (If you have enough stories, I'd be tempted to break them into two books, one, scheming Lizard stories; the other, more realistic pet stories.

Gatteau

Registered
Reaction score
I considered fantasy, but the animals don't talk to people. Only other animals which I think would exclude it from fantasy.

Hm, not necessarily. I think the simple fact that they do talk - and go on adventures, and scheme to become dinosaurs - is a fairly fantastical notion.

Though I'd certainly believe it was true, thinking back to some pets I've known...

Last edited:

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
@ Frimble3 - Well "Barney and Mr. Thomas" has stories featuring the main bad guy and some not featuring the main bad guy. All of the stories are action-packed, though. I told my sister about how half the stories in this one (the one featuring pets) feature the main bad guy and some don't and she compared it to how "Barney and Mr. Thomas" does the same.

Anyways, I feel bad because it sounds like I'm arguing with people. Sorry if it sounds like I'm butting heads. I just want to get this right.

Gatteau

Registered
Reaction score
No, don't feel bad, totally get it! Suggestions are suggestions, you're the one who ultimately has to make the choice. I just hope seeing some other ways of thinking it through helps!

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
No, don't feel bad, totally get it! Suggestions are suggestions, you're the one who ultimately has to make the choice. I just hope seeing some other ways of thinking it through helps!

You're right. I shouldn't feel bad, because maybe my book doesn't fall neatly into a genre like I'm used to.