• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Starting with a dream

Kimmie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently writing a YA teen romance (with a twist). I've started with the MC's dream about being about to kiss a boy in the perfect, but unrealistic, romantic setting. It's only about 10 lines but IMO it gives the reader an idea of how the MC lives in a fantasy land, dreaming of the perfect romance with the boy of her dreams.

I thought I was on to something good until I read the other day that starting with a dream is known as one of the worst ways to start a story. I'm considering changing it but I'm struggling to find a better opening. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this, or advice. As this is YA I don't know if it's more acceptable?
There are many references to this dream throughout the book (comparisons to real life and the MC talking about how her dreams don't always come true) so it's hard to leave it out completely.

Last edited:

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I will probably be in the minority, but I don't have a problem with it. The opening scene will either work by drawing your reader into the story, or it won't. Most readers are probably not cognizant of it being considered a faux pas, so if it suits your story (as it seems to do), I say, go for it.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Those "never do that" strictures exist because they've been done badly far too many times to count. And that's because they're hard to pull off successfully—they're too often boring, or cliche, or they have no immediacy to the plot and drop the reader off a cliff with a "gotcha!".

Whenever I see "never start your story with a dream", I'm immediately catapulted back to Manderley, to du Maurier's Rebecca, which begins with a dream sequence and is arguably one of the greatest pieces of literature of all time. The best, most memorable stories of the Bible involve dreams (Jacob's Ladder); Shakespeare often relied on dreams. So, yes, it can be done.

But, again, it's hard to pull off.

The imagery has to be there. The dream has to have immediate relevance to the plot, which will generally require a second hook as you begin your narrative.

Like indianroads, I say go for it if it's necessary to your story.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
One of my favorite (relatively) recent fantasy books, Emmi Itäranta's THE WEAVER, starts with a dream sequence. Dreams figure in the worldbuilding, so it works on a lot of levels; but I found it a beautifully-written and compelling start to the story.

Like Ari says, it's hard to do well. But if it's what your story needs, do it.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
A few thoughts:

One of the reasons it is 'frowned upon' (in my understanding) is that it is a bait and switch--when the dream ends, the story changes to 'real life.'

You can get around that by signaling that this is a dream up front. The dream was as lovely as ever, Neville's arms had drawn her close and jasmine hung heavy in the air...

Readers are tolerant of a lot. Some advice online is not from readers but agents, who have a different tolerance level and who read differently than readers. You would think the two would overlap but they don't always, possibly because:

The 'work life' experience of agents is to read upwards of the first five pages of a hundred manuscripts each week, instead of one or two full novels. Imagine fifty of those hundred queries with a dream. The agent starts to see opening with a dream as a lazy and cliche choice of the writer.

YA? Maybe more tolerant. ? Tolerance could possibly vary by age or genre.

Established authors can do things that unpublished writers can't, for reasons of existing audience base.

FWIW, all of the above applies to prologs as well. There are various ways 'not to start a novel' and I recommend 'How not to write a novel' for a funny, funny look at many of these ways.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
One of the reasons it is 'frowned upon' (in my understanding) is that it is a bait and switch--when the dream ends, the story changes to 'real life.'

You can get around that by signaling that this is a dream up front. The dream was as lovely as ever, Neville's arms had drawn her close and jasmine hung heavy in the air...

This is important—the opening of Rebecca, which Ari cited above, famously does this: “Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.” You know right away that you are in a dream—there is no chance of fooling the reader only to “gotcha” them later. I think that is a rather crucial element of opening with a dream sequence. There’s also a lot of subtlety in this one line (though it is followed with a rather lengthy description of the narrator’s dreamland visit to her former home)—there is immediacy in “last night,” and there is intriguing ambiguity in “again” — does it modify “went,” or does it modify “dreamt”? Either way it creates reader interest, because it establishes that Manderley is a place that the narrator has either been to, or dreamt about—or both—before.

In short, it’s a positively masterful opening line, and it shows why people say that even types of openings that are cliche and overdone can be pulled off if done with mastery. (Also Rebecca was first published in 1935, if memory serves; styles and preferences have changed rather a lot in the intervening near-century.)

At any rate, the problem with cliche and overdone tropes is not that nobody can do them with mastery. Rather it’s that because they are cliche and overdone, when one uses one, one begins with the deck stacked against one. As I said in a recent thread about wake-up opening, the fact that agents and editors see this type of opening frequently enough to complain about its frequency is sufficient to steer me away from it. Even if one can cite dozens of examples of it done well, why should I set out to start my story the way dozens of others start well and hundreds start weakly? Why not instead pick something particular to my story, something that makes my story mine, and start with that? It was an eye-opening way to think about the problem, for me.

