Breonna Taylor Shooting

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
If you're not familiar with the March shooting of Breonna Taylor there is a timeline here.

New development today.

Grand juror files suit seeking release of transcript in Breonna Taylor case

A grand juror in the Breonna Taylor case is asking the courts to release the grand jury transcript and records, according to a new court filing.

"The full story and absolute truth of how this matter was handled from beginning to end is now an issue of great public interest and has become a large part of the discussion of public trust throughout the country," the attorney for the juror wrote in the court filing.

Filed just after 4 p.m. Monday, the grand juror is not named in the document and seeks to remain anonymous. They ask only to have the proceedings disclosed so "the truth may prevail," they wrote.

The suit calls out Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron for saying the grand jury agreed that Louisville police officers Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly and Detective Myles Cosgrove were justified in shooting Taylor, an unarmed Black woman, because her boyfriend fired at them first.

I've never heard of a grand juror doing this before, but good for them. It's seemed obvious to me that Cameron and the police were carrying out (or trying to) a cover up. I hope the truth does come out and Breonna Taylor receives the justice too often denied unarmed Black men, women, and children killed by police.

• Wow
Reactions: MaeZe and dickson

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
If you're not familiar with the March shooting of Breonna Taylor there is a timeline here.

New development today.

Grand juror files suit seeking release of transcript in Breonna Taylor case

I've never heard of a grand juror doing this before, but good for them. It's seemed obvious to me that Cameron and the police were carrying out (or trying to) a cover up. I hope the truth does come out and Breonna Taylor receives the justice too often denied unarmed Black men, women, and children killed by police.

I hope some justice can come of this. How anyone can think our system is working when police can bust down someone's door in the middle of the night and kill the person who lives there and not be charged in her killing? Is the prospect of finding a package with drugs in (even assuming Taylor was still involved with the guy who supposedly sold drugs) it worth the risk to human life?

Last edited:
Reactions: MaeZe

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
This whole thing is so monstrous, from the shooting to how it was handled legally. What little worth is given to black lives AGAIN, and also the constructed importance of the "war on drugs". No cop shoots up a liquor store, what's so much more awful about pot or meth that justifies destroying human lives? Remember they chucked a grenade in a baby's face in a no knock drug raid I vaguely remember also being at the wrong address. It makes me so angry. And you're allowed to have a gun, except to defend yourself when people are storming your home, then that gun gives them the right to empty their clips into you? Call me naive, but all of this is WRONG.

Reactions: MaeZe and dickson

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
The grand jury recordings are going to be released tomorrow.

Attorney for grand juror in Breonna Taylor case says prosecutor ‘may not have presented’ all the evidence

An attorney for a grand juror who considered charges in the death of Breonna Taylor said Tuesday that the Kentucky attorney general “may not have presented” all the evidence but that he could not detail what was missing until a recording of the proceedings is released and his client is allowed to speak about the process.

Kevin Glogower, who represents the unidentified grand juror, said Attorney General Daniel Cameron (R) framed responsibility for the charging decision differently Monday than when he announced it last week. Cameron initially said the jury agreed with prosecutors that the only warranted charges were for wanton endangerment against one officer, but he later said those charges were the only indictments his office recommended.

Cameron's trying very hard to deny Breonna Taylor justice, imo. I hope he fails and is held accountable.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
This whole thing is so monstrous, from the shooting to how it was handled legally. What little worth is given to black lives AGAIN, and also the constructed importance of the "war on drugs". No cop shoots up a liquor store, what's so much more awful about pot or meth that justifies destroying human lives? Remember they chucked a grenade in a baby's face in a no knock drug raid I vaguely remember also being at the wrong address. It makes me so angry. And you're allowed to have a gun, except to defend yourself when people are storming your home, then that gun gives them the right to empty their clips into you? Call me naive, but all of this is WRONG.

You've very much summed up my thoughts on this.

The war on drugs was and is a monstrosity. Whether or not it was intended this way, the effect has been a war on Communities where a high percentage of residents are Black or/and Latinx, because of course there's a huge double standard on which drugs and which drug users are considered the biggest problems.

