Criminal complaint outlines Michigan militia group's plot to kidnap Gov. Whitmer

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Criminal complaint outlines Michigan militia group's plot to kidnap Gov. Whitmer

According to the complaint, a Michigan-based militia group attempted to recruit members for the operation, which included storming the Capitol building in Lansing and take hostages, including Whitmer. The plan was reportedly supposed to be executed before the November 2020 election.

The militia group reportedly held several meetings over the summer where they participated in firearms training and combat drills; they also attempted to build IED devices, which were faulty and did not detonate as planned, according to the complaint.

The group then reportedly decided to abduct the governor at her vacation home and take her to a secure location in Wisconsin for "trial."

Once again, we see the impact of Trump's stochastic terrorism. He's disappointed they were caught, I'm sure.

I worry for the safety of anyone he targets. Anyone who supports him is endorsing this kind of violence and lawlessness.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The amount of projection from the political right still astounds me, even as I’ve come to expect it. I’m sure these “freedom fighters” were justifying this as “protecting America from dangerous leftists who want to destroy America”.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
This just keeps getting scarier and scarier. This is what happens when one of our two parties is tossing dog whistles (and dog klaxons) to these groups and refusing to clean their own house.

And I don't even have to log onto facebook today to know that conservatives will either be ignoring this, or saying it's fake news, or insisting Antifa has a similar plot. Because that's the best they've got.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Thirteen people in all have been charged. These are the charges against some of the others.

"The individuals in (state) custody are suspected to have attempted to identify the home addresses of law enforcement officers in order to target them, made threats of violence intended to instigate a civil war, and engaged in planning and training for an operation to attack the capitol building of Michigan and to kidnap government officials, including the governor of Michigan," Nessel said at a press conference.

I'm cynical enough to wonder, given how white nationalists have infiltrated law enforcement, if the threats against officers helped move the investigation. I'm afraid for Whitmer, for other Democratic governors, and for all of us, frankly.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thirteen people in all have been charged. These are the charges against some of the others.

I'm cynical enough to wonder, given how white nationalists have infiltrated law enforcement, if the threats against officers helped move the investigation. I'm afraid for Whitmer, for other Democratic governors, and for all of us, frankly.

This is beyond crazy.

The thing about instigating a civil war is chilling.

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
This is beyond crazy.

The thing about instigating a civil war is chilling.

Agreed. We need to call them terrorists, not "militias". I've been wondering if we are already in a long-haul, small-scale civil war if you think of the Oklahoma City bombing, attacks on abortion providers, hate crimes and now this plot as all the same conflict.

I'm really concerned these paramilitaries are going to go full Contra in the next few weeks and months.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
If we aren't already in a borderless civil war, some people sure as heck are trying to get us there... generally the ones with the most to gain from general chaos, as it would be unlikely to result in a clear-cut victory for any side. This isn't a states vs states thing, it's literally a neighbor vs neighbor thing, the kind of long-grind destabilization that will just fester and breed on itself - until either an outside distraction comes along or someone with a Very Big Boot squashes the lot of us "for our own good." (Gee, wonder who plans to be that boot - once they've destroyed enough and turned enough of a profit, that is.)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Agreed. We need to call them terrorists, not "militias". I've been wondering if we are already in a long-haul, small-scale civil war if you think of the Oklahoma City bombing, attacks on abortion providers, hate crimes and now this plot as all the same conflict.

I'm really concerned these paramilitaries are going to go full Contra in the next few weeks and months.

When Trump loses (and I do hope it is a when, not an if), I worry that these groups will become more overtly violent.

And if he wins, or stages some kind of coup that allows him to win without all the ballots being counted, and the Left takes to the streets in protest, these terrorists will be out in force, looking for blood. And something tells me they will have their glorious leader's full blessing.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Let's hear NRA's opinion on this event.

*crickets*

-cb

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
A reporter interviewed a Michigan sheriff who shared a stage at a protest of Governor Whitmer. He does not regret sharing the stage and reminds us that the accused are innocent until proven guilty. Then he says they're being charged with kidnapping, but what were they trying to do? Were they trying to arrest her? He then cites the legal code and says even the governor isn't immune from being arrested by citizens. He said a lot of people are angry and want Governor Whitmer arrested. So, he gave like-minded terrorists their instructions for next steps.

The video is just over two minutes, but the sheriff's segment begins one minute in.

There are a lot of white supremacists, which I think Sheriff Leaf is, in law enforcement. This is going to be bad.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
A reporter interviewed a Michigan sheriff who shared a stage at a protest of Governor Whitmer. He does not regret sharing the stage and reminds us that the accused are innocent until proven guilty. Then he says they're being charged with kidnapping, but what were they trying to do? Were they trying to arrest her? He then cites the legal code and says even the governor isn't immune from being arrested by citizens. He said a lot of people are angry and want Governor Whitmer arrested. So, he gave like-minded terrorists their instructions for next steps.

The video is just over two minutes, but the sheriff's segment begins one minute in.

There are a lot of white supremacists, which I think Sheriff Leaf is, in law enforcement. This is going to be bad.

Wish I could say shit like this shocks me coming from law enforcement, but it doesn't. Not anymore.

This man has betrayed the public trust. He's unfit for office.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wish I could say shit like this shocks me coming from law enforcement, but it doesn't. Not anymore.

