Vitamin D deficiency associated with worse COVID outcomes?

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0239799

PLOS ONE said:
Abstract

Background

To investigate the association between serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels and its effect on adverse clinical outcomes, and parameters of immune function and mortality due to a SARS-CoV-2 infection.

Study design

The hospital data of 235 patients infected with COVID-19 were analyzed.

Results

Based on CDC criteria, among our study patients, 74% had severe COVID-19 infection and 32.8% were vitamin D sufficient. After adjusting for confounding factors, there was a significant association between vitamin D sufficiency and reduction in clinical severity, inpatient mortality serum levels of C-reactive protein (CRP) and an increase in lymphocyte percentage. Only 9.7% of patients older than 40 years who were vitamin D sufficient succumbed to the infection compared to 20% who had a circulating level of 25(OH)D< 30 ng/ml. The significant reduction in serum CRP, an inflammatory marker, along with increased lymphocytes percentage suggest that vitamin D sufficiency also may help modulate the immune response possibly by reducing risk for cytokine storm in response to this viral infection.

Conclusion

Therefore, it is recommended that improving vitamin D status in the general population and in particular hospitalized patients has a potential benefit in reducing the severity of morbidities and mortality associated with acquiring COVID-19.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I saw something about this some months ago, but hadn't heard if it had panned out or not.

(I take D daily... well, close to daily, because sometimes I forget because Life. Pretty much everyone in my region is vitamin D deficient, apparently. Hopefully it does double-duty at helping if I get COVID...)

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve taking a daily D for over a year, because I’d heard that depression can be caused or made worse by D deficiency? I just recently read that I should probably also be taking magnesium with it, to aid in absorbing D, so there’s another pill for my regimen... :tongue

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Two D3s a day, one in morning and the other at night. Magnesium in the morning too. Between my skin, depression and lady stuff, I've got quite the regimen... :p

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I've been on D supplements for a while. I admit I back off a bit in the summer, when I go outside more, but I take it more faithfully in the winter, along with a calcium supplement. I have to put up with my spouse pointedly reminding me of all the science that shows that dietary supplements don't work, and may actually do harm. But I keep reminding him my doctor prescribed this one, and I did test as being on the low side in terms of vitamin D levels at one point when I was experiencing some health issues. Plus, a certain daily calcium intake is recommended for women past menopause, and if I ate enough to get it via my diet, I'd be even more of a blimp than I've already become since passing through "the change."

If the vitamin D connection holds up, might we see a higher death rate in the winter, independent of other factors that also influence death rate? People spend less time inside in the winter and therefore might have lower vitamin D levels overall, unless they supplement. But other winter-dependent variables could push death rate up too, such as more people catching it and being exposed to higher viral loads when spending more time indoors, gathering for the holidays etc.

Last edited:

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Some studies have shown a benefit from zinc, too. Which makes sense, studies have shown a benefit from taking zinc at the beginning of a cold or flu. I keep zinc on hand for when I’m afraid I’m coming down with something.

icedesperado

Registered
Reaction score
We've been taking vitamin D for months, just in case. That said, we live in California, so we haven't really been worried about being deficient until recently when the wildfire smoke blotted out the sun from the sky for a month and a half. Suddenly, vitamin D started feeling a lot more necessary.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
I've been taking a vitamin D supplement for a couple of years, prescribed by my doctor to combat post-menopausal osteoporosis. I also get alot of sun. If it helps against Covid, that's an added bonus!