Paid Mentors.

Just Jeremy

Registered
Reaction score
I was curious if anyone as a beginner, or otherwise, has taken on a paid mentor to look over their chapters as they're written to guide them and their story's development. I've found some of the SYW crits invaluable as a beginner, moving me faster than I seem to be able to move myself in learning what makes good writing. But to expect AW member generosity to continually take on that role is a bit much to ask, I believe.

There are some here who obviously have a very deep knowledge of the craft. and that has got to be worth something (if indeed they wanted to take on a mentor role.) So, what do you think would be fair reward for a person to look over your work every couple of weeks as a mentor?

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
There are a lot of books on writing, videos on Youtube about how to plot and character development, and helpful websites out there (AW being one of them). I suggest you do some research before setting out.

Also - READ A LOT OF BOOKS, especially in your chosen genre. You'll get a feel for the rhythm of the story and see how characters react to each other.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
There really isn't a "paid mentor," like how there isn't "paid volunteers." A mentor is someone who you look up to and they're helping you because they want you to be better and they want to see you grow and succeed. They like you and believe in you, so they're going to give you some hard truths and that's because they want to see you succeed. But if you're paying someone to do that, then why would they really challenge you? You might get mad and stop paying them. They might just kiss your ass.

There are editors that you can pay to go over your work (hey there's even an ad for one on the top of every page!) but it can get expensive, especially if your book is longer. Hundreds if not thousands of dollars, which is a LOT if you only see writing as a hobby or a side job. Editing can also be you get what you pay for. Checking for grammar/spelling or basic logic mistakes is a lot cheaper than giving feedback on character arcs, themes or plotting.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've found some of the SYW crits invaluable as a beginner, moving me faster than I seem to be able to move myself in learning what makes good writing. But to expect AW member generosity to continually take on that role is a bit much to ask, I believe.
The idea is that you repay it here by doing crits for other people. A crit is a reader perspective, so assuming you read, you'll be more than qualified.

But there are also editors who will look at your work for a fee, as ChaseJxyz says. Just make sure you vet them carefully - and be prepared to pay. Expertise isn't free. That's usually a one-book arrangement though. You're unlikely to find a career mentor outside of college - or (perhaps?) writercons maybe?

Just Jeremy

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all. I guess the money component could indeed blur the lines a little between genuine desire in trying to help one's development and income. And yes, my initial searches have shown editors can be quite pricey, which I do understand. I'd also thought having someone in your corner who'd be interested in pushing you along might also add a little more motivation or focus on those days when other things draw the attention away from writing.

Anyway, thanks to you all for continuing to offer your help and experience to those of us who are just starting out - it's certainly most appreciated.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect that you'd have to pay an awful lot over standard rates to have someone constantly checking in on you, pushing you to write on a daily basis, etc.
Unless they were, perhaps, an older female blood-relative.
You could try daily posting in The Break Room, under 'Goals and Accomplishments'. There's usually a 'Write Every Day Challenge' every month.

Just Jeremy

Registered
Reaction score
My thought was perhaps having a loose agreement where every two weeks I'd provide two and a half thousand words or so to be gone over with the fee paid two weeks prior. The early payment and deadline might help keep focus as opposed to expecting a daily or weekly push. The feedback and guidance would be just as important or sought after.

Thanks for suggestion "Goals and Accomplishments" suggestion.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
mccardey is right; look at your local community colleges and extension programs for a novel writing class or something similar.

Consider joining an online writers group—better still, join NaNoWriMo. You still have time to find a NaNo group, and start prep.

See this special NaNoWriMo sub forum.

It is likely that the teacher will not have a killer publication record, but may be an excellent teacher and writer nonetheless.

There are any number of people working as beta readers for pay or editors who have somewhat thin credentials, knowledge and experience; be wary.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all. I guess the money component could indeed blur the lines a little between genuine desire in trying to help one's development and income. And yes, my initial searches have shown editors can be quite pricey, which I do understand. I'd also thought having someone in your corner who'd be interested in pushing you along might also add a little more motivation or focus on those days when other things draw the attention away from writing.

Anyway, thanks to you all for continuing to offer your help and experience to those of us who are just starting out - it's certainly most appreciated.

It's a matter of nailing the butt to the chair and doing the work. I am my boss, and I am my employee. My boss expects me to edit 10,000 words today but she doesn't mind however I choose to do it. My employee is great--she always comes through on my expectations.

Be an understanding boss, but be a boss--and be a hardworking employee.

My thought was perhaps having a loose agreement where every two weeks I'd provide two and a half thousand words or so to be gone over with the fee paid two weeks prior. The early payment and deadline might help keep focus as opposed to expecting a daily or weekly push. The feedback and guidance would be just as important or sought after.

Thanks for suggestion "Goals and Accomplishments" suggestion.

I'm not certain I understand how a two-week paid deadline differs from a weekly writing goal except for the money. If you haven't gotten the advice yet, look for a writer's group. One that I found last spring, the seven of us agreed we would get through our novels week by week. We must turn in 1700 words per week and critique all the other excerpts as well. Every Monday the next excerpt is due, every friday, we spend two hours discussing them.

It's free, it's work, and it is gold.

Mentors are still just people--and most who are given to a mentoring mindset aren't in it for the money... in my experience...

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
This seems like a good time to link the "Learn Writing With Uncle Jim" thread. Several hundred forum pages that, IMO, add up to the equivalent of at least one advanced level college writing class, probably more, all for free.

It will also introduce you to the concept of Yog's Law, which states that money flows towards the writer.