Pope moves the line toward including LGBTQ into mainstream Catholicism

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OK so it's not full marriage but he's embraced same sex unions and families.

USA Today: Pope Francis endorses same-sex civil unions: They 'have the right to be in a family'
Pope Francis became the first pontiff to endorse same-sex civil unions in comments for a documentary that premiered Wednesday, sparking cheers from gay Catholics and demands for clarification from conservatives, given the Vatican’s official teaching on the issue.

The papal thumbs-up came midway through the feature-length documentary “Francesco,” which premiered at the Rome Film Festival. The film, which features fresh interviews with the pope, delves into issues Francis cares about most, including the environment, poverty, migration, racial and income inequality, and the people most affected by discrimination.

“Homosexual people have the right to be in a family. They are children of God,” Francis said in one of his sit-down interviews for the film. “You can’t kick someone out of a family, nor make their life miserable for this. What we have to have is a civil union law; that way they are legally covered.”

Baby steps.

And so much better than the anti-gay gay ex-Pontiff Ratzinger.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I saw that earlier today. It's quite a change, though same sex civil unions are a pretty dead issue in Western democracies anyway, since they've gone for full marriage equality. Maybe it will be move the needle towards greater equality, at least, in south American countries and in other strongly Catholic countries (like Poland) which are still more theocratic in their approach to social change.

I wonder if this church will ever decide that married women have the right to be sexual beings without risking becoming mothers?

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
It's one of the principles of evolution - whatever doesn't advance/adapt dies. The pope is nothing if not a realist, society is changing so the church must as well if it's to remain relevant. Too bad some political parties don't understand this.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect this is more about dwindling church attendance than any spiritual or theological 'awakening'.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Meh. Separate is never equal. Pass.

I agree. It's a bit like being told you're now allowed on the bus, but you still have to sit in the back.

It's interesting, though, that a church that takes such a dim view of non-procreative sex (even between married heterosexual couples) would be budging on this at all. I think it's down to a realization that they are increasingly losing younger generations in particular, at least in Europe, the US, Canada etc., and they want to toss a bone to a group of people some very Catholic countries (like Ireland) have decided should be treated equally.

Last edited:

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I don't trust him any further than I can throw his little red shoes.
Wasn't that Ratzinger?

I want to like Francis, but he keeps waffling between being decent and going back medieval that it gets tiring. Even this is just an opinion, tucked away in an interview. He has yet to take any actual steps into making it happen, it feels. He's been at it for a while now so baby steps just doesn't do it for me anymore.