If only we'd spent the money we spent on aggressive policing and on prisons instead on education, treatment programs, after school youth programs, job training etc., then we'd have less crime, less poverty, fewer people in prison, fewer people with addiction issues, and fewer people of color murdered by police.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I have not listened yet, but the grand jury audio files are here.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Interview with the boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, today on CBS. This is from my memory of the interview.

They were in bed watching Freedom Riders. There was a loud knock on the door. They both asked who was there. There was no answer. They got up and started getting dressed when the door was kicked in off the hinges. He grabbed his gun and shot once. They were met with a volley of bullets. On the floor trying to stay down he called his mom, then 911, then Breonna's mom. They played the 911 call. He clearly had no idea at that time the police were the shooters. When he saw the police who still had not entered the apartment, he went out thinking they were sent by his 911 call. That's when they arrested him. When he was in the back of the police car (unmarked) one of the officers came over and said there'd been some kind of miscommunication. (He might have said misunderstanding.) At the police station they took his handcuffs off. He was able to walk around, go to the bathroom. They never did tell him Breonna was dead. He found out by hearing it on the news.

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Kentucky judge orders grand jury records unsealed in Breonna Taylor case

While grand juries normally operate under the veil of secrecy, this case was unique because all parties are known to the public and Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron has given extensive statements on the case, according to O'Connell.

"To be clear, this court's ruling on this motion is applicable only to this case," O'Connell wrote.

"There exists additional interest to consider in making this decision: the interest of the citizens of the Commonwealth of Kentucky to be assured that its publicly elected officials are being honest in their representations."

Former Louisville police Det. Brett Hankison had been indicted for firings shots into the apartment of Taylor's neighbors, but there were no charges brought against the officers over the fatal shooting of the 26-year-old inside her apartment on March 13.

“As applied in this case, this court finds that the traditional justifications for secrecy in this matter are no longer relevant,” O'Connell wrote in her 11-page order. “This is a rare and extraordinary example of a case where, at the time this motion is made, the historical reasons for preserving grand jury secrecy are null.”

One juror has released a statement:

"Being one of the jurors on the Breonna Taylor case was a learning experience. The three weeks of service leading up to that presentation showed how the grand jury normally operates. The Breonna Taylor case was quite different. After hearing the Attorney General Daniel Cameron's press conference, and with my duty as a grand juror being over, my duty as a citizen compelled action," the statement said. "The grand jury did not have homicide offenses explained to them. The grand jury never heard anything about those laws. Self defense or justification was never explained either."

They said "questions were asked about additional charges," but the grand jury was told there would be none because the prosecutors didn't feel they could make them stick.

"The grand jury didn't agree that certain actions were justified, nor did it decide the indictment should be the only charges in the Breonna Taylor case," the statement said. "The grand jury was not given the opportunity to deliberate on those charges and deliberated only on what was presented to them. I cannot speak for other jurors but I can help the truth be told."

This grand juror chooses to remain anonymous for now. Even so, I worry for their safety.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Having served on a grand jury, I can attest to the accuracy of the old cliche that a district attorney can get a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich. Even if there is no ham sandwich, that hypothetical sandwich is gonna get its ass indicted!

There's really no reason it shouldn't work that way. You're only getting one side of the story. You hear what the district attorney wants you to hear. In Ohio, it's 24 of us in a jury room for two weeks hearing testimony from cops, detectives, forensics, and occasionally victims and all for the purpose of deciding Robbin' Roy or Sleazy Sally are going to be indicted for doing whatever the D.A. wants them indicted for.

Or not. The care and feeding of a grand jury depends entirely on what charges they do or do not want to have the accused individual(s) to face. In the Breonna Taylor case, Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron was very selective in the charges against the killer cops. What he didn't want was for them to be charged with murder.

Cameron, a protege of Moscow Mitch McConnell, and a rising star in Republican politics, made certain the grand jury never was presented with that option.

A grand jury was later convened and ultimately recommended charges against former Louisville Metro Police Department Officer Brett Hankison, who is now facing three counts of wanton endangerment. Hankinson has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Neither Hankison nor the two other officers involved in the shooting were charged in connection with Taylor's death -- the charges against Hankison stem from the errant bullets that penetrated a wall of the residence and entered a neighboring apartment occupied by a child, a man and a pregnant woman.