OP, you say that dreams are important in your world, which is great—but the reader of the opening doesn’t know that yet; they only know that they’ve been snookered into thinking something was real (within the story) that wasn’t. Can you start somewhere else, and have the dream be present in the POV character’s mind? That will give you a chance to show the dream’s importance without literally starting with the dream itself. There are so many ways to show that a character is a dreamer who lives in a fantasy world (see Shirley Jackson’s The Haunting of Hill House for an example of a POV character who slips seamlessly into and out of fantasy); you don’t have to literally start with the fantasy itself to show that. (Also, a daydream and a sleeping dream are not in any way the same thing.) It’s something to think about, anyway.

:e2coffee:

Last edited:

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
Not exactly fine literature, but just for the "this is how it was used successfully" example--- when I was of a certain age, I used to devour Baby-sitters Club books. They were formulaic, and that was why I loved them. But because they were formulaic, there was a lot of forgettableness that just kind of blurred together--- but I still remember the opening to one story. It was basically along the lines of--

"I was daydreaming. In my fantasy, I had walked into Candy Land. Not the little kids' game, but a real world, where everything was made of candy..."

the purpose of it being to segue in the next paragraph about how the main character was diabetic, and how it affected her life, and so on.

So again, it's up-front about it being a daydream, but also serving as an excuse to delve into an aspect of the character's life right off the bat in an interesting way.

But just like it's cheating to end a story with the he-woke-up-and-it-was-all-a-dream ending, it's cheating to start a story with something interesting, and then confess shortly afterwards, oh, that wasn't real after all, here's the real story over here. :)

--edit--

I was thinking back to one of my favorite movies that's chock-full of dream sequences. "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" (1947, Danny Kaye). I was trying to remember how it opened---Walter is driving his mother, and his mother is complaining about him driving too fast, and he's tuning her out and imagining himself as a ship's captain struggling in a storm, with a broken arm and a damsel in distress. The first few minutes are a great introduction to him, his fantasy world, and his real life-- but having the contrast of his real life before we get to see him immerse himself in his fantasy land is important. So that would be one example of where the dream sequence comes in the first minute or so, but isn't the exact first thing that happens--- the way it's presented makes it clear that it's his refuge from a dissatisfying reality, but takes care to show the dissatisfying reality first.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There really are no rules. There are just things to think about. :Sun:

Meemossis

Registered
Reaction score
My husband and I always differ when talking about dream sequences. He hates them, where I don't mind them. I've even put one in my book, though I'm still drafting and my take it out. Personally, I would keep it in for now and give it to some betas to see if it works for them. After reading the entire story they may have some ideas.

Kimmie

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I have shortened it even more and literally started the next paragraph with a clear mention that it was a dream, just in case the reader hadn't actually worked it out (it's quite obvious)!
The only thing that worries me is that publishers might just throw it out because of this opening. I've got my first beta reader looking at it now so I'll see what they say!

TurbulentMuse

Muse
Registered
Reaction score
It might very well cause publishers to throw it out, so you really have to think about if it would hurt the story or not to take it out. I have a manuscript I'm working on that starts with a character waking up, which is also a big red flag, and I tried to combat that by showing that I'm not falling into the classic pitfalls of such an opening within the first line, which is "I woke up and I couldn't move." It's a full paragraph later before I get to why the main character can't move, but by mentioning it at the very start I show that this is not going to be a normal every-day morning routine. Starting with a sentence indicating that the character is dreaming would do a lot to show that you're not trying to bait-and-switch the reader, which is the real problem with dream sequences.

NINA28

Registered
Reaction score
I'm ok with dream sequences if they are relative to the plot. Example: dreams and the dream world play a part in the story. You could easily say a character is dreamy without showing the dream sequence by having her with people that need to pull her out of her 'zone out' moment and then move on with the plot. It's not the day dream she has, but the effect it has on her that's important. She could think of it throughout the day. I find it's always best to be up front with the readers and at the beginning is not the best place to say: "she's kissing a cute guy...actually no she's not." It's a disappointment and you want to avoid that. It has been pulled off a few times but by skilled writers who usually all ready had a career and had established themselves as skilled writers that people wanted to read which allowed them to break 'rules'. And many of them wrote their books many years ago when novels were different and what the audience wanted was different. The problem with dream sequences is, they are usually telling and now showing, they don't pull the reader in from the first line, and is distances us again when we're told it was just dreams. I'm not saying don't use them just maybe not as an opening.

There are no rules in writing just things to be wary of. I'd keep it the same way for now, finish it, edit it and then act for beta readers and see what they think. Sometimes it works and sometimes it just doesn't. In yours it may well work. So if you're unsure look to others for advice and preferably someone with more experience and knowledge than you.