Greetings from the North

Easti

Registered
Reaction score
Why am I here?
Sometimes Writer trying to turn into consistent writer. Hoping to find some inspiration and hopefully make a few friends on the way. Science Fiction, Fantasy and History are my wheelhouse though mostly stick to SF/Fantasy when writing. Big fan of Michael Chabon, China Mievielle and Margaret MacMillian. I have a hard time actually sitting down and completing a work. Days of furious planning/writing/modifying go down the drain once I've had my writing fill. Whenever I start again its with some fresh new idea that has been metastasizing since i started the other writing exercise. Hoping to use this community as a guidepost and any direction to a post/subforum that would help me with this is appreciated. Currently reading book 5 of Wheel of Time and It Bleeds by Stephen King.

Who am I?

28 yo Male currently living in a fly-in community in Northern Ontario. Stocking the shelves at the local grocery store though my contract is almost up and will be heading back to Toronto in November. After that its EI then hopefully off to teach English in East Asia. I have a Bachelors in Economics and a Masters in Political Science which have done me no good. Reader, video gamer, pseudo-intellectual and continuously improving cook. My life is aimless and that's the way I like it..... for now. Come back to me in 5 years and we'll see if I'm so gung ho about my rootlessness.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Glad to have you here, Easti from the North!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome there!

I'm a 30 year-old Ontario-based writer myself.

Hopefully, you enjoy the forum.

Cheers!

Easti

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Fallen, Daniel and scribblemeetsworld!

Will definitely give Sanderson's videos a look. Haven't gotten to his parts yet but have heard good things about them/his other works.

I'm only at my current location for a month so havent been able to build up an ingredient cupboard so lots of basics right now. Last town I was in I received a lot of Moose meat from people in the community so I made Moose Roast a couple times which was a blast. Not many times you get to cook a brand new kind of meat yourself so i savored it. Before I started on my jaunt though I was really enjoying making various hot pots in an old fondue set my parents had. Just finding spice/base/ingredients that worked together. Probably my favourite though were Koreanish ones with a beef stock and lots of Gochujang. Throw in some slim sliced beef, cabbage and sprouts. Have a little soju and it was a great pre-2020 social meal.

Easti

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Cameron,

When cooked it tastes pretty similar to beef. Before though it REEKS though not sure if thats just cause it wasn't cured/aged like beef you get at the grocery store. Its leaner than beef so it doesnt fry up quite as nicely as beef so usually you have to add a fat/liquid which will change the taste. Mostly i made stews/roasts as it allowed for a longer cook time and made it tender by the end of cooking. Didnt make it myself but the moose jerky I got as a gift was great. The smoke covers up a lot of the smell but even that which pushes through gives it a less processed feel. Though I feel my enjoyment was increased just caused it played into the aesthetic of being in a remote community :tongue

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Hey Cameron,

When cooked it tastes pretty similar to beef. Before though it REEKS though not sure if thats just cause it wasn't cured/aged like beef you get at the grocery store. Its leaner than beef so it doesnt fry up quite as nicely as beef so usually you have to add a fat/liquid which will change the taste. Mostly i made stews/roasts as it allowed for a longer cook time and made it tender by the end of cooking. Didnt make it myself but the moose jerky I got as a gift was great. The smoke covers up a lot of the smell but even that which pushes through gives it a less processed feel. Though I feel my enjoyment was increased just caused it played into the aesthetic of being in a remote community :tongue

That is fascinating - thanks for informing me :)

TylerJK

Registered
Reaction score
Hello to another fellow Ontarian! I’m in a similar boat as you with having university degrees that I haven’t been able to put to practical use. However, I like to think completing them made me a more rounded person. I did take a science fiction course in uni that was excellent, it was a chance to read all the greats. It sounds like you have some exciting opportunities on the horizon. I wish you the best of luck with that and in your writing endeavours.

kinokonoronin

Purveyor of Madness
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Easti.

What videogame genre(s) do you prefer? Do you have an absolute favorite or most-played title?

Another curiosity: do you tend towards short fiction, novel-length works, or something in between?

Easti

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Tyler and Kino!

