• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking beta for literary/mainstream novel (first three chapters)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Otter

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelid
Registered
Reaction score
In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all
Hi,

I'm looking for someone to offer general feedback on the first three chapters (approximately 10,000 words) of my WIP, tentatively titled Fairytale for the Damned, a psychological drama set in early 1980s Nebraska. The first scene is in SYW: https://absolutewrite.com/forums/sh...d-(first-2-000-words)&p=10656598#post10656598

I am willing to swap (I'll read pretty much anything) but might be slow since I'm going through a busy spell.

I don't have a query letter for this yet but the premise is basically: a troubled loner (depressed Vietnam vet, recently fired from a pizza delivery job) goes to an isolated patch of woods to commit suicide and briefly glimpses someone fleeing into the darkness. He finds a notebook on the ground there filled with cryptic but intensely personal writing from someone who is also obviously struggling with suicidal urges, and he becomes obsessed with finding the journal's writer.

JohnLine

Owns a pen.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If it's only 10k words I'd be happy to look at it. No swap required.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be willing to look at it also- no swap required. I like it. It's gritty.

I've betaed but not too much, but I'll try to be a good and useful one!

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Let me know if you want a woman's perspective as well, and I'd be interested in a rain check on a swap--when my own WIP is is better shape.

The Otter

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelid
Registered
Reaction score
In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all
Giving this a bump since I'm still looking for a few additional readers, now for my first four chapters (about 13K words). I have a bit more time now so I'm willing to swap for roughly the same amount.

Thanks!

TylerJK

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Otter, I would be willing to give those chapters a read. I've just completed a 3500 word short story I'm looking for some general feedback on. PM if you're willing to do an exchange!

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Hey! I don’t know if you still want betas, but if you do again at any point in the process, lemme know. I read your excerpt, and it’s the kind of atmospheric lit fic I really enjoy. Would be happy to swap for a few chapters of my adult spec-tinged lit/mainstream novel about a drug that shows people their memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.