Best Time To Release?

AstronautMikeDexter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaelprocopiowrites.wordpress.com
So, I'm pretty sure I'm going to self-publish next year and I'm thinking about the best time to do so. (And forgive me if this has been discussed recently and I missed it, or if it's in the wrong section.)

I've written an urban fantasy novel and research tells me that summer months are generally a good time to self-publish for the fantasy genre. I'm wondering, though, since my book takes place in the dead of winter and right around Christmas-time, if maybe summer isn't the best time to publish it? It's not a Christmas book by any stretch of the imagination but the winter setting is prominent.

Does anyone who self-publishes have any experience with when to release their book in a given year? Does it not matter? Is there really a better time of year to release certain genres? Or if it's a winter setting in a book, is it stupid to release it in summer?

It's likely I'm overthinking this, much like I overthink everything else!

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
This answer is tangential to your question.

I think factors beyond 'time of year' are more important than time of year. If I had it 'to do over again' I'd probably release with a rapid-release plan of several titles.

I released in November and saw a burst of sales. They fizzled down over six months and now I let the title largely sit quietly, mostly not selling now. But if I had a second title to release, say six months after the first one, there'd be more momentum for both titles.

One disadvantage to a christmas release is this: I did not pre-plan my book signings. I called the local B&N after releasing and they were booked out until March. I had a few signings at indie booksellers but never had a B&N signing and I think it would have been a good idea. So, if that appeals to you, get it on the books several months in advance. Oh, B&N will want your title available somewhere besides Amazon. (I went with Ingram Spark.)

Having said that, anything I would change about a November release has more to do with the pre-release stuff.... getting signings lined up along with the dozens of other things people recommend.

Last edited:

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
In my experience, summer is an off time. I'd go with a November release because the Christmas season is pretty good for sales, especially since your book is set in winter.

And in the meantime, write another one. : )

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
In my experience, summer is an off time. I'd go with a November release because the Christmas season is pretty good for sales, especially since your book is set in winter.

Yeah, in my genre (romance) the general consensus among indie authors is that summer isn't the best time to release, and my most disappointing release was an August book. I'd probably go for November, too. BUT it is possible my advice is totally wrong for urban fantasy.

Last edited: