New Member, Aspiring Writer

Pendora

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

After five minutes of staring at the wall to think of something witty to write, I have now given up to just bulldoze through it. As you can see, my name is Pendora, but for some unknown reason my mother refuses to call me that. Professionally, I am a Business Analyst, but I aspire to become a full-time writer in the future. I have been writing since I was a four y.o. child, my first poem dedicated to an 'apple' and second to my old 'refrigerator', testimony to my love for food. There are many short stories, articles, and poems that I have written over the course of my life, and they can be found on my blog.(I wasn't sure about the policies for posting personal blog links here, so erring on the side of caution, I am choosing not to.)

As far as reading goes, I prefer SFF, Biographies, Fiction, Non-Fiction, History and Comics. I recently finished re-reading Mistborn trilogy by Sanderson and am currently reading India : A History by John Keay.

I have a lot of ideas about the books that I want to write, from fantasy fiction genre to magical realism and children's books. But the problem I am facing is organisation. My ideas are all jumbled, my outlines turn out to be very choppy to the point that they stop making any coherent sense, and when I do start writing, I go back and edit a lot. This is my first attempt at writing anything exceeding 20k words and at times, I'll be honest, I feel like quitting. I have started using Scrivener and things are looking slightly better, but I'd still appreciate any suggestions thrown my way of how you overcame these struggles, if you faced them.

I was daunted to write this post after reading multiple threads by new people here, as many have finished their first drafts, or have published books, while I have only some short stories and many unfinished projects under my belt. That said, I am still pretty excited to be here. :)

TylerJK

Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome! I would say two things. If your outline is choppy, that’s okay! Rough rough rough is fine for an outline. Even having something as simple as a beginning, middle and end can be helpful. Secondly, try and fight that urge to edit as you go. I think Hemingway said something along the lines of “every first draft is crap”. Try and just let the words flow more than anything, not worrying about whether they sound pretty. This way, it’s much easier to get the plot down. Then, in countless reworkings, you can make the words flow nicely. Best of luck!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's no minimum credential to being welcome here. Hell, even I made the cut! And so do you, for simply wanting to be a member. Welcome to you!

Maryn, drawing your attention to the snack cart

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.