AW is an Amazon Affiliate and an Amazon UK affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a
voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: A disturbing twinkie that has thus far defied scientific understanding

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by The Second Moon View Post
    Speaking of cats and butter...My mom was gifted a nice butter dish with a lid from her father. My family's cat, Frank, licked and pushed the heavy butter dish from the center of the table to the edge where it fell and broke. So yeah. No butter dish is going to last eight years in my house.
    Our cats are awful. They broke my butter bell!

We have to keep the butter in the cupboard, or they'll be at it. Sometimes they manage to get the door open anyway and still leave the telltale raspy tongue marks.

Quote Originally Posted by MaeZe View Post
    I leave my butter out in a covered dish.

Cheese gets moldy but you can just cut the mold off. I freeze cheese that I can't use in time (because I sometimes buy bulk cheese). As long as you let it thaw at room temperature it prevents crumbling.

Some people I stayed with who didn't have a fridge left eggs out. They last a couple weeks without going bad.
    That makes sense, actually. Folks generally didn't have refrigeration in the old days, unless they had access to an ice house or something. At best they had root cellars or terracotta crocks they kept in water to promote evaporative cooling, but that doesn't generally cool things down more than a few degrees (and the crocks don't work at all if it's humid).
    Last edited by Roxxsmom; Yesterday at 05:05 AM.
    Please excuse me, I was raised by wolves.

My twitter - My FB - My blog