Discovery Writers: Try outlining via Query

Drascus

Registered
Reaction score
I was reading queries in SYW to see if I had anything to add to the discussions and found myself wondering what the query for my WIP would be.

So I wrote one, and the process of doing that really helped solidify for me what I want the core of my story to be.

This isn't really 'outlining', but as a discovery writer I'm creating the story with a sense of where I want it to go. Now I feel like I know a lot better what's going to be important, what needs to be promised and paid off on.

I see a lot of advice out there for outliners, but not so much for discovery writers, so I thought I would share something that was helpful for me. If you have tips for discovery writing (aka pantsing, but I hate that word) then share them here! Otherwise, put your WIP query up and see if it inspires you! It may not bear any resemblance to the query you will eventually use but it will be fun to see what people have. Don't worry about critiquing the queries, this isn't SYW.

The Query I whipped up is below:

Liora Reznikova has a magic sword, a knight’s training, and a rune-powered motorcycle; but it’s not enough to keep her frontier town safe from monsters. In order to gain enough prestige to convince the empire to protect her home, she joins the elite 55th Special Cavalry Squadron. No sooner has her career started, than her unit is embroiled in a brazen coup attempt that pushes the empire to the brink of civil war.

With the fighting spreading like a wildfire, Liora’s strength attracts a pair of admirers that both want her to be more than a simple soldier. Natov Larin is a beautiful courtier who represents a princess at the heart of the conflict. His wit and charm are matched only by the power his patron has to transform the lives of Liora’s community. Competing for Liora’s attention is Duchess Ludriversha, an alluring republican orator with a penchant for flouting the social order. She offers freedom instead of favors, but freedom makes no promises of protection.

Liora must decide for herself what will best serve her people, her oaths, and her sense of honor, all while she attempts to understand the desires of her heart.

DISASTER TAILCOATS is a gender-queer novel of revolution, love, and magic set in an alternate-world Russian Empire in the 19th century. It is an adult fantasy novel complete at XX,XXX words that will appeal to fans of GIDEON THE NINTH and THE UNSPOKEN NAME.

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score
I think this is a pretty cool idea and have toyed with doing it myself now that I'm back in the writing swing with an old WIP that I'm discovery writing and determined to complete some day. I love reading the Query thread because it does force me to think about how I'd write one for my novel, and that really does push me to figure things out, at least somewhat.

Your novel sounds very interesting!

I might play around with trying this and posting here. We'll see!