Who Else Is Watching The Debate?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just want to think I'm not the most tragic of all the political tragics...

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Just want to think I'm not the most tragic of all the political tragics...
No, I'm here, too. Maybe it's easier because we're not Americans? It's a little more distanced? Not really, if they go nuts down there, but it's not like we can m
ake any difference, either way.
But at least we can keep track of what's going on.
Nonetheless,
:popcorn:

Last edited:

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I have it on. Not sure how long I'll last, though. I can't stand listening to that man unless he's channeled through Sarah Cooper...

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Biden telling Trump "Shut up, man" is probably a marker for the respect being shown here. Christ, it's awful. And Trump is just lying and interrupting and smugging.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Having missed the start, I gather the rules for this debate are: Tr*mp gets 2 minutes to answer. If Biden interrupts, he's told to wait his turn. Tr*mp then also gets Biden's 2 minutes to talk over Biden. Chris Wallace says, "Okay, let's move on to the next topic."

"Shut up, man," is exactly what I've said to the TV at least 20 times, though I didn't go with "man" at the end. More like, "Shut up, you f*^%!ng moronic narcissistic f&^#!"

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
On the other hand, Biden got to "Shut up, man" first.
The moderator doing his valiant best to maintain some decorum, to stop them talking over each other.
Audience: commendable restraint and silence.
And now Trump makes the first personal insult re: Biden saying Trump didn't make a 'smart' decision.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm disappointed Trump said no one would show up at Biden's rallies and the latter didn't mention Tulsa.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The awful thing is Trump is totally setting the pace. I know that because I'm sitting here wishing Biden would just say more things. Even though so much of what Trump says is utterly illogical, he says it quickly enough that people will accept it.

Frimble, is there butter on that popcorn?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Trump interrupts moderator.
Now he's arguing with the moderator (he had his two minutes, Biden had his, but Trump wanted to rebut.)

Moderator asks about Trump's taxes. Trump is arguing. Biden suggests Trump show his taxes, like he was supposed to. Trump is claiming he's paid millions. He's doing the old 'well, I was just clever about tax credits' line.
Biden saying he will fix the tax code.
They are now sniping at each other.
Moderator wrenches control back.
Biden is now talking about the economy.
They are now talking over each other.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The moderator, rightly or wrongly, is coming across as so unable to moderate as to be entirely biased in his directions

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I gave up five minutes ago. I've found a replay of the 2018 Grand Final, and it's far more pleasant watching. I couldn't take any more -- I'll catch the highlights (if there are any) later.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I'm gonna go get a videogame. No one's minds are going to change after seeing this.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Not watching live. Maybe I’ll see highlights tomorrow.

I can’t stand conflict. Makes me anxious, uncomfortable, want to hide under a blanket. Knowing how important this election is, it’s even more frustrating. And hearing lies and pettiness makes me angry.

All in all, a good mix of emotions to avoid. I’m reading text updates from NYT though.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not watching live. Maybe IÂ’ll see highlights tomorrow.

I canÂ’t stand conflict. Makes me anxious, uncomfortable, want to hide under a blanket. Knowing how important this election is, itÂ’s even more frustrating. And hearing lies and pettiness makes me angry.

All in all, a good mix of emotions to avoid. IÂ’m reading text updates from NYT though.
Yes, I think I'm going to have to turn it off now. I can see no benefit from it. Hopefully they'll cancel the rest of them.

I'm sickened for America.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
If Trump gets angry enough he might just up and leave, and refuse to attend any other.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
The awful thing is Trump is totally setting the pace. I know that because I'm sitting here wishing Biden would just say more things. Even though so much of what Trump says is utterly illogical, he says it quickly enough that people will accept it.

That's always been his shtick, and enough of the population considers that sufficient display of dominance to declare him silverback, unfortunately...

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
God it was awful.

