Tom Nom Nom Curry

Beccorban

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm a newbie, but also a foodie, so I thought I would post the recipe for my (in)famous Tom Nom Nom Curry. This was developed whilst I was at university. It's always a crowd pleaser, although not something I get to really roll out any more since I have fallen in love with a vegan.

Ingredients
PROTEIN
4 x boneless chicken thigh fillets, diced (breast works too but thigh meat is so much better)
1 x tbsp. madras curry paste (or homemade, medium spiced curry paste)

VEGETABLES (feat. FRUIT)
1 x white onion, diced
[SUP]1/2[/SUP] x a lime
2 x large cloves of garlic, minced as per the Jacques Pépin method
1 x sweet potato, peeled and diced into 2cm cubes
Frozen peas (a handful)

FOR THE GRAVY/CURRY/SAUCE
1 x 400ml can of coconut milk
1 x 400ml can of chopped tomatoes
1 x tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 x tbsp. soy sauce

SPICES
1 x tbsp ground cumin
1x tbsp. medium curry powder
[SUP]1/2[/SUP] x tsp. ground coriander
1 x tsp. turmeric
1 x pinch of brown sugar
Salt and pepper to taste

N.B. I tend to season to taste so these measurements are a guideline only

MISC
Coconut oil (vegetable, sunflower, and olive oil are also fine)

METHOD

1. Get a saucepan to a medium heat and put 1 tsp of coconut oil in. Allow to melt. now add your curry paste until aromatic.
2. Throw in the onion stir into the paste. Squeeze half a lime on top and allow everything to sweat for 3-5 mins. Then add the minced garlic.
3. Add in the diced chicken and brown.
4. Add those spices (cumin, curry powder, coriander, turmeric only)!
5. Throw in your cubes of sweet potato and let everything get nice and aromatic.
6. Add the coconut milk. Give everything a stir and let it pick up that wonderful colour from all the spices.
7. When everything is a nice glossy yellow, add the chopped tomatoes and stir. It will look wrong, but trust me. Now add the balsamic vinegar, the pinch of sugar, and the soy sauce.
8. Cover with a lid and bring to the boil. Once boiled, take the lid off and bring it down to a simmer for 30-40 mins until the sweet potato is soft.
9. 2-3 minutes before serving, add the frozen peas and stir in.
10. Season with salt and pepper to taste, serve with rice and enjoy!