Guerrilla Army - Day of Training Exercises

Spy_on_the_Inside

Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on a YA speculative novel where the main character joins up with guerilla army in her own fight against oppressive government. It's fairly loosely organized, there are no uniforms, and the most deadly weapons they have access to are guns and hand grenades. The ages of the soldiers range from late teens to early thirties.

I'm working on a chapter where the main character does a day of training exercises with the army. I'm wondering what she would do all day and what a day of training would look like. Any input?

Last edited:

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
A normal day of infantry training in the Army is going to be focused on one, maybe two max particular subjects, such as hand to hand combat, rifle marksmanship, combat maneuvering, radio procedures, the list goes on. Assuming the Army is offering some sort of accelerated one day training session for guerilla insurgents, it's probably going to be more lecture based with a take home checklist of things to practice. Maybe some basic weapons familiarization. It takes weeks to get local insurgents (think Central America and Afghanistan) up to any semblance of combat readiness.

On a day to day basis, your insurgents are probably not doing much training. If all they have are hand grenades and handguns, they don't want to waste ammo and grenades, so they are throwing a lot of fist sized rocks and doing dry fire exercises.

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
Oh also, I think you can assume that if your insurgents have access to grenades, then they have access to assault rifles, or at least hunting rifles. Pistols are pretty useless against governmental forces that have assault rifles and machine guns. A pistol is an officer's weapon that is used to keep captives and detained soldiers in line. If a pistol has to be used in an actual combat situation, you're pretty much done for. Get your kids some AKMs and RPGs. That's what the kids in Central America had.