Helen Reddy has left us

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rolling Stone: Helen Reddy, ‘I Am Woman’ Singer and Activist, Dead at 78

Obit:
Born in Melbourne, Australia, Reddy grew up in a show-biz family with actor parents. She performed as a child and later won a singing contest that brought her to New York to audition for a record contract. Though that situation did not materialize, she chose to remain in the U.S. and signed to Capitol Records. She recorded several singles, which climbed the charts.

In the Seventies, several of her songs made the Top 40, with three hitting Number One, including her enduring hit “I Am Woman.” The song earned a Grammy Award for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance. Her other Number One bowing hits, include her rendition of Alex Harvey’s “Delta Dawn” and Alan O’Day’s “Angie Baby.” In 1974, she garnered a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

But before her hits and fame, she struggled as a single mother in New York, then later she moved to Chicago with her then-husband and manager Jeff Wald, where she released the single “One Way Ticket” on Fontana, which modestly charted in her native Australia.

Their move to Los Angeles proved more fruitful. It was there that she signed to Capitol and released her defining song, “I Am Woman,” which she cowrote with Ray Burton. Inspired by her involvement in women’s movement, it didn’t initially make waves, but the song gained popularity and eventually climbed to the top of the charts, making her the first Australian singer to hit Number One in the U.S., and it also earned her a Grammy. During her Grammy acceptance speech, she thanked “God, because She makes everything possible.”

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sigh. I suppose it should never be a surprise when a prominent figure of her generation dies, but that doesn't make it any less sorrowful.