• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What to show and what not to show

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
Melissa Caruso had a good thread on some of her thoughts when deciding what to show and what not to show:

https://twitter.com/melisscaru/status/1310928164231811073

"Seems like every draft I make mistakes I have to fix in edits, both showing stuff I should skip and skipping stuff I should show.

For instance, EVERY FIRST DRAFT I wind up showing planning scenes I have to cut later (usually because I'm figuring out the plan as I write)."

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Sanderson shows the heist-planning scene for Kelsior and his crew in Mistborn--there is literally a chalkboard and he (the character) is soliciting from each other character how they will help pull off the heist. We read about Kelsior writing down each piece of the plan. We see the columns on the chalkboard. Whole thing, piece by piece.

First time I read the book I sort of followed along with the scene, chugged through it. Second time, I thought, Aha. You are figuring out the heist in your writing, Sanderson. I see it. Heheh. Maybe, maybe not, but it fits the quote you provided, Mythmonger!

Last edited: