• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking Beta Reader for 102,000 word Historical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning,

I am seeking a beta reader for my historical MS on the Triangle Factory women of 1911. The story is told from the POV of three different women who were involved in the strikes leading up to the fire, the fire itself, and then the aftermath which led to a series of reform laws being passed.

I'm looking for some big picture stuff, but I also struggle a little bit with grammar, so that would be helpful.

I've posted some scenes from this MS in the Historical Fiction SWY form if anyone is interested in taking a look.

If you do want to take a whack at it, just PM me. :)

Last edited:

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning,

I'm posting the query letter for this MS in the hopes of getting a bit more bites.

In 1909, Irish immigrant Siobhan Daughtery is eager begin a new life in America. She’ll finally be reunited with her older sister, Niamh, who will help her navigate through Manhattan’s crowded streets and get her a job at the Triangle Factory. Yet, when Siobhan arrives, Niamh is nowhere to be found.

Determined to find her sister, Siobhan questions the other women at the Triangle. They tell her—when the foreman isn’t listening—that Niamh was organizing a strike for better safety conditions before she disappeared. While the owners swear they don’t know anything about Niamh’s disappearance, other women who dared to speak out about the deplorable conditions in the factory have been found beaten by strikebreakers. Siobhan fears the factory owners hired these men to hurt her sister. Or worse. Proving they were involved with Niamh’s disappearance will be another matter altogether.

Frustrated by the police’s lack of effort to find Niamh and desperate to get the word out about her sister, Siobhan organizes a strike to raise awareness of the factory’s horrid conditions and Niamh’s disappearance. Then word reaches her that the strikebreakers have placed a target on her back. Siobhan must decide if she’ll continue to stand with the women of Triangle to try and prevent an inevitable disaster, or flee to safety lest she ends up vanishing like Niamh.

Complete at 102,000 words, THE ASH REFORM, is a historical novel about the Triangle Factory fire. Told from the point-of-view of Siobhan and two other women working in the factory, this work will appeal to those who enjoyed THE WOMEN OF COPPER COUNTRY by Mary Doria Russell and A FALL OF MARIGOLDS by Susan Meissner.

Status
Not open for further replies.