Budding author from Mumbai with his writing challenges!

shreyans

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All

My name is Shreyans Mehta and I am a budding author from Mumbai. I have been wanting to write a self-help book for 3 years now, and have started and stopped quite a few times. But finally, it seems to be taking shape. I just completed my first chapter and am taking a small writing target per day.

Hoping for inputs, suggestions and inspiration from the entire community here. Happy to be a part of this vibrant group!

Love and Warmth
Shreyans

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shreyans, anyone who manages to write a little every day is going to end their year with a lot, so if this is working for you, we're pleased on your behalf.

We're also pleased to welcome you here.

Maryn, pointing toward the snack table

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, Shreyans.

In the the past two years, I've edited two thick volumes of romantic comedy by Anitha Perinchery set in India: One Monsoon in Mumbai and Goan Holiday. I soaked up quite a bit of rich Indian geography and culture.

I wish you a great time here at AW.

shreyans

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the super warm welcome Daniel, Chase, Maryn and regdog!

@Chase - You could perhaps visit India sometime and see the beautiful culture firsthand.

@Maryn - I hope to maintain the consistency!

@regdog - Will go through the forums.

Looking forward to actively contribute to and learn from this vibrant community!

Last edited:

bleep

Registered
Reaction score
Hey shreyans, welcome! What is your self-help-book-in-progress about? Self-help in general probably has good potential for identifying and addressing an audience, which has always been the hard part for me.

- David (bleep)

shreyans

Registered
Reaction score
Hey David

Personally, it is my challenge too to exactly pin the target audience for my book. So, as of now, I am writing it with myself as the target audience of the book. I think I have taken the term "self-help" a bit too literally! :D

The overall theme of the book is how to lead a life of purpose. That's been the driving question through most of my life and I hope that some insights which I have gathered in my journey also add value to others.

How has your self-help writing journey been thus far?

Last edited:

TylerJK

Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome! Also curious as to what your book is about. Was there anything in particular that helped you decide what shape it should take? Best of luck on your writing journey

bleep

Registered
Reaction score
Hey David

Personally, it is my challenge too to exactly pin the target audience for my book. So, as of now, I am writing it with myself as the target audience of the book. I think I have taken the term "self-help" a bit too literally! :D

The overall theme of the book is how to lead a life of purpose. That's been the driving question through most of my life and I hope that some insights which I have gathered in my journey also add value to others.

How has your self-help writing journey been thus far?

Thanks! Got it. Sounds good, and interesting. Yes, having a clear target audience is key.

My writing journey has been interesting, cathartic, and a little demoralizing. ; ) I recently shared a 200k-word+ draft of an experimental memoir (it uses fiction and fantasy elements) with close friends, family, and one astute beta-reader, and I've decided to re-write the whole thing. Just about to begin doing that any second now.

shreyans

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Tyler

My book is about leading a life of purpose. I am largely inspired by meditation (I am a meditation teacher myself) and Indian spiritual Guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar. His ideas have profoundly shaped my reflections and helped me find meaning in life. I wish that my book also helps people find their meaning in the world.

I also meet a lot of students in search of fulfilling careers and lives. Interactions with them have also helped me shape my ideas.

How has your writing journey been thus far?

shreyans

Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome! Also curious as to what your book is about. Was there anything in particular that helped you decide what shape it should take? Best of luck on your writing journey

Hey Tyler

My book is about leading a life of purpose. I am largely inspired by meditation (I am a meditation teacher myself) and Indian spiritual Guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar. His ideas have profoundly shaped my reflections and helped me find meaning in life. I wish that my book also helps people find their meaning in the world.

I also meet a lot of students in search of fulfilling careers and lives. Interactions with them have also helped me shape my ideas.

How has your writing journey been thus far?

shreyans

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! Got it. Sounds good, and interesting. Yes, having a clear target audience is key.

My writing journey has been interesting, cathartic, and a little demoralizing. ; ) I recently shared a 200k-word+ draft of an experimental memoir (it uses fiction and fantasy elements) with close friends, family, and one astute beta-reader, and I've decided to re-write the whole thing. Just about to begin doing that any second now.

200k words - that's an amazing accomplishment. For me, reaching 20k words itself will be an achievement!

While I understand that we write our books for an audience and for publishing, the process of writing itself is often as important as the output. Wishing you a great journey with your second draft. All the very best!

shreyans

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Shreyans! Glad to hear your book is starting to take shape. That's a wonderful feeling! Wishing you much success with it.

Best wishes,
Fay

Thanks a lot Fay! Hoping I can sustain the discipline! :)

bleep

Registered
Reaction score
200k words - that's an amazing accomplishment. For me, reaching 20k words itself will be an achievement!

While I understand that we write our books for an audience and for publishing, the process of writing itself is often as important as the output. Wishing you a great journey with your second draft. All the very best!

Thanks a lot! You'll get there, and you've got the right attitude about the process. I've begun... planning, which feels important right now.