This man has betrayed the public trust. He's unfit for office.

While I’d love to hope his voters will eject him at the earliest opportunity, I no longer kid myself that his ugly opinions are outliers. If Trump has done anything useful, it’s shine a light on how many racist ignoramuses this country has. (What we can do about that is unclear, if anything.)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
While I’d love to hope his voters will eject him at the earliest opportunity, I no longer kid myself that his ugly opinions are outliers. If Trump has done anything useful, it’s shine a light on how many racist ignoramuses this country has. (What we can do about that is unclear, if anything.)

One thing that is particularly frustrating is the general ignorance and lack of engagement most voters have with local races. It's pretty common for voters to simply vote for incumbents in those offices, unless there is something particularly attention-grabbing.

Case in point is our own racist, sexist asshole county sheriff. He ran for congress in 2016 on a pro-Trump platform against a Democrat in my own district. He was defeated and sent back to being the county sheriff again. I've heard him on local public radio (being interviewed) opposing the state and city statuses. And he's responsible for the sheriff's department refusing to enforce the county (and state) mask order. I doubt he's on board with white terrorist plots to kidnap our governor, but I wouldn't put it past him to mealymouth his way out of condemning such a group openly were they to do something like that here.

But he won re-election in 2018 quite handily. I don't think it's because most of the folks in our county are okay with racism (in fact, our county is pretty diverse). It's simply ignorance. If they don't remember his platform from when he ran for congress (if they even remember that he is the same guy who ran for congress that most of them voted against), and don't listen to Beth Ruyack interviews on Capital Public Radio to hear his subtle, dogwhistle racism, they go with the path of least resistance, since crime has been down in the county in recent years and he's not running on an overtly racist platform.

I've been trying to better inform myself in recent years about the candidates in local races, from the parks commission to the sheriff to the county planners and judges etc. It's not always easy, as these candidates don't get the coverage the statewide candidates and propositions do, and some of them don't even have searchable platforms or statements on the web.

Last edited:

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com

I live in Barry County and am very ashamed to have him as our sheriff. Dar Leaf has no one running against him in this election, so I couldn't even vote the sum-a-bitch out (I voted absentee). There are some that are wanting to start a petition to get him to resign, and I will sign it if it does come to be.

Last edited:

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
One thing that is particularly frustrating is the general ignorance and lack of engagement most voters have with local races. It's pretty common for voters to simply vote for incumbents in those offices, unless there is something particularly attention-grabbing.

Case in point is our own racist, sexist asshole county sheriff. He ran for congress in 2016 on a pro-Trump platform against a Democrat in my own district. He was defeated and sent back to being the county sheriff again. I've heard him on local public radio (being interviewed) opposing the state and city statuses. And he's responsible for the sheriff's department refusing to enforce the county (and state) mask order. I doubt he's on board with white terrorist plots to kidnap our governor, but I wouldn't put it past him to mealymouth his way out of condemning such a group openly were they to do something like that here.

But he won re-election in 2018 quite handily. I don't think it's because most of the folks in our county are okay with racism (in fact, our county is pretty diverse). It's simply ignorance. If they don't remember his platform from when he ran for congress (if they even remember that he is the same guy who ran for congress that most of them voted against), and don't listen to Beth Ruyack interviews on Capital Public Radio to hear his subtle, dogwhistle racism, they go with the path of least resistance, since crime has been down in the county in recent years and he's not running on an overtly racist platform.

I've been trying to better inform myself in recent years about the candidates in local races, from the parks commission to the sheriff to the county planners and judges etc. It's not always easy, as these candidates don't get the coverage the statewide candidates and propositions do, and some of them don't even have searchable platforms or statements on the web.

In my county, it has been historically republican. On the local level there's hardly anyone running as democrat for the local offices. I've heard some who lean more democrat run as republican because they know they'll have a better chance of getting elected/reelected as a republican than as a democrat. All over in this county you see Trump/Pence signs and very few signs for Biden/Harris and other democrats. It's very disheartening when you're a liberal living in a very conservative area.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
In my county, it has been historically republican. On the local level there's hardly anyone running as democrat for the local offices. I've heard some who lean more democrat run as republican because they know they'll have a better chance of getting elected/reelected as a republican than as a democrat. All over in this county you see Trump/Pence signs and very few signs for Biden/Harris and other democrats. It's very disheartening when you're a liberal living in a very conservative area.

I remember how this felt when I lived in Newport Beach growing up. Our family were practically the only Democrats in the area, though somehow I ended up knowing some other kids in high school who were too. Being liberal during the Reagan years, and living in such a Conservative county, actually strengthened my convictions, because it made me think a lot more about what I believed was important and why.

Keep you chin up, and take comfort knowing that your vote could make a real difference.

Interesting thing about local races, ours here in CA (at least in the counties where I've lived in CA) tend to be non partisan. No party is given for the county board, school board, parks commission and so on. Researching the candidates can be hard, because not all of them even publish candidate statements on the website for the election. Still, for the ones who do provide statement, I can usually get a sense for which types of policies they are likely to favor. Someone who wants to reduce inequity and have more drug treatment programs and youth programs in our underserved communities, vs someone who wants teachers to have "merit based" pay and who is big on law and order. Hmmm, I wonder which one is the Republican?