• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Narrating an Auction

JohnLine

Owns a pen.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a scene in my book that's been giving me trouble. It's an auction scene where there's an auctioneer doing his auction voice, which I want to include for flavor. But I don't really want the reader to have to decode what's being said, so I do something like this:

“At seventy, seventy-five. seventy-five.”: Apparently, the inspector had bowed out.

which breaks down into:

"What the auctioneer said."
: What that means for the auction.

But I'm afraid the reader won't be able to figure this out without an explanation. Can you think of a way to make this clear?

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe post the whole scene in share your work and if it's not clear what's going on, people will soon tell you. Then you can add any necessary clarification.

Regarding your sentence in isolation, it's not totally clear, but I'd assume that you'd already set the scene and we'd know who the inspector is and why he bowed out. There's nothing wrong with the sentence otherwise.

JohnLine

Owns a pen.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I should probably share it. The whole auction bit is only 144 words in 14 sentences.

Animad345

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with neandermagnon that you may want another set of eyes on the excerpt itself, as it's hard to offer advice based on a few sentences.

I love a good auction scene - when written well, they can be incredibly exciting.