AW painfully slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Jeremy

Registered
Reaction score
I've tried AW on all browsers, cleared caches, cookies as well as deleted browsing history, restarted laptop, burned incense.....all to no avail. I feel awkward mentioning it, but it was this frustrating reason I found myself steering away from AW not long after I joined - I was really hoping things might have improved. I've read others are finding the issue problematic as well causing them to disengage from the site and was wondering if anything can be done.

Sorry to be a pain.

Just Jeremy

Registered
Reaction score
Apologies, I should have been clearer.

Everything takes a very long time to load, whether it be pages or reputation comments. The edit function on this thread presented me with just a blank white space with nothing to edit.

edited:My internet connection is also fast and reliable.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Late last year, AW got hit with a DDoS attack. The slowness you're seeing is an artifact of the protections that have been put in place.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
It's variable, but it's going to be slow because every transaction is checked.

We are, frankly, still being attacked.

We will be moving to a new server and software in the near future, which will help, but right now it's going to be slow when there are a lot of bots attempting to log in, post, etc.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
My GOD someone must be expending a lot of time, effort, and cold hard cash on perpetuating something that barely registers as an annoyance for us users (but must be aggravating as anything for our benevolent hosts. Seriously, thanks for everything you do, AW Admin!) Imagine if you took that kind of wherewithal and turned it towards, say, shutting down literary scam sites, or IP thieves, or something else.

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
My GOD someone must be expending a lot of time, effort, and cold hard cash on perpetuating something that barely registers as an annoyance for us users (but must be aggravating as anything for our benevolent hosts. Seriously, thanks for everything you do, AW Admin!) Imagine if you took that kind of wherewithal and turned it towards, say, shutting down literary scam sites, or IP thieves, or something else.

QFT. I had no idea we were still being attacked. It runs slow sometimes, but overall I wouldn't say it's that bad, especially if this is an ongoing problem. Jeez, some people.

Just Jeremy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm very grateful for the efforts of those who run or mod AW (or any of the forums I frequent).

Thanks for explaining what must be a frustrating situation for you.

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
To clarify, my comment about "some people" was the people with nothing better to do than attack a writing forum, not about you. I think it's reasonable to wonder what's going on after you've tried everything else to speed things up.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

That is, in fact, the motivation behind the DDOS attacks. And yes, we involved law enforcement.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
QFT. I had no idea we were still being attacked. It runs slow sometimes, but overall I wouldn't say it's that bad, especially if this is an ongoing problem. Jeez, some people.

I am at this point spending an inordinate amount of time and energy keeping the site online.

Part of the problem is that DDOS attacks are driven by bots, and bot nets of infected computers. Once you unleash it, it's pretty hard to put a bot net back in the box.

We have the license for the new software. We will need to pay someone to do heavy lifting moving the database to the new software.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We have the license for the new software. We will need to pay someone to do heavy lifting moving the database to the new software.

Thanks for all that you do. I’d like to send $$$ to help. Should I use the usual donation link?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all that you do. I’d like to send $$$ to help. Should I use the usual donation link?

If you're able to do that, it would be appreciated.

There's a memo field; please note that it's for the server move, if you want. Alternatively you can PM Mac to tell her.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Done. I don't know the magnitude of the costs AW bears for this, but hopefully my pennies help.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I ran maintenance checks and did some blocking of large groups of IPs.

It may help for a while, but they'll be baccckkkk.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
And it seems they are back. Minutes pass as I try to go from one forum to another. I cannot connect to AW at all through the email links. Sorry this has happened, it makes the site unusable, and I miss it.

pharm

profoundly de minimis
Registered
Reaction score
AW is very slow on my PC and laptop, but for whatever reason I can rarely get it to load at all on my phone anymore. I tried disabling my content blocker to see if that was the issue, but. No dice.

I'm glad the site's still accessible at all though. Wishing admin best of luck dealing with these ongoing DDoS attacks.

- - - Updated - - -

AW is very slow on my PC and laptop, but for whatever reason I can rarely get it to load at all on my phone anymore. I tried disabling my content blocker to see if that was the issue, but. No dice.

I'm glad the site's still accessible at all though. Wishing admin best of luck dealing with these ongoing DDoS attacks.

e. Also sometimes the site hangs after I click Post and creates strange duplicates like just happened here.

Last edited:

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Site is loading really slowly for me, too. :-(

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm so sorry you guys have to deal with this, but I'm very grateful you are doing what it takes to keep the site online.

I just can't fathom the nastiness of the people who commissioned and engineered this attack.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm so sorry you guys have to deal with this, but I'm very grateful you are doing what it takes to keep the site online.

I just can't fathom the nastiness of the people who commissioned and engineered this attack.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
There's no guys; it's just me.

Basically I'm just trying to keep things running until we move to the new server.

There's not a lot I can do. If you think it's slow for you, imagine what it's like for me trying to do standard maintenance and admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.