Hi. It is I.

EndOfRico

Registered
Reaction score
Pleased to meet everyone.

I am a prospective (also known as "wannabe") writer hoping to find inspiration and advice from experienced writers with regards to both writing itself and all the practical issues associated with it.

I am, however, a bit intimidated by some of the other introductory posts, as quite a lot of new members appear to have published works even *before* coming here... Well, I wrote my only book draft back in middle school. and its quality was - unsurprisingly - what one could expect from a middle school pupil. I gave up on it after about 250 pages, and the world is now forever a better place.

Anyway, I will use the recommended questions for an introductory post:

• What genres do you write?

I do not (yet), but I want to write Science Fiction. I lean towards the harder and more serious kind which deals heavily with social and philosophical issues. It's not that I don't like soft science fiction or space operas - I just prefer watching it in the Cinema or on TV instead. I have begun putting together a disposition, but at this point I haven't even decided if I'm going for a novel, short stories or something else entirely.

• What do you like to read?

I'm currently going through a "must-read" list of classic Science Fiction works, hoping to find additional inspiration and to avoid overused concepts and story elements. This is my reading list so far (not finished):

Philip K. Dick, Robert a. Heinlein, Frank Herbert, Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, Arthur Stapledon, H.G. Wells and Olaf Stapledon... I haven't read all of these yet (and I will likely not read all of the respective authors' works).

My personal favorite is William Gibson and his work from the 1980s, though - both his Neuromancer trilogy and his short stories. I'm a big fan of both his themes and his fast-paced writing style, and this is probably the style I am leaning towards myself. I am also quite a nostalgic (as my username suggests), so I am considering if I should - as Gibson did - incorporate some aspects of the classical "hard-boiled detective fiction... but then I might end up being too much of a copy-cat, so I'll have to give this some more thought.

But I actually read a lot more non-fiction (about history, philosophy, religion, science etc.) than fiction. I'm actually hoping to reuse aspects of historical social institutions/conflicts etc. as inspiration for a Science Fiction story setting.

Recently I have also been reading up on books on how to write. Some are probably well known here: Strunk & White, Stephen King, Anne Lamott, Lisa Cron, John Truby, Steven Pinker, William Zinsser.

• How long have you been writing?

I actually write for a living. But not by writing stories. I write management information, legislation, formal decision papers etc., but these are very different writing skills which probably translate poorly into a fictional work. Bureaucrats like myself are not exactly known for having plain and concise language like Ernest Hemingway or Toni Morrison.

• Do you beta read?

I had to Google that term :)

No, but I'd like to try it. And I guess I'm fairly qualified as I have very little writing experience.

• Do you have any particular hobbies? Are you expert in any particular field or craft?

I read. A lot.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice to have you join us, EndOfRico. There was a time when I read nothing but science fiction, and you've certainly listed some fine authors. Welcome!

Maryn, gesturing toward the snack table

TylerJK

Registered
Reaction score
Hello there! I have read work from many of those authors and they are phenomenal! What to you constitutes hard/ vs soft science fiction? In my understanding, soft also deals with the issues you mention. I thought that hard refers to science fiction that was deeply explained. Ie. hard: a laser beam is used to destroy the earth, and each detail of how that works is explained. Vs soft: a laser beam destroys the earth, little explanation, but explores the repercussions. Possibly, with what you do for a living, you’d be excellent at writing the more technical stuff. Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

EndOfRico

Registered
Reaction score
What to you constitutes hard/ vs soft science fiction? In my understanding, soft also deals with the issues you mention. I thought that hard refers to science fiction that was deeply explained. Ie. hard: a laser beam is used to destroy the earth, and each detail of how that works is explained. Vs soft: a laser beam destroys the earth, little explanation, but explores the repercussions.
Well, I know there is a debate on what is hard and soft Science Fiction (and a debate on whether the distinction is even relevant when writing fiction), but for me it's largely how close a concept corresponds to known scientific principles.

But I am undecided as how to approach the concept myself; I have a very scientific mindset, but I don't want questions about scientific accuracy to detract from the primary goal of writing a good story.

I mostly want to have a story world which reasonably obeys known scientific principles, except for some specific exceptions. For instance, I am looking to include a non-rotational model for artificial gravity, which is nonetheless semi-plausible.

I'd be very interested to see how other aspiring/published Science Fiction writers handle such issues.

bleep

Registered
Reaction score
My personal favorite is William Gibson and his work from the 1980s, though - both his Neuromancer trilogy and his short stories. I'm a big fan of both his themes and his fast-paced writing style, and this is probably the style I am leaning towards myself. I am also quite a nostalgic (as my username suggests), so I am considering if I should - as Gibson did - incorporate some aspects of the classical "hard-boiled detective fiction... but then I might end up being too much of a copy-cat, so I'll have to give this some more thought.

Huge fan of Neuromancer. I say go for it; not too shabby as an inspiration source. Welcome to AW!