A Bit of Hope

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

If you don't know me, I've been writing for a long, long, long assed time. Many long breaks due to life throughout, but still. And subbing/querying for a good portion of it (sporadically), with no success. I don't see it said frequently anymore, but conventional wisdom used to be to expect form Rs, and then once you're getting personalized Rs and requests for more it was just a matter of time. Didn't go that way for me, I began with those personalized Rs and requests and just never got further. For perspective, for all the years I've been on AW I had to search through to figure out where good news goes, and still almost posted this in Rejection & Dejection, just because it can't be me with a real writing accomplishment, can it? :e2faint:

For some publication doesn't matter, they don't need the external validation. I've subbed less as time has gone on, but I've always maintained I write to be read, otherwise I'd just keep a journal. I want that damned validation.

Several months back I subbed a short to an old, respected lit mag that's been defunct for several years but is rebooting. Yeah, I've got big brass ones, for someone who could wallpaper not just my apartment but the entire Upper West Side of Manhattan with the rejections I've received, I have no business sending to the lit mags I do but there you have it. I'm so used to Rs saying send more it took a couple days after receiving the R for me to realize it wasn't a send-another-next-time but send more right now. So, some back and forth and a requested R&R later, I got an acceptance yesterday.

Squee!!!!!!

(and now I keep checking my email bc I'm certain I'm going to receive a f/u note that they've changed their mind or sent the acceptance by mistake)

:gone:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Ap - that's fantastic! Congratulations :) I'm stoked reading your story so you must be over the moon

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, ap123, this is so super and wonderful, I am delighted for you! Hard-earned and well-deserved.

:e2coffee:

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
cookies and nuts for all the squirrels who have offered support, cheers, and betas along the way :thankyou:

Oh wow! I'm just so thrilled for you!!!!! Congratulations!!

Thank you!!!

Ap - that's fantastic! Congratulations :) I'm stoked reading your story so you must be over the moon

Thanks, Layla!!!

Wow, ap123, this is so super and wonderful, I am delighted for you! Hard-earned and well-deserved.

:e2coffee:

Thank you, Lakey!

In the scheme of the publishing world, I know this is a small thing, but I am excited, I needed this.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Thank God someone finally recognized your writing for what it is!!! Congratulations--this is wonderful to hear.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:snoopy: Way to go, ap123!

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Thank God someone finally recognized your writing for what it is!!! Congratulations--this is wonderful to hear.

Woolybear, you are a kind and generous friend. Thank you! :heart:

:snoopy: Way to go, ap123!

Thanks, Liz! :D

My path to publication may not have been particularly lucky, but I have been very lucky with the friends I've made through AW over the years.

Animad345

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely wonderful news, congratulations! :partyguy:

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
ap123, that is AWESOME!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!! :hooray:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Perseverance for the win. Although talent probably has something to do with it, too. We're delighted on your behalf!

Maryn, who will buy you a cyber-drink

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, April, Animad, Hester, Introversion, and Maryn!

And Maryn, I'll happily share a drink with you! :Hug2:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This here is the announcement I've been waiting to hear. I'm so so so happy for you (and for the lit mag because it's a very smart lit mag indeed.)

hugs and more hugs and SQUEEE!!!! :Sun:

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
Just amazing news!! I've always admired your writing here on the boards and it shocks me to learn this will be your first pub. This is very, very deserved (and long overdue)!

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
This here is the announcement I've been waiting to hear. I'm so so so happy for you (and for the lit mag because it's a very smart lit mag indeed.)
hugs and more hugs and SQUEEE!!!! :Sun:

all the squees--you're making me blush, thank you!!

Just amazing news!! I've always admired your writing here on the boards and it shocks me to learn this will be your first pub. This is very, very deserved (and long overdue)!

Shocks me too--though probably in a different way, lol. Thank you!

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, this is wonderful news. Congratulations! :snoopy::snoopy::snoopy:

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it must be exciting now. So, what happens next? You have the acceptance letter. Do you call them or....?

I'm just curious.

Last edited:

bahamaswriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
fayknowles.blogspot.com
Congratulations ap123! Wonderful news. F. Scott Fitzgerald actually did paper his bedroom walls with rejection slips before he eventually sold a story! At least, that's how the story goes. This is your time now. Keep on writing and keep on submitting your work.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it must be exciting now. So, what happens next? You have the acceptance letter. Do you call them or....?

I'm just curious.

I'm not sure, to tell you the truth. I sent a reply email confirming yes, the story is available, thank you, etc, and I'm waiting to hear back. :)

Congratulations ap123! Wonderful news. F. Scott Fitzgerald actually did paper his bedroom walls with rejection slips before he eventually sold a story! At least, that's how the story goes. This is your time now. Keep on writing and keep on submitting your work.

Thank you! lol, I don't think I could handle literally staring at rejection slips all day. As for the rest, yes, time to get back to wording.