Still using Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddy Knight

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone still (or ever) using Word to write your screenplays? I know it's not a 'screenwriting software' per se, but it has done the job for me for 18 years as a screenwriter. I just like the control I have of what word ends up where, making whitespace, etc. I have yet to find a software that lets me be me - that and I am autisitic, so learning new tricks is really difficult. Word is simple and effective.

And, most importantly, I have yet to see a shred of proof that any of the softwares improve writing quality (ggod storytelling, originality). As a reader for many years, it has not gotten better with the advent of softwares. Maybe the opposite. I even draw my own storyboards on word - it's gotten harder now that Microsoft changed it, but still doable.

Anyone use Word? I know it ain't cool, but it's like that ol' Model T that goes and goes.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I write the occasional play, rather than screenplays, but in my experience, if it works, it works. Sure, dedicated software might save me a few keystrokes, but it's easy to just write, then when I have everything the way I want it, take literally five to ten minutes to format a full-length stage play perfectly. Or do some indenting and centering as I reread parts, or wait for the tea kettle to whistle, or for my brain to rekindle that great idea from last night.

I used to frequent a screenwriting board (now gone) where the newcomers were all about making their scripts look polished and professional rather than being polished and professional. They bought screenwriting software, the right brads, card stock for covers, but never learned a thing about structure or what can and can't go in an action line.

Maryn, pleased to meet you

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Whatever works for you is right!

I happily used Word for screenwriting years ago, there was a Word template offered by BBC Writersroom, which isn't there any more (the template that is) that was quite handy, it defined text styles to give correct indents and capitals. I think I customized/added key combinations like Alt-S for Scene Heading, Alt-C for Character Name, Alt-D for Dialogue, etc. which made things easier.

I'm pretty sure I could go back to that if I had to. But, I won a copy of Movie Magic Screenwriter as a consolation prize in a contest in the distant past and I've used that ever since. It's not that different from Word, it just intelligently moves the cursor and changes to the right style instead of my pressing key combinations. I learned it in seconds.

Enjoy your writing!

-Derek

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like you were well consoled, then!

Maryn, itching to open the wine

Status
Not open for further replies.