ETA: Proud Boys, stand back and stand by is a pretty scarey quote, especially when followed immediately with But something has to be done about Antifa.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
They are still talking over each other. Chief difference:
Trump tends to snarl, Biden talks evenly and steadily.
And apologized when he called Trump a 'clown'.
Biden is now talking directly to Americans and their families.
Both men are now dissing each others family.
Moderator seems to be losing his temper. He reminded them about not interrupting each other. Pointed out to Trump that he's been doing most of it.

Now it's onto race issues.
Biden calls out Trump on "very fine people'. And the church/bible scene.
Trump reminds Biden when Biden called black people 'superpredators' years back. Trump is praising how many police love him. Now he's talking about sending in the troops to 40 cities. Apparently all Democrats are 'radical left'.
Biden is talking about 'bad apples' on the police, and gathering all sides to discuss how to change things.

Moderator: shuts them up, and talks about racism, Trump's shutting down racial sensitivity training.

They are now arguing about who's the biggest fan of law and order.

Moderator: Homicides in America, whether Democrats and Republicans. Trump and Biden are both worried about the suburbs.
Moderator: changing policing, how do they feel about BLM?
Biden talking, Trump interrupts complaining that Biden can't even say 'law and order'.
Moderator gets them on to urban violence. Asks if Biden has ever called the leaders of Portland, etc, and asked them to do something. Biden says no, he's not an elected official, he has no standing.
Trump says he could call out the National Guard, that the right wing isn't the trouble, that he only sees Antifa and lefties.
They are now arguing about what Antifa is.

Why does either think they should be elected?
Trump claims he's the best President, ever. And, thanks Obama and Biden for giving him all those judgeships to fill.
Biden starts, Trump interrupts again, Mod smacks him down, says Trump's people agreed to the rules, Trump interrupts the moderator. (Honestly, if our Admin were running this, Trump would be out on his ear.)
Trump is now insulting Biden's son (out of turn).
Mod shuts him down and moves to climate change.

Oh, God -the Moderator is actually asking Trump about climate science. Trump goes on a rant about forest management and how we need to manage the forests more. Because the economy is doing well, otherwise.
Trump acknowledges that he lowered the standards for car
emissions to lower the prices.
Biden, on his plans for lower-emission fuels, charging stations and new tech.
Biden seems to lose it a little, fortunately masked by another Trump interruption. Biden recovers, and points out that the restructuring he would cause would create a lot of good paying jobs.
Trump is carrying on again. Biden is asked his final question, about the economy. I think the reason Biden had problems is that he has to think over the sound of Trump butting in and talking over.

They are talking about ballots. Biden points out that no reputable agencies believes there is fraud. Biden begs people to vote in any way that they can.
Trump starts with the paranoia again. Everyone is against him, and cheating. And, the voting fraud again.

Now they are both shouting. Moderator asking about not fraudulent ballots, but incorrectly filled out ballots. Biden gives a reasoned answer, Trump can't shut up.
Moderator points out that poll workers aren't even allowed to open the ballot envelopes before election day.
He asks both men if they are willing to wait for the ballots all to be counted, and not declare victory until all votes are in.

Trump is telling his people to go out there as random 'poll-watchers' in polling places. Apparently some have already been thrown out. He makes no promises.

Biden says of course he'll wait til all ballots are counted, because that way he'll be the President of all America.
Trump is more or less shamed into grudgingly going along.

TL;dr It was undignified and a trainwreck according to commentators afterwards. Apparently a lot of people just turned it off.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Well, I watched it, down to the "I declare this debate over" statement" by Chris Wallace, whom I suspect will not be working for Fox news much longer.

I felt like I had to, but I never want to see this again. The term "dumpster fire" does not do it justice.

And oh, I actually feel kind of sorry for Melania. Yeah, she made her bed and all that, but can you imagine living with that? I don't think I'd wish that home life on my worse enemy.

I have a headache. I need to walk my dogs.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: Proud Boys, stand back and stand by is a pretty scarey quote, especially when followed immediately with But something has to be done about Antifa.