• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking beta reader for YA Horror / Norse Mythology ~74k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sollluna

keyboards: useful for typing errors
Registered
Reaction score
I’m working on polishing my YA Horror novel, WINTER & SKIING, HUNTING & VENGANCE, which is complete at 73, 970 words.

I’m happy to reciprocate and beta swap, preferably for works in horror, thriller, sci-fi, or fantasy. YA or adult (read widely across both, but more experience writing YA).

Logline: An ex-best student who ran away from real-life to work at a remote, wilderness ski resort ends up fighting for her life after accidentally summoning the Norse gods of skiing, and hunting.

It is a dark version of Norse mythology meets classic teen slasher film. Some thriller elements, some psychological elements, and some slasher, although not over the top gore. That said, it is horror so there is blood, guts, death, etc. If you would like more specifics of TW of what is in it, I can let you know.

I’ve had the novel read by a first round of betas and already edited it based on their feedback. I’m looking to get more feedback from a second round of betas (with the end goal of querying, etc. after the next round or rounds of edits).

I’m looking for general big picture comments: pacing, characters, which bits are most interesting, which bits need more fleshing out, etc. Or any other feedback you’d like to offer.

The first ~1.2k words are on the YA SYW forum here.

Story blurb:
Caitlin Lee ran away from her straight-A, overachieving school life to work for minimum wage at a remote mountain ski resort. After a tragic death and almost-kind-of-meltdown, there is no way she is going back to real life, no matter what her used-to-be best friend begs. And, despite what the friend thinks, it is not cult-like to burn old ski equipment and hail ancient Norse gods for fresh powder at the start-of-season staff-party. It’s just ski hill tradition.

Except this year, the gods answered the summons.

And they aren’t just the gods of winter and skiing. Ullr and Skadi are also the gods of hunting and vengeance. Gods who are stalking the resort in an eons-old contests between them for the highest kill score. Caitlin summoned them. She’s worth the most points.

In a whiteout blizzard, with all outside communication cut-off, Caitlin and the other survivors fight for their life against two ancient gods revelling in the thrill of the hunt.

Please post here, or PM if you're interested.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.