RIP, RBG. 2020, just STOP Already.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
RIP Ruth Bader Ginsburg

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/18/1003...nsburg-champion-of-gender-equality-dies-at-87

Architect of the legal fight for women's rights in the 1970s, Ginsburg subsequently served 27 years on the nation's highest court, becoming its most prominent member. Her death will inevitably set in motion what promises to be a nasty and tumultuous political battle over who will succeed her, and it thrusts the Supreme Court vacancy into the spotlight of the presidential campaign.

Just days before her death, as her strength waned, Ginsburg dictated this statement to her granddaughter Clara Spera: "My most fervent wish is that i I will not be replaced until a new president is installed."

After years of fighting, the cancer finally caught up to her. Now the question is: what happens next?

Whatever does happen, there can be no silence. No complacency. Voting just got so much more important.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no. Oh I'm sorry to hear that.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
How fast do you think Moscow Mitch will repudiate his own senate rule ?

Answer: not fast enough. ( link )

-cb

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
"I would like to be remembered as someone who used whatever talent she had to do her work to the very best of her ability." - RBG

May we all be worthy of her efforts and results.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She fought long and hard. She will be missed. RIP RBG.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Our only hope is a few GOP Senators with a conscience. I think that is the case, especially with their own reelection looming.

Back up option, we take the Senate and POTUS back and follow through with the threat of expanding the number of seats on the court by ... oh let's say two or four more seats.

McConnell might take option #3): try to use it as campaign leverage.

If McConnell doesn't move for an approval vote, you can bet that means he doesn't have the votes.

Edited to add: If they try to push a SCOTUS nominee through you can bet that will piss off more voters than it will please.

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Our only hope is a few GOP Senators with a conscience. I think that is the case, especially with their own reelection looming.

Back up option, we take the Senate and POTUS back and follow through with the threat of expanding the number of seats on the court by ... oh let's say two or four more seats.

If McConnell doesn't move for an approval vote, you can bet that means he doesn't have the votes.

Edited to add: If they try to push a SCOTUS nominee through you can bet that will piss off more voters than it will please.

It's a good point that they can probably motivate more Republicans to vote for a Republican* presidential candidate if they think there's a SCOTUS seat at risk. OTOH, if McConnell doesn't believe Trump can win, he won't want to risk waiting... Of course, there's always that time between November and January when he'll know (probably) whether Trump won or lost, and the use as a motivator to get to the polls will be over. That's a dangerous time period, even if Biden wins.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
woooowww. I just thought she would go forever.

Fingers crossed for that wish of hers.

& thanks RBG, for everything

TeresaRose

Registered
Reaction score
A woman of the highest intelligence, and the strength and valor of an army. RIP, Madam Ginsburg

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I thought she would go on forever.

I'm crossing my fingers for the best outcome following.

And voting, of course.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I pray maybe a few of the Senators have a conscience, or at least a desire not to appear like complete hypocrites.

I fear there won't be any, or not enough. They're already shown how willing they are to follow their Glorious Leader, and the most extreme members of their own base, off a cliff if need be.

We will have to learn to fight for ourselves, and for the most vulnerable among us, because there is little chance the Supreme Court will do so anymore. Not even if Roberts turns sharply to the left. By saying he wants to appoint Cruz, Trump is essentially telling the American people he doesn't trust people with actual judicial standing anymore. He wants politicians on the bench, not people who feel any obligation to uphold any interpretation or understanding of the Constitution.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
F*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck!!!!!!!

:cry::mad::e2bummed::e2cry::mob:mothership:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
God, I just want to send big hugs and strength especially to the AWers here who are both grieving and frightened and threatened by this sad news.

Hold each other close.

xx

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com

I'm not sure about this. The GOP is all about stacking the courts and installing the perfect white 1950s dictatorship.

Yes, it'll piss a lot of people off. But will that even matter?

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I was having such a good evening with my husband and 16-year old daughter. She hasn't always been a bunch of fun lately, but we had a great evening. A good dinner, a fun game of Phase 10 followed by some rounds on our Elvira pinball machine. We had lights and music going, taking turns choosing songs. Definitely had been drinking a bit, but we were dancing and playing games and singing and having such a good evening.

Around 9pm, husband and I were done. I was ready to wind down and read a bit before bed. Husband came upstairs (pinball machine is in the basement), and I joined him a few minutes later. He'd turned on CNN out of habit, and the first thing he said when I came up the stairs from the basement was, "RBG is dead."

I thought he was joking. I was still singing to myself and kinda laughing from joy. I shook my head and said, "No...no. You're joking."

He wasn't.

Now I'm dejected and hopeless. Scared.

I was ready to ask my doctor to up my dosage of Zoloft, but I didn't think I'd have to ask her until after the election. I may have to ask her now.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Merged duplicate threads

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com

Hate to say it, but the GOP is not behaving like a party that gives a flying flip about legitimately winning any elections.

They have repeatedly doubled down on the most extreme parts of the party, making no bones about reshaping themselves around the public image of one figurehead.... who has, on more than one occasion, not only refused to say he would honor the results of an election, but has cast doubt upon the entire election process itself as "rigged."

They have also, even with these statements from their "leader", refused to lift the littlest of little fingers to secure elections or do anything about active ongoing foreign influence, even as they slash access to polls and purge rolls.

Are these the behaviors of people who honor the concept of elections, or of people who have decided - not without some precedent - that they're essentially above such concerns because they consider the fix to be in?

F*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck!!!!!!!

:cry::mad::e2bummed::e2cry::mob:mothership:

+1,000

I'm not sure about this. The GOP is all about stacking the courts and installing the perfect white 1950s dictatorship.

Exactly. Authoritarian regimes have no concern about the will of the majority, because might is right and they've got all the might they need to keep their grip on power (barring mass public mobilization, which has yet to happen.)

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
The last four years in a nutshell from my little corner of the planet: build a country on a bunch of gentlemen's agreements and then throw out those rules on the first opportunity.

-cb

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Anyone who still supports Trump is quite clear that the ends (recriminalizing abortion) completely, totally justify any and all means, not to mention Trump's many obvious failings. Read the interviews with Trump supporters. "Well, I wish he wouldn't tweet so damned much, but..."

Hypocrisy? *shrug* Liberals need to stop thinking that charge bothers them, or shames them, because it does neither.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I'm casting around for reasons not to panic.

- Nothing's changed yet. Tomorrow will be the same as today.
- There's still a justice system. Cases have to make it to the SCOTUS before this can make a difference.

I understand the parameters of both of those statements. But we do have a little bit of time to regroup.