Greetings to ALL!

Splashy

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am going by Splashy.

I am very new to this and have no clue what posting in the community will lead. But I'm sure that might be the case for a lot of others. I do write (part-time). I have a full manuscript and have no idea what to do next. It's the first one for me. So I guess I'm here to figure out the "what's next" and make connections with people who have been doing this for a very long time and others who are just as new to this as me.

So a little bit about myself. I started to write after college. Never thought that writing was something I wanted to do until I knew that I wanted my very own anime series. YES, I said it. ANIME SERIES! Anime had always been a massive part of my life. At a young age, I've watched Dragonball, YuYu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, etc. and to all the present great animes showing today. Anime is a subject that I know people might find weird and that it might be something that an adult should have grown out of. Yet, I love it, and it is the reason why I started writing.

My favorite book is The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. I never knew a book could be so fun to read. It was exciting, thrilling, adventurous, and all-around fun. It made me get the entire series, which is called the Gentleman Bastard series, and I would recommend it to everyone. My other favorites are The Dark is Rising Sequence by Susan Cooper and The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkein. I also enjoy reading manga (Japanese comics) and light novels (Japanese young adult novels). A manga I am currently up to date with is My Hero Academia by Kohei Horikoshi, and a light novel I've read but still haven't finished is Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash by Ao Jumonji. Both of these series have really good animes. The book I'm currently on is Three Days Missing by Kimberly Belle, and so far, it is fantastic and suspenseful.

This might be a little much for my first post, but if anything sparks your interest, leave a comment.

Thanks, everyone, and I hope we can have some great convos.

liam-lassiter

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Splashy!! It's nice to meet you! I'm in the same exact boat you're in, in terms of not new to writing but new to this type of forum. Hopefully we can learn together what we can do with our manuscripts, right?
Also, as a fellow lover of LOTR, nice :) And frankly, anime is just another type of creative writing art/platform, so I don't think you should feel any shame or anything of that sort about your passions. Passion is always a good thing in the creative sphere, and I'm happy you found a medium you love!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, Splashy. It's a perfect intro post. You tell us about your writing and what you read.
It's great. I hope you enjoy AW. :greenie

Splashy

Registered
Reaction score
Hey liam-lassiter

Hello Splashy!! It's nice to meet you! I'm in the same exact boat you're in, in terms of not new to writing but new to this type of forum. Hopefully we can learn together what we can do with our manuscripts, right?
Also, as a fellow lover of LOTR, nice :) And frankly, anime is just another type of creative writing art/platform, so I don't think you should feel any shame or anything of that sort about your passions. Passion is always a good thing in the creative sphere, and I'm happy you found a medium you love!

Thanks for your positivity. I do hope we can get our manuscripts ready for the next stage, but it is also nice meeting a comrade in arms. Lets help each other as much as we can. What do you like writing?

Splashy

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Chase. I will do my best to learn more about the AW community.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Splashy!

One of the 'next steps' is to learn about editing. And also querying. They are related skill sets to narrative fiction, but with their own distinctions.

Reading through excerpts and queries in Share Your Work can be a good way to develop your ear (and voice) for what works and what doesn't.

Your positivity is infectious. Welcome again.

Splashy

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Woollybear!

Thanks for the advice. It's been a busy day and I haven't gotten the chance to go through Share Your Work but will most definitely make some time for it. I've been trying to figure out ways to my craft my skills to be better and your advice is just what I needed to hear today.

Splashy

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Milotry!

Waiting for season five, but glad to have you here. Welcome to you as well!

Splashy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Splashy,

SFF author Rachel Aaron has a really good writing blog, and she often uses examples from anime. So that might be a good resource for you to check out -- in addition to all the ones on Absolute Write of course ;)

Hey Scribemeetsworld,

Thank you so much for your advice. Sorry that it took me a while to respond, I've been off in my own world lately and finally decided to open my computer today. I will definitely check her out.