MS word book template

jeb101

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
New to all this writing stuff - downloaded the MS Word book template and don't understand how I am suppose to use it. I started to fill in what the template says IN THE TEMPLATE but now can't delete the boilerplate of the template. Are you suppose to start with a clean page and then put what the template says on that page?

Have not used Word in a long time and I am now using the Word in Office 2019 and find it much more difficult to use than the older Words I have use in the past.

Is there a better template you would suggest.

Tks - jb

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Are you using the template as MS Word expects, that is, you open MS Word, create a New document and then choose the template from the templates listed or are you editing the template itself? That won't do what you want.

Here's a decent introduction to using MS Word Templates.

jeb101

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Tks for the reply - I did a google search for MS Word book templates and downloaded one of them. It is very detailed with lots of info and has everything laid out from title, subtitle, etc and going forward. I then started to fill in my info IN THE TEMPLATE - title, subtitle, heading, chapter one, etc, and it worked just fine. But when I got to the copyright part it will now let me delete the template wording nor replace it with my info. I added the introduction and the first heading and now ready to start on my first chapter - note that I already have dozens of writings I have done over the years to just cut/paste. Guess I will go back and start with a blank page and go from there, following the template guidelines instead of the way I have started.

Again, tks for the reply and info - stay safe - jb

jeb101

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
edit - it will now let me delete most of the template language but not all - still can't delete the copyright info of the template. - jb

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
You are using the template in a way that it's not meant to be used.

It's meant to be sort of like a digital form on a pad. You can generate infinite versions using the same template —but not if you edit the template itself.

That's why you can't edit the copyright; the copyright is that of the template that isn't meant to be changed.

You need to start with an unedited copy if the template (which contains information for MS Word that you can't see) and add the template to MS Word so that when you chose New File you can choose to use the template to create the new file, which you can edit freely.

Here are instructions.

jeb101

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Tks again - what I have done is save the template but then use it as I had started - filling in the blanks and deleting the template part - and then saving that under a new file name. I haven't tried it yet but I believe the problem with the copyright is that it is either a header or footer - it shows up as grayed out - so I will try to edit that.

Again, tks - jb