New to all this

jeb101

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
OK, that said, I am old as dirt and a member of the 8th generation of Americas oldest and largest continuously operating pottery family - we have been called "an American dynasty". I was raised and spent most of the first 18 years of my life at my Grandpa's pottery in Arden, NC, then went off and spent most of my life as a pilot, having been to many, many places around the world as well as living out of the country for a few years.

I started many years ago just writing down what little I knew about my family and it's amazing history. Then I started to write down my life being raised in and around the pottery. Then I started to write down what I know about other family members involved in pottery going back in to the 1700's. And then I decided I didn't have enough info to fill a book so I started to write down other stuff about my life - my time as a Navy pilot, etc. So what I have now is the start of a very strange book which doesn't fit into any of the "normal" guidelines of a book - part autobiography, part ?.

I come here to learn how to put all this together. My first thought was to have one chapter on pottery and one on "other stuff" of my life but that would really be a strange book which is already strange.

I posted a question about using an MS Word book template and the problems I am having with it and asked if there was a suggestion of something else to use.

Tks for listening - stay safe - jb

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, Jeb. Top drawer intro, chock full of interesting facts about our newest member. Would that other introductions were half as good. :greenie
Thank you for your service. :e2salute:

TylerJK

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! This sounds like a very interesting concept. It gets my creative juices flowing. If I was working on it, I would use pottery as the consistent theme throughout. Perhaps you could write about the first generation, the circumstances of their lives, where they lived what time period, hardships etc and that could transition into them getting involved with pottery. Then, the next chapter could be solely about their work with pottery. Then, you could continue this cycle right up to you. Just a thought and best of luck!

jeb101

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Tyler, that sounds like a great idea - my family has been written about in many book that have to do with southern folk pottery, the most in depth being "Brothers In Clay: The Story of Georgia Folk Pottery" by Professor John A Burrison. He traces the family back to the 1700 hundreds. The problem is that there is very little known about those early family members and I wouldn't want to just copy what others have written. I have direct knowledge of my, my fathers generation and two of the 5 of my Grandpa's generation and other than what is already written about the other 3 brothers I have no idea how to find out more info on them. As mentioned, others have written about them in the many books about the family.

My thought was to write about my time being raised at my Grandpa's pottery - even was planning on using the title - "Brown's Pottery - From the Inside", but using your approach might be the way to go.

Again, tks - stay safe - jb

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

scribemeetsworld

Registered
Reaction score
Website
scribemeetsworld.com
Wow, Jeb, you've led such an interesting life! I'm sure your book will be filled with fascinating details about an older way of living.

I think TylerJK's suggestion to stick to pottery throughout is a good one. Think about it in terms of marketing. It's going to be difficult to market the book if it's about both pottery and being a Navy pilot because these are two different audiences.

Also, to organize the material, think about the big takeaway you want your audience to have. That should help you put everything together.

Honestly, it looks like you have enough material for 2 -- or even more! -- books. :hooray:

I know that there are a lot of good articles on memoir writing on Jane Friedman's blog. You might want to check that out.

I wish you lots of luck!

Famoustapu

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there Jeb!

Welcome. Are you familiar with Trello. It would help you organize your thoughts and reach your goals. I's very convenient and it's free.

Good luck and see you around!

jeb101

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Tks for the welcome and all the great suggestions.

I am not doing this to sell the book although there is a market as family pottery is highly collected - one of Grandpa's devil jugs sold for over 50K - and there is so much written about the family in the past ,some errors which I would like to correct. It is mainly for present and future family members that know little of what I was a small part of and to pass on what little I know about the family as so many that have already passed have taken so much, not only about the family but about a whole way of life, to their graves,

But I don't think I have enough to fill a book - although I do have a lot of pictures of the shops, people working and the people. So I started to write down other things about my life which would be of little interest other than family.

I have had an interesting life - have been to so many places around the world, lived out of the country for a few years. But this is of more interest to me than others.

English was certainly not a subject I was interested in in school and reading, except on the internet, is not something I have had much of an interest - I did really enjoy all of James Carvell's books due to my interest in Japan and the people and those books of Tom Clancy. I have, however, enjoyed putting things down on paper. But am I an author? I have a friend that is a retired Professor Emeritus of Art/Ceramics that has written a number of books and he encouraged me to put things down on paper. I sent him two files I had written, one on pottery and one on the Navy. His comment on them was, "I read both completely - something I almost never do." I think he was saying they were interesting.

Again, tks to all. Stay safe - jb

Last edited:

scribemeetsworld

Registered
Reaction score
Website
scribemeetsworld.com
It is mainly for present and future family members that know little of what I was a small part of and to pass on what little I know about the family as so many that have already passed have taken so much, not only about the family but about a whole way of life, to their graves

Hi Jeb,

If your audience is your family, and not the general public (as I had originally assumed), then I think you can write about whatever you want. Both pottery and the Navy. They will be interested in it because they are interested in you, and what you have to say.

And the reaction of your professor friend certainly is promising! :)

PS: Started reading a Tom Clancy book -- can't remember the exact title, but Kremlin is in it. Liked what I read, and hope to return to it when I have more time for leisure reading.

jeb101

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
PS: Started reading a Tom Clancy book -- can't remember the exact title, but Kremlin is in it. Liked what I read, and hope to return to it when I have more time for leisure reading.[/QUOTE]

Scribe, the "Hunt For Red October" may be the one you are talking about - was one I enjoyed and made into a pretty good movie, which is unusual as most movies come no where close to the book. And example - James Carvell's, "Shogun", an outstanding book but a just so-so movie. - jb

Last edited:

EmptyEnvy

Registered
Reaction score
Hey there Jeb101

Another newbie here.