I used to be torn up about a wasted university degree but the ways it let me explore the world through reading, writing and learning academically have definitely opened my eyes in a lot of ways that the further i get from it the more i appreciate its effects on me as a person. A science fiction course sounds amazing! Anything off the beaten path you'd reccomend?

Mostly a strategy gamer Kino. Anything by Paradox Interactive is my wheelhouse as I like to manage and plan long term in games. Too much of an old man for twitchy shooters(I was a Halo:CE fanboy as youngin and still believe bulkier tactical shooters are more fun). Am playing Hades right now and absolutely love all things SuperGiant.

Kind of all over the place but am working on something that will hopefully be a novel one day. My dirty secret is that I have a terrible time finishing things. Ive written maybe a half dozen things that I would call complete and even those Ive rarely shared. Most of those are shorter stuff. D&D setting backstory/lore, a Warhammer 40k fanfic legion history, a couple short stories etc.. Stringing things together into a long arc plot is always a pain for me hence the attempt to write something longer prose.

TylerJK

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Tyler and Kino!

I used to be torn up about a wasted university degree but the ways it let me explore the world through reading, writing and learning academically have definitely opened my eyes in a lot of ways that the further i get from it the more i appreciate its effects on me as a person. A science fiction course sounds amazing! Anything off the beaten path you'd reccomend?

Mostly a strategy gamer Kino. Anything by Paradox Interactive is my wheelhouse as I like to manage and plan long term in games. Too much of an old man for twitchy shooters(I was a Halo:CE fanboy as youngin and still believe bulkier tactical shooters are more fun). Am playing Hades right now and absolutely love all things SuperGiant.

Kind of all over the place but am working on something that will hopefully be a novel one day. My dirty secret is that I have a terrible time finishing things. Ive written maybe a half dozen things that I would call complete and even those Ive rarely shared. Most of those are shorter stuff. D&D setting backstory/lore, a Warhammer 40k fanfic legion history, a couple short stories etc.. Stringing things together into a long arc plot is always a pain for me hence the attempt to write something longer prose.

I remember reading “Exhalation” by Ted Chiang. That one seemed unique and was very thought provoking.

EmptyEnvy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Easti,

Feeling lots of kinship here. I too have a useless (at least in terms of job prospects) undergrad degree in recording arts and music composition. I too feel like it was worth it for the experience (I do use a lot of what I learned for my own hobbies) and the way it broadened my perspective.

I also play video games (I prefer single player puzzle and story-driven games) and I am also playing Hades and loving it. Roguelikes don't usually appeal to me but man, I am addicted to this one, the writing/voice acting, the music, the art style, it's all just fantastic.

I think "not being able to finish things" is a very common dirty secret for creative people, especially those of us who might be prone to perfectionism. For me, the only way past this is to try and let go of what I want it to be and just let it be what it is, knowing that it won't be the last thing I ever produce. Endings are tough, and we put a lot of pressure on them to be earth-shattering, but if the journey is good enough, I certainly can forgive an ending that is so-so.

Looking forward to reading some of your stuff in the future!

EmptyEnvy

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Nice to have you with us! I'm in B.C., btw.
I have only heard about the winters back East.
Remember, no matter where your rootlessness takes you, find an Internet connection and we're right there with you! (Time zones permitting.)

kg-writes

Lost in Revisions
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Easti!

I actually spent a good chunk of my childhood living near Timmins, ON. I haven't had moose in ages, but I do remember it being very good. I'm in Northern Alberta now. Great to see lots of Canadians on the boards.

Easti

Registered
Reaction score
Dang there's a lot of Canadians here.

I'm a southerner by most Easterner standards so am happy to get out of the true north before the winter hits. It's been Freezing Rain, Hail and light snow dustings for a few weeks here which is much much worse than any snowfall imo. Plus the internet connection for the whole town is real spotty now which is dreadful for a softy like me.

Kg, very cool. Will be 'seeing' Timmins for the first time in a week or so. My bus home has a transfer there between Kapuskasing and Toronto. What took you up to Northern Alberta? Oil boom or something else?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Welcome from a fellow Canadian! I'm in Toronto...a lifer. I also love Chabon...though his earlier stuff is my fave. I'm having a hard time finishing projects myself these days.

Hope you enjoy!