Hello New Friends!

liam-lassiter

Registered
Reaction score
After lots of trial and error (shout out to lizmonster for straightening me out) I'm hoping I'm posting a proper introduction to myself in the right place.. that seems to be of importance here, and I plead total ignorance to how to navigate this type of forum. I even avoid Reddit because of its layout.
But anyway, I'm (hopefully) in the right place now, so this is my introduction! Hi, I'm Liam! I'm a 21 year old senior undergrad with hopes to get an English Literature and Creative Writing degree in the spring. I like to write all kinds of fantasy, magic and dragons are my forte, but I have written a 400k sci-fi novel so I can't say that's all I do, I write what I think is interesting which is... a lot of things. As a student, I don't get to read much for pleasure anymore, but when I do I like the kind of stories I like, fantasy, magic, dragons, the whole spiel, but any genre is good if it makes me feel something, right?
I have been writing for myself since I was at least 8-9, though my stories weren't great, I had enthusiasm! I started doing some freelance writing about 4 years ago, but that fell through when I was pressured to ghostwrite an entire novel for $50. :( feels bad, man
I do not like to beta read, I'm sorry, my classmates killed that for me.
As for hobbies, I am a 4 year veteran Dungeons and Dragons player and Dungeon Master (DM), and as such I consider myself a bit of a world-building and character study expert that has served me extremely well in my writing.
Oh, I hope once again I'm posting this in the right place.. I'd be so embarrassed if I did it wrong again. (〃´∀`)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

milotry

swamp dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Liam! I'm pretty new here too :) Kudos to you for being a dungeon master, I started playing D&D around four years ago as well, but I've never had the guts to DM anything. Completely agree with D&D being great for exercising character muscles.

Splashy

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Liam,

I too enjoy fantasy, magic and dragons, and other topics that involves magic. I have never played Dungeons and Dragons, but it is awesome that you are a DM (sounds very cool). I didn't really start writing until I was 25 and only do it part-time cause I also work. So my regular retuine would use part of my morning weekends to write a couple pages and figure out where my story is going. Also, do you play video games?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Liam!

Perhaps one day you will cross swords with my children, who are in your age bracket and have taken to various online D&D campaigning since stay-at-home became our new way of life.

Congratulations on completing your 400,000 word book.