Wow, what an interesting life you have led, certainly makes me want to read about it!

When you mentioned that you have lots of disparate threads of different autobiographical stories, I got some flashes of a book I read a few years back, Moonglow by Michael Chabon, which is a memoir of loosely interwoven stories from his grandparent's lives (mostly non-fiction, but I assume he took some creative liberties, since it seems unlikely that his grandfather would have been able to recall such events in such detail on his deathbed). He does a great job weaving together the stories into a tapestry that feels cohesive. It's another book that I would describe as "not fitting any of the normal guidelines of a book" and might be a good point of reference for you? Even if not, I found it highly entertaining.

All the best,
EmptyEnvy

jeb101

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Tks, EE - will give it a look - sounds like he had the same problem I have, be interesting to see how he put it all together. - jb

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
If you wanted to go that way, I think you'd have enough stuff for a couple of books, at least.
First, your family and the potteries - there may have been other books written, but yours would be written from the 'inside' - you actually knew some of them, and had heard about others from people who knew them. Heck, how did your forefathers feel about having strangers studying them?
You were raised in that pottery tradition, and, I gather, are still carrying it on? In a time where traditions and old skills are dying right and left, this would be a fascinating story in itself, that time changes but something remains.

And, last but not least, your own story - usually this sort of generational story is about people who never leave 'home', their lives are bounded by their art or craft, unless they get out early, and generally never really return.
You went out, became a Navy pilot, didn't just 'do your hitch' ie the minimum patriotic necessity, but stayed with it for a while. When you returned, it was a choice, you had seen the outside and chose to return to pottery. That is an interesting story in itself. (And, I imagine that while in Japan, you would have brought a different appreciation to Japanese pottery, not just 'Oh, how pretty, how symbolic'. A more practical eye, I'm thinking. How is 'raku' different from your own firing methods.

I'd say you have a ton of material to work with, you just need to consider what you want to do with it.

jeb101

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Tks for the reply, Frimble. You, and others, have certainly given me some things to think about.

When I started I was just putting things down for myself and as I begin to think about putting it all together for mostly family I realized I didn't have enough to make a book. So I started to add in other stuff.

What I have ended up with is a mix - some autobiography, some info about others, some that have nothing to do about me, pottery, the Navy, flying. As an example, I have one on Geese - how as the young ones learn to fly they are a "gaggle" - all over the place - but they slowly turn into the beautiful "V" we see as they migrate. And one on mountain people of the southern Appalachians - how they went from living in virtually self contained communities to most everyone leaving for the "big cities". Some are several pages which would make a chapter and some are very short. No matter how I think to put it together it is going to be a strange book. :)

My Dad was career Navy - retired as a Chief Engineman - and I intended to make a career of it as well. After two tours to Vietnam on the USS Yorktown I said if they ever need me to help fight a war I will go but I am not playing the games that were going on there.

From the flying side, it was nothing but a competition between the Air Force Generals in Saigon, the Marine Generals in Da Nang and the Admirals on the aircraft carriers to see who could launch the most sorties. (Sortie - one aircraft launch on one mission) In some cases, they would launch a whole squadron when two aircraft could have done the job.

After those two tours, I spent the rest of my flying life for the airlines and some corporate flying as well - Lived in the middle east for several years and south of London for over one.

And that is that. :)

Take care - stay safe - jb

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Your website is lovely - what an interesting family. Let me know when the book comes out. :)

ETA: Just reading this thread, I wonder if you could weave the idea of potters and the pottery (and pots) through your own stories and your families stories and all the other disparate stories as a kind of theme that links the whole book? Alternate chapters - that sort of thing...

You must know so much about pottery - all the generations of knowledge before you and all your own experience as well. If it were me, I'd start really examining how much of the ideas of clay, and shaping, and work and care have an equivalent in the way I've lived my life, and thought about my life.

Little stories (the geese for instance) could be woven in - the form the geese take, and the learning process of how to create that form.

I think you could have a marvellous book here, simply because a) pottery (I love reading about pottery! Edmund de Waal's The White Road is one of my current fave books ever) and b) the depth of it in your rather extraordinary life.

I hope you will write it :)

Last edited:

jeb101

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Your website is lovely - what an interesting family. Let me know when the book comes out. :)

Tks, - it has some problems and I haven't been back to it in several years.

ETA: Just reading this thread, I wonder if you could weave the idea of potters and the pottery (and pots) through your own stories and your families stories and all the other disparate stories as a kind of theme that links the whole book? Alternate chapters - that sort of thing...

Interesting you said "alternate chapters". When I decided I didn't have enough info for a book on the family and pottery I thought about starting with one chapter on the pottery and the next on my time in the Navy - and alternating back and forth. Would make for a very strange book but might be interesting. :)

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And an interesting viewpoint on Vietnam - we hear so much about the ground war, and I never thought about the air-war being affected by petty games amongst the higher-ups. There have been stories told about what the guys who were shot down faced, but little mention of why they were sent up in the first place. (I mean aside from the usual 'just checking'.)