Hello!

Beccorban

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Glad to be here. Like most of the people on this forum, I want to be a professional storyteller.

I tend to write fantasy, sci-fi, or thriller/horror stuff, but I have ideas for a historical fiction series too. I have been writing for about ten years, seriously for seven, on and off. My biggest problem is discipline!

Favourite authors are David Gemmell, Bernard Cornwell, Stephen King, Wilbur Smith (before he got weird). I am currently reading Wolf Hall - only a few pages in but can already feel it's a work of great quality.

I am on here to share my work, to help others with theirs where I might, and most of all to learn. I am happy to beta read (since I shall be seeking beta readers of my own in the very near future!).

Hobbies include movies, football (soccer for my American friends), cooking, and DIY (or so my girlfriend tells me).

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to you, Beccorban. Pretty soon this board's moderator will come with a post that provides information and a bunch of links. I urge you to take your time and read them, since they tell you how everything here works, including the beta reading you want. In my experience, people who are active on the general interest boards as well as the ones for their genre, including critique for others, are more likely to get beta readers.

And we love having fresh input at the cooking board. I can't be the only person who's sick to death of the meals I make over and over. Even green enchiladas are getting old.

Maryn, glad you found us

Beccorban

Registered
Reaction score
I'll check out the cooking board. My girlfriend is a vegan so we have to get creative sometimes. Yes, this means I am a part-time vegan. It's out of my hands.

I am aware I need to have at least 50 posts before I can ask for beta readers, but as you say, it seems the best way to do that will be to dive into the boards.

Thanks for the advice and for your kind welcome :)

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

TylerJK

Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome! Ah, the journey to being a professional writer. I think anyone who has joined this group is making a good step in that direction, so much to learn!

I have a degree in history, and took several science fiction courses. Stephen King is also one of my favourite authors, The Stand is my personal favourite! That being said, I think i might be a good fit to be a beta reader for you at some point!

Best of luck.

Beccorban

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks TylerJK. I too have a history degree! What did you write your dissertation on, if you don't mind my asking?

The Stand is excellent but I don't think I will ever get over The Dark Tower series. I still think about it from time to time. Haunting stuff.

Thanks for the offer of being a beta reader. Once I hit the minimum posts, I'll come knocking!

TylerJK

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks TylerJK. I too have a history degree! What did you write your dissertation on, if you don't mind my asking?

The Stand is excellent but I don't think I will ever get over The Dark Tower series. I still think about it from time to time. Haunting stuff.

Thanks for the offer of being a beta reader. Once I hit the minimum posts, I'll come knocking!
No dissertation as it was only a four year honours degree. I would say the paper I’m most proud of was one that argued alcohol was intentionally used as a weapon of genocide in establishing the new world. What was your area of focus?

I’ve never actually read that series but it is certainly on the must read list!

Excellent, I look forward to it.

Beccorban

Registered
Reaction score
No dissertation as it was only a four year honours degree. I would say the paper I’m most proud of was one that argued alcohol was intentionally used as a weapon of genocide in establishing the new world. What was your area of focus?

I’ve never actually read that series but it is certainly on the must read list!

Excellent, I look forward to it.

Wow, that sounds amazing. Is it something to do with alcohol tolerance?

I focused on the Byzantines and my dissertation was about the development of their military strategy and tactics.

If you read one series in your life, make sure it's The Dark Tower. It's an investment (and took him almost 40 years to complete) but it's fantastic.

TylerJK

Registered
Reaction score
Well it was right before contact that they started to see the effects of hard liquor like gin in England, people would drink pints of it and just die in the streets, then they started introducing this stuff to the indigenous populations.

Yes, I will definitely have to read that series.

Beccorban

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, mother's ruin! That sounds fascinating. I'd love to read it - is it published at all?

TylerJK

Registered
Reaction score
No unfortunately not. Although someday, I would love to do a non-fiction book about the history of alcohol it is truly fascinating. Maybe not as fascinating as the Byzantine empire though lol.

Beccorban

Registered
Reaction score
I remember wanting to try mead because I had read about it in books for years, and obviously it's quite hard to source, since Vikings aren't really a thing any more. I had always imagined it to be this creamy, frothy, beer type drink. When I finally found some and tried it, it tasted like cough medicine. Yuck!

The Byzantine Empire had its moments. One of my favourites (if that's the right term) was the Schism in 1054, when the Orthodox and Catholic churches fell out in a big way. By pure chance, the Schism coincided with a supernova event (the remnants of which make up the Crab Nebula today) that lit up the night sky for two weeks. Contemporaries believed it was God manifesting his displeasure.

Otherwise, I recommend reading about Herakleios and Basil II, possibly the two greatest Byzantine Emperors, who both had incredible highs and incredible lows in their reigns. One day I will attempt a book on one or both.