Kevin Glogower, who is now representing two anonymous grand jurors in the case, had previously asked the judge to release discovery information and to allow jurors to speak publicly, despite long-standing practices against doing so.

Glogower's clients released a statement following Tuesday's order, claiming that prosecutors only presented the three wanton endangerment charges against Hankison.

"Being one of the jurors on the Breonna Taylor case was a learning experience. The three weeks of service leading up to that presentation showed how the grand jury normally operates. The Breonna Taylor case was quite different. After hearing the Attorney General Daniel Cameron's press conference, and with my duty as a grand juror being over, my duty as a citizen compelled action," the statement said. "The grand jury did not have homicide offenses explained to them. The grand jury never heard anything about those laws. Self defense or justification was never explained either."

They said "questions were asked about additional charges," but the grand jury was told there would be none because the prosecutors didn't feel they could make them stick.

"The grand jury didn't agree that certain actions were justified, nor did it decide the indictment should be the only charges in the Breonna Taylor case," the statement said. "The grand jury was not given the opportunity to deliberate on those charges and deliberated only on what was presented to them. I cannot speak for other jurors but I can help the truth be told."

Yet another example of the system succeeding. It was never set up to protect someone like Breonna Taylor. For the System has always made clear that Black Lives DON'T Matter, and if you can get a Black guy to spout all this high-minded horseshit about "justice" and "knowing what it feels like as a Black guy" while all the while making it clear he doesn't, you couldn't find a more accommodating Judas than Danny Boy.

Oh, he'll go far this one. Just keep your eyes on D.C. He will be well rewarded for his bowing and scraping. They already gave him a White woman. Now all he needs is to walk over the bodies of a few more dead Black women and soon enough we'll be talking about Governor Danny Boy or Senator Danny Boy. Ain't no stoppin' him now!

You GO, Danny Boy. :Hug2:

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Federal charges against 5 officers (4 still active on the force) announced today:

...Former Detective Joshua Jaynes, 40, Detective Kelly Goodlett and Sgt. Kyle Meany, 35, were charged with submitting a false affidavit to search Taylor's home ahead of the Louisville Metropolitan Police Department's raid, and then working together to create a "false cover story in an attempt to escape responsibility for their roles in preparing the warrant affidavit that contained false information," according to court documents.
Ex-detective Brett Hankison is alleged to have "willfully used unconstitutionally excessive force ... when he fired his service weapon into Taylor's apartment through a covered window and covered glass door." He is charged with depriving Taylor and a guest in her home "of their constitutional rights by firing shots through a bedroom window that was covered with blinds and a blackout curtain," the US Department of Justice said.
The 46-year-old also faces charges of depriving three of Taylor's neighbors of their constitutional rights as, according to the indictment, the bullets he fired traveled through a wall in Taylor's home and into an adjacent apartment.
Jaynes and Meany stand accused of willfully depriving Taylor of her constitutional rights by drafting and approving a false affidavit to obtain a search warrant, while knowing "the affidavit contained false and misleading statements, omitted material facts, relied on stale information, and was not supported by probable cause," the DOJ statement said. Both men "knew that the execution of the search warrant would be carried out by armed LMPD officers, and could create a dangerous situation both for those officers and for anyone who happened to be in Taylor's home," it said.
Goodlett conspired with Jaynes and Meany to "falsify the search warrant for Taylor's home and to cover up their actions afterward," the statement said.
Jaynes and another detective tried to cover up their actions by drafting a bogus investigative letter and making false statements to investigators, according to the statement. Jaynes falsified a report in hopes of impeding a criminal probe into Taylor's death; Meany also made false statements, the statement said.
Goodlett and Jaynes met in a garage weeks after the botched raid and conspired to relay false information to investigators, the attorney general alleged.
"We allege that Ms. Taylor's Fourth Amendment rights were violated when defendants Joshua Jaynes, Kyle Meany and Kelly Goodlett sought a warrant to search Ms. Taylor's home knowing the officers lacked probable cause for the search," Garland said.
The affidavit falsely claimed officers had verified that the target of their drug trafficking investigation had received packages at Taylor's address, but Jaynes and Goodlett knew that was not true, Garland said.