New member, relatively new writer

AaronCarruth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.profitsbeforepancakes.com
On writing

About a half-decade ago, I wrote a children's book. I made a handful of unsolicited submissions. There was a bit of interest, but nothing materialized. I put the project on hold and moved on (which is ironic, considering the core theme of the story is perseverance). ANYWAY, I recently finished my first novel and once again began the hair-graying process of submission. The more I read, the more it seemed I had approached this industry in the wrong order. I forgot important bits, like building my CV with professional writing credits in journals, or developing an audience (my novel is narrative non-fiction and most publishers are keen to hear I've got a social media following... the trouble is, I don't).

Naturally, I panicked and then tried to simultaneously expand in every direction (with varied results).

I started a blog, an instagram account, and joined twitter. I have lists of short story contests that I want to enter, more ideas for novels to explore, and more books to read. And, I'm totally effing paralyzed by it all.

I joined this community to reach out and meet people who are likely going through the exact same sort of semi-crisis. I'm not sure where this is all headed, I just know that writing makes me feel great and that I want to do it forever.

Other stuff about me

I teach the eighth grade. I co-parent two small children (ages 4 and 5.5). I love golden era hip hop (80s-2000), amateur athletics, Studio Ghibli films, cookbooks, and Hans Zimmer.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Kerry56

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. Hope you find a few sections that help.

When you get bitten by the writing bug, it does tend to make permanent changes. I started when a character in my mind insisted on telling me his story. Now characters show up all the time and demand attention. Only my cats are worse. :)

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
All kudos to being a teacher, especially during Covid-19. One thing I've learned...? I'm not homeschooling parent material.

But writing and all the kinks and quirks of language? It's easy to fall in love with it, you just sometimes need to fall out of love with it too in order to see just how much you love it. Vicious cycle, where all you do is rinse and repeat.

Glad to have you with us! You take special care with teaching!

Mr_Woah_Woah

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! As someone who is also teaching during Covid, I wish you luck!

scribemeetsworld

Registered
Reaction score
Website
scribemeetsworld.com
Hi AaronCarruth,

I'm glad to hear that you returned to writing. That's awesome!

I'm not sure where this is all headed, I just know that writing makes me feel great and that I want to do it forever...I love Hans Zimmer.

Since writing makes you feel great, I think you have achieved success, no matter the outcome re: querying.

Did you know Hans Zimmer has a Masterclass? Might be a potential holiday present for yourself :D

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Welcome to AW! :welcome:

You hear a lot about needing writing credits to get ahead in publishing, but that's old info for the most part, at least in fiction - I imagine with non-fiction your credentials and experience matter more. Debut writers are a big thing in fiction and get a big push in many areas. If your book is good, it's good. Social media followings are not the be-all and end-all of things, but it does help to get the word out as a way of free marketing.