Any recommendations for 19th century novel?

Famoustapu

Registered
Reaction score
What are other similar novels to Little Women?

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
There are lots of classic Victorian novels out there. What aspect of Little Women are you looking for? A story set in the United States around the time of the Civil War? A family-friendly novel? A novel centered around women's lives? And are you looking for something good to read, or something to learn from/emulate?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are lots, both published then and afterward taking place then. I'll list those that most remind me of Little Women, and not the Dickens, Tolstoy and Twain.

Notables for me:

Published in 20th Century but taking place in 1800s:

The Laura Ingalls Wilder Little House books
Sapphira and the Slave Girl by Willa Cather
My Antonia by Willa Cather

Published in the 1800s:

The Hidden Hand and Capitola's Peril by E.D.E.N. Southworth (these were hugely popular in the 1850s. Southworth wrote prolifically, so there are lots of similar books out there)

Last edited:

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
For me the first things that come up are classics like:

Anne of Green Gables and Gone With the Wind.

Both good books.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Tess of the d'Urbervilles was a trip. Dracula and Frankenstein are also great novels on either end of the century, but I really like epistolary stories so.

Gone With the Wind is going to read different if you're aware of racial justice issues at all, especially systematic racism and nostalgic views of slavery.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Are you looking for books written for children in the 19th century?

If so, try Frances Hodgson Burnett (A Little Princess, The Secret Garden, Little Lord Fauntleroy), Margaret Sidney (Five Little Peppers and How They Grew series), Susan Warner (The Wide, Wide World), as well as Louisa May Alcott's other books (Little Men, Eight Cousins, Rose in Bloom, Jo's Boys).

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
The What Katy Did series by Sarah Chauncey Woolsey (pen name Susan Coolidge). I've not read Little Women, but isn't it about a family of sisters? What Katy Did is very similar as Katy's the eldest of seven siblings and it's about their childhood antics and growing up.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I was thinking Caddie Woodlawn, but that was written in 1935 about a girl living in the 19th century.

Anne of Green Gables was published in 1908, so that might be a bit late.

There's Five Little Peppers and How They Grew, which was published in the late 1800s, I believe. Evidently there was a series of books published about this family, and it extended into the early 20th century. It's about five siblings growing up at this time, but the focus is on the eldest daughter, Polly.

I discovered this link, which lists 19th century girls' books, and it may have some useful titles. I don't know how available all of them are, but it might be worth looking. Looks like there are links to some of these.

https://www.readseries.com/

Oh, and if you want to go beyond books specifically about girls, there are children's books like Black Beauty and Beautiful Joe, which are still available in print and are intended to foster kindness to animals, which was an emerging concept in the late 19th century. The animal welfare movement actually informed the child welfare movement in the late 19th century.

There are the Little House books, of course. They were written later but the focus on the childhood and young adulthood of Laura Ingalls Wilder and her pioneer family in the 19th century. I loved those when I was a kid.

The Awakening Land Trilogy was written in the 40s and 50s, but it's about a pioneer family in the late 18th and early 19th centuries.

Last edited:

vicelimmer

Registered
Reaction score
If you're looking for 19th century novels, you can't miss Pride and Prejudice and War and Peace. Both are great reads from great authors.

I must say, the 19th century novels would be the greatest. They depict so much passion and innocence from that time.

Famoustapu

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all your recommendations. I'm gonna check each one and start from there. For sure, all will be interesting.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How on earth did we get to Post #11 without mentioning The Young Visiters by Daisy Ashford (published in 1919, but written in 1890 when Daisy was nine years old)?

An absolute masterpiece